Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone going to look out for the Northern Lights tonight?

Caithness last night

995590_700352583332143_674511362_n.jpg
that's a fucking good picture

My caithness relatives were all on facebook last night raving about the display. I was lucky enough to see them years ago whilst on holiday up there. Absolutely stunning stuff.

No, on Sunday night (as per the article). The class G4 storm (G5 is the highest), due to an Earth facing coronal mass ejection event (big belch of solar wind), a CME, arrived early-mid evening on Sunday, hence the display (planetary K-index peaked around ~8; seen as far south as France). Also seen in the early stages in the pre-dawn skies in SE Australia, producing spectacular results.
Lenah Valley, Tasmania, 24 April 2023. Saxony, Germany, 23 April 2023. Pulawy, Poland, 24 April., 2023.

It has now passed - the geomagnetic field is relatively quiescent (planetary K-index is currently ~1; poor auroral viewing). Another CME has occurred though and that is due to arrive on the 27th, perhaps the afternoon timeframe, probably producing a minor storm (maybe around class G1, only glancing the Earth), so probably low-moderate auroral activity.

Summary: you are unlikely to see anything as spectacular as was seen Sunday night/Monday morning (insert standard disclaimer: that solar activity forecasting on short timescales is typically even less predictable than terrestrial weather).

Last edited:
No, on Sunday night (as per the article). The class G4 storm (G5 is the highest), due to an Earth facing coronal mass ejection event (big belch of solar wind), a CME, arrived early-mid evening on Sunday, hence the display (planetary K-index peaked around ~8; seen as far south as France). Also seen in the early stages in the pre-dawn skies in SE Australia, producing spectacular results.

It has now passed - the geomagnetic field is relatively quiescent (planetary K-index is currently ~1; poor auroral viewing). Another CME has occurred though and that is due to arrive on the 27th, perhaps the afternoon timeframe, probably producing a minor storm (maybe around class G1, only glancing the Earth), so probably low-moderate auroral activity.

Summary: you are unlikely to see anything as spectacular as was seen Sunday night/Monday morning (insert standard disclaimer: that solar activity forecasting on short timescales is typically even less predictable than terrestrial weather).
I think it's still so exciting when you can see fuck all, and then you take a few snaps of the sky and there's colours everywhere!

I keep meaning to view this as though I’m a long way south I can get into Dartmoor within 30 mins and I have an app that gives me alerts.

First I ought to go to the best viewing spots in daylight though really

I got the red warning on my app this evening but I'd have to go for a drive to see anything.

So do any of the weather buffs know why we're getting Northern lights so often so far south these days?

We had a green sky here in Yorkshire but I had my hands full transporting coal, should’ve got phone out!

Back
Top Bottom