Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are Progress to the left of Tony Blair?

Slo-mo

Banned
Banned
Not that it's particularly hard, given that Paddy Ashdown and Charles Kennedy were to the left of Tony Blair

I'm just reading some articles on their website. I can't join or support them personally because they are full blooded Remainers but I do wonder if those who call them Tories in all but name have got them a bit wrong....

its great to see them being wheeled out on the news to cry every now and then. Whatever else can be taken from the ascendancy of the labour left, watching those p/b supemarket wankers see their political project crumble into the wheelie bin of history was great.

Not that it's particularly hard, given that Paddy Ashdown and Charles Kennedy were to the left of Tony Blair

I'm just reading some articles on their website. I can't join or support them personally because they are full blooded Remainers but I do wonder if those who call them Tories in all but name have got them a bit wrong....
Progress was literally founded by three SPADs acting on behalf of the New Labour project. Its claim to be a spontaneous rising of Labour members in support of Blair can been seen through by just that fact. It was a very New Labour managerial move. Dropping the label "New Labour" after the Blair/Brown era has nothing to do with its views, and everything to do with it trying to remain relevant.

So, no, it wasn't then and isn't now to the left of Blair.

Progress are Blairite ultras. They're not "to the left" of Blair. They are, in fact, nailed to Blair's political views, including his desire for remaining in the EU. Get acquainted with a few of them, and you'll soon see there isn't a fag paper between the Red Tory bastards and the Blue Tory bastards. They're both right-wing, both anti-democratic, and both out for what they can grab.

Progress are Blairite ultras. They're not "to the left" of Blair. They are, in fact, nailed to Blair's political views,

So their are basically three groups in Labour today? Momentum on the left, Progress on the right.... and the 'traditional' Labour party of trade unions and public sector workers who don't belong to either grouping but both groups seem to want to claim to be the voice of?

Have I got that basically right?

So their are basically three groups in Labour today? Momentum on the left, Progress on the right.... and the 'traditional' Labour party of trade unions and public sector workers who don't belong to either grouping but both groups seem to want to claim to be the voice of?

Have I got that basically right?

Nope. :)
Momentum ARE on the left, and Progress ARE on the right, but different trade unions support different parts of the party. Unite obviously support Momentum openly, but most other TUs don't, they just have factions that do, just as they have factions that support Progress.

Progress was literally founded by three SPADs acting on behalf of the New Labour project. Its claim to be a spontaneous rising of Labour members in support of Blair can been seen through by just that fact. It was a very New Labour managerial move. Dropping the label "New Labour" after the Blair/Brown era has nothing to do with its views, and everything to do with it trying to remain relevant.

So, no, it wasn't then and isn't now to the left of Blair.

'Continuity New Labour'...

Back
Top Bottom