Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are bagels in New York better than bagels elsewhere?

i did have a salt beef bagel at Katzs Delhi in New York... it was too big to hold though, so not really to my taste. so from that no i don't think they are particularly better than a lot of london ones, though lots of food i did think was better.

i don't think most people have mustard on a breakfast do they? i don't really like cooked breakfast anyway so mustard probably woudln't help...

is it known for selling less good bagels than elsewhere though?
They're certainly overpriced, and Katz is nowhere to be seen in this listing of the Top Ten best bagel joints in NY:
http://gonyc.about.com/od/restaurants/tp/best_bagels.htm

Or in this top ten:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/bestof/winners/2010/bagel

Or this listing:
http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/10/serious-eats-finds-new-yorks-best-bagel-1.html

or here:
http://www.nyc10best.com/restaurants-and-food/new-york-citys-10-best-bagel-shops/

As with everything in the US if you want the best stuff you need to leave the supermarket and go to the producer, a farmer's market, or a smaller specialty grocery. There are excellent cheeses produced here, but its unlikely the UK will ever see them because only the mass produced cheeses get exported. To make flavorful cheese, you really need the ability to use unpasterized milk. Food laws forbade that for a very long time, but they have recently been loosened enough to allow it if the cheese isn't shippped more than X number of miles. So you get little pockets of great cheesemaking, but no outstanding nation-wide examples.

Katz's is famed for pastrami and brisket rather than bagels though. The bread there in general is pretty awful tbh.
The core products are good enough to outweigh the touristy stuff and the price, but it's not by any means a bagel destination.

nowhere have i claimed that it is a "bagel destination", or that it does the best bagels in new york. all i said was that i have had a bagel there. i am sure you have had one there too? i thought it was relevant to the op's question, as it was a bagel that i had in new york, and the question was "are bagels in new york better than bagels elsewhere", not "is the very best bagel in new york (from a non touristy bagel shop) better than the very best bagel in London".

Easy now, rutabowa, it wasn't a declaration of war. :D

Anyway, bagels are pretty simple, there's no magic secret ingredient. Freshness above all else is what counts; they degenerate from amazing to average faster than any other bread.
A bagel eaten outside the shop on Brick Lane will taste pretty much the same as one eaten outside the shop on Broadway, although ambience obviously plays a part. Bagels taste better - on average - in the US because there are more places making them fresh, therefore more people know what they're supposed to taste like, therefore they demand better standards. Imo at least.

Anyway, bagels are pretty simple, there's no magic secret ingredient. Freshness above all else is what counts; they degenerate from amazing to average faster than any other bread.
A bagel eaten outside the shop on Brick Lane will taste pretty much the same as one eaten outside the shop on Broadway, although ambience obviously plays a part. Bagels taste better - on average - in the US because there are more places making them fresh, therefore more people know what they're supposed to taste like, therefore they demand better standards. Imo at least.

Some friend told me bagels were so good in NYC because of NY water... Moreover there are plenty of people from LA people who order them from NYC, because water doesn't taste the same and that's the main difference, according to him!
My best ones were at Murray's

I think you'll find that America invented the dickhead, shortly after cream cheese in 1870

That's almost certainly as factual accurate as your remarkably deluded claim that a bagel isn't a bagel without the addition of an industrial cream cheese product. Before that they were simply different somehow. You're bonkers frankly.

Nope :) try again mate, but if you're tapping the same resource you're using for the rest of your info we might be here a while.

So, you don't make your own bagels even though someone in the beginning of this thread said you did? I apologize as I did not see you jumping down their throat for being mistaken.

Anyway, I still don't understand what I said that was so wrong.

3 places are known as bagel epicenters, according to wiki. New York, Montreal, and Brick Lane, with Brick Lane being the earliest, but not by much. They all use different methods, going back to when they first started making them. Therefore, the method used in New York makes bagels taste like bagels from New York. Here in the US, new York is know for having the best bagels. I had never heard of anywhere else, and since Cheesy who is British, was asking why people there think New York bagels are considered superior. I ventured a guess that it had to do with the long history.

Then I was misunderstood as thinking that cream cheese was invented in the states. Now, if you look back at other threads, I KNEW way before this thread that UK cream cheese existed but was different. A fact which *conveniently* nobody admitted until after mocking me. Again I did not literally mean "invented" as in it had never existed before. I meant to say developed the "philly" kind which is only really used for bagels and cheescake.

Third of all, I still just really think using a bagel as sandwich bread is odd. not that people don't do it here too. I just think it's wrong.

I think you'll find that America invented the dickhead, shortly after cream cheese in 1870

That's almost certainly as factual accurate as your remarkably deluded claim that a bagel isn't a bagel without the addition of an industrial cream cheese product. Before that they were simply different somehow. You're bonkers frankly.

well, enlighten me. what exactly do you put on bagels over there?

Back
Top Bottom