Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Arcade Fire 'Sexual Misconduct' Allegations

killer b

That vase.
i just read about this - happened two years ago - really talented ukg producer

Kiwi Rekords cuts ties with Mind Of A Dragon over sexual assault allegations​

under that is another new allegation

Woman accuses Dance Valley Festival director Brian Bout of rape and death threats​

music industry is full of it

Reading that Pitchfork article and in particular their statements at the end, Win & wife Régine have no idea what he's done wrong.

Reading that Pitchfork article and in particular their statements at the end, Win & wife Régine have no idea what he's done wrong.
I dunno, every word of their statements will have been carefully guided by the person they're paying a substantial sum of money to manage this crisis. You can't take it at face value as there's huge amounts at stake for them.

I dunno, every word of their statements will have been carefully guided by the person they're paying a substantial sum of money to manage this crisis. You can't take it at face value as there's huge amounts at stake for them.
Oh yeh. They both talk about consent and that's it - bar shade thrown on the women obviously.

I’ve seen lots of arguments about it not being illegal to have affairs, allegations aren’t serious/credible/don’t matter because I love them.

Mark Morriss seems to have got through his shitstorm ok. All is apparently forgiven and he’s touring so Win Butler will be just fine I reckon. 😡

I’ve seen lots of arguments about it not being illegal to have affairs, allegations aren’t serious/credible/don’t matter because I love them.

Mark Morriss seems to have got through his shitstorm ok. All is apparently forgiven and he’s touring so Win Butler will be just fine I reckon. 😡

Mark Morriss can't have a huge audience these days anyway, surely? Some fans will stick by, some won't. I suspect something will be shaved off the Arcade Fire audience because of this?

Mark Morriss can't have a huge audience these days anyway, surely? Some fans will stick by, some won't. I suspect something will be shaved off the Arcade Fire audience because of this?
That’s what I mean. If someone like Morriss can get past awful allegations, an artist with a following like Butler will be bruised but will ultimately be forgiven by fans.

Mark Morriss' musical career currently consists of playing the back rooms of provincial boozers, I'm not sure he's got past the allegations tbh
Not sure that’s massively different to before tbh. 😄 Maybe he was a poor example but I guess I was trying to think of someone without the fan base of someone like Butler.

I just don’t have any confidence that this stuff is being taken seriously.

He was touring with the Bluetones and playing venues like the Kentish Town Forum just before the allegations were published - that isn't going to happen again (There are Bluetones gigs being advertised on the internet, but they all seem to be an acoustic duo version of the band, playing venues not much bigger than the ones Morriss plays solo).

I dunno how much impact this will have on Arcade Fire, but I think it could fuck things up for them. They are much, much bigger than the Bluetones ever were mind...

Not sure that’s massively different to before tbh. 😄 Maybe he was a poor example but I guess I was trying to think of someone without the fan base of someone like Butler.

I just don’t have any confidence that this stuff is being taken seriously.

Another one is the ex singer from Kasabian, though his partner forgave him. I know a female Kasabian fan who now seems to be raging at the band, but still follows the ex-singer (Tom?). Everyone has different feelings on this stuff. It can depend on the nature of the allegations, whether they believe them, whether they can just turn a blind eye, whether they believe someone can reform, etc.

I read a news article saying radio stations are dropping AF's songs, so that's going to have some effect... though like, say, Michael Jackson's songs, they could always start playing them again when things die down.

To sum up the article Win Butler put his hand on a woman's inner thigh or crotch, sent some unwanted sexual texts, and one of his mistresses tried commit suicide because of the secrecy surrounding their affair.

He was touring with the Bluetones and playing venues like the Kentish Town Forum just before the allegations were published - that isn't going to happen again (There are Bluetones gigs being advertised on the internet, but they all seem to be an acoustic duo version of the band, playing venues not much bigger than the ones Morriss plays solo).

I dunno how much impact this will have on Arcade Fire, but I think it could fuck things up for them. They are much, much bigger than the Bluetones ever were mind...
I had no idea who he was, had to google. Turns out I met him at a party once. He seemed very popular, but was a bit of a knob. . . .though memorable enough for me to remember. The only other thing I remember was trying to steal a bottle of whisky under my jacket on the way out, only to discover it was full of coins. I ditched it in disappointment.

Oh damn, I was just looking at their London gig tickets yesterday. This will sour their music for me.

"Butler offered to put Pitchfork in contact with different women who had consensual sexual experiences with him in the past."

Oh that's okay then. If you've had someone who wanted to sleep with you it means you can't possibly be a creepy gropist.

Oh damn, I was just looking at their London gig tickets yesterday. This will sour their music for me.

"Butler offered to put Pitchfork in contact with different women who had consensual sexual experiences with him in the past."

Oh that's okay then. If you've had someone who wanted to sleep with you it means you can't possibly be a creepy gropist.
This bit struck me as particularly weird. Not only does it prove nothing, it's a bit of a creepy thing to ask your exes or put forward as a suggestion that might clear your name.
Like a little kid accused of being gay in the playground who stamps his feet and says "Am not, just ask Wendy Dewbery's sister, I fingered her behind the bike sheds" PROOF.

I have black friends!

This bit struck me as particularly weird. Not only does it prove nothing, it's a bit of a creepy thing to ask your exes or put forward as a suggestion that might clear your name.
Like a little kid accused of being gay in the playground who stamps his feet and says "Am not, just ask Wendy Dewbery's sister, I fingered her behind the bike sheds" PROOF.
He's probably like, "Moss said Depp is nice in court so mebbe I'll give the ex thing a go"

To sum up the article Win Butler put his hand on a woman's inner thigh or crotch, sent some unwanted sexual texts, and one of his mistresses tried commit suicide because of the secrecy surrounding their affair.
And unsolicited dick pics and going for younger fans or people he could mentor. Thin ice.

Reactions: Sue
Nothing to see here, move along etc.

While this is obvs pretty fucking gross, I do wonder what would have happened if people were as enlightened as they are now as to wrong this behaviour is back in the 60s/70s, hell even the 80s. Well, actually, every decade. It's just women (and in fewer cases, men) feel more confident to come forward now. Social media has probably played a role too.

One of my ex-gfs was invited onto the tour bus in France of a very well-known rock band in the 00s, a band who has never had any controversy, with her friend. Both 17 years old. I'll leave it there. She didn't say it was a bad experience tbf, but clearly the guy in question was using his fame to lure pretty young things.

I do wonder if female rock stars behave like this... never seem to hear of that. It seems to be a male affliction.

I do wonder if female rock stars behave like this... never seem to hear of that. It seems to be a male affliction.
Plenty of older female stars are into younger guys (Madonna springs to mind) - but I don't know, maybe because men are physically stronger than women there doesn't seem to be the same feeling of abuse (from the men in question? But hey, maybe they just don't say anything because it's not seen as "manly"). But I also think that the physical + position of power takes the balance one way too much?

Is she sexually taking the initiative, sending naked photos of herself, grabbing their arses/penis without asking first? Somehow it's not viewed as damaging when done by women, once again, because of the physical strength. But you know, I don't think that's ok either.

Oh I know this is inappropriate but if PJ Harvey had invited me onto her bus as a 17yo lad I don't think I would have reported her :D

Back
Top Bottom