Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Camden's Koko club (Music Machine/Camden Palace) is on fire: 6th Jan 2020

There's about to be a feature on the venue on Robert elms in the next 2 mins... Usually good, including call in memories
BBC London radio that is

I hated Feet First but somehow used to end up there every other week. And always appreciated the magnificence of the building itself. Saw a couple of very good gigs there when it was Kokos too.

Was that like the new bands night?

Was that like the new bands night?
It was a Tuesday late night with a lot of Spanish and Italians. Mostly Djing but with a short set from a normally established band. Cost a quid with a flyer.

Feet First
Tuesdays at Camden Palace, Camden High Street, Camden
In the heart of Camden Town, Feet First is always well worth it. Jonathan and Eko play all sorts of music from Weezer to Pulp, although it tends to be the heavier end of the indie spectrum, so expect to hear the likes of Smashing Pumpkins, Placebo and Feeder as well as that week's Xfm radio station's playlist. The thing that sets Feet First apart from the rest is the live set. A band, normally one you would have actually heard of, plays a set of about half an hour's length at about midnight. Sometimes the reaction is to basically rock out, sometimes it's to look from a balcony of this enormous venue with curiosity. Whatever, this is a real quality night, which isn't surprising when you know it's by far the capital's longest running indie night.
From here. h2g2 - London Indie Clubs - Edited Entry

Last went a year ago for a trance night. Went to Feet First when I was a teenager too. Acoustics okay if you find the right spot downstairs.
Really beautiful venue and the terrace is nice for a fag.

First visit in a shirt and tie, when that was de rigueur, then 6th form days to Feet First, followed by Friday and Saturdays when the rave took hold. Chris Paul's Orange on Fridays was where the madness began really

I played there several times!

Sad to see how many clubs from those listings have gone.
I remember one night the midnight band (after googling who sang 'Jesus loves America') was The Shamen & another time it was Gene loves Jezebel so some fairly big acts.

What bands were you in when you played there?

Aye.

I am probably cynical but whenever I see a commercial building on fire my first thought is 'insurance job' :facepalm:

Well... It's generally a really fucking stupid idea to burn a building you're already doing construction work on. Construction sites can be pretty bad fire hazards, especially in older buildings... Even where it's a very high value project (Glasgow Mackintosh, Cutty Sark etc). Though I suppose if you're about to hit the bottom of your funds and declare bankruptcy anyway (I have no idea whether this is the case)... Could seem more attractive.

Although if the dome is replaced with a nice glass one with a bar in it... well...

Bizarrely I think I've never actually been there, despite growing up in Camden.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom