Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's on the Outer Hebrides?

This thread is worth a read:

Visiting the west coast in August - midge mayhem?

You won't need to learn Gaelic and Squirrels are IME best found in Highland Perthshire/Rothiemurcus.

If you want the full Western Isles Sunday experience, go to Scalpay. The playground still gets chained-up and you will be scalped if you have a meal in the only cafe there.

I used to go to Scalpay as a lad. There was a little fishing boat called the Morea, that made the journey daily. This was long before the bridge was built. There was supposed to be a fare, but kids were ignored. :D

We lived on Harris for six years, idyllic times, although today's kids would probably regard it as a deprived childhood. :)

"In" the Hebrides, not "on". You wouldn't say "what is there to see on Ireland?" or "on Great Britain?"

On. Why? Because you are 'on' an island. In my time of living on Harris, (Postal address Harris, Isle of Harris :)) I don't recall a single person referring to living 'in' Harris, always 'on'. [/Pedant mode] :D

St Clements Church at Rodel is well worth a visit, the Butt of Lewis is spectacular with the diving gannets and the beaches are stunning. The stones at Callanish and the broch at Carloway are well woth a visit.

Be very careful whilst driving. The main road from Stornoway to Tarbert is double track, most of the rest are single track with passing places. Blind corners and steep drops abound, take it gently, always be ready for an emergency stop. Sheep do not automatically give way. :) The bolshie ones will face up to the car as if they are contemplating charging at it. :)

If you go as far as Amhuinnsuidhe, you come round the corner and see this.

LiJq6sX.jpg

It was once owned by Tom Sopwith, of Sopwith Aviation (Sopwith Camel), who won the estate in a card game. :D When we lived on Harris, my parents were friends with the Estate Factor, who lived in the castle. I spent many hours wombling about. It was very much faded grandeur then, I recall a circle of assegais (sp) on the wall of the first landing of the main staircase, and a circle of muskets on the end walls of the hall.

When there hadn't been a lot of rain, the burn that fed several lochs was too low for the salmon to go up, the bay was full of them, dorsal fins breaking the water like sharks. If I go through my late father's several thousand undocumented slides, there may be a picture. I recall dad fishing off the rocks at the burn mouth, landing tree salmon (for the pot) in twenty minutes, all foul hooked.

Last edited:
If you go as far as Amhuinnsuidhe, you come round the corner and see this.

And if you keep-on going past Amhuinnsuidhe, the beach, machair and sheltered bay across the neck of the peninsula at Huisinis will reward you greatly - and its a good place for a wild overnight. :)

45245714.f47471a3.1600.jpg

And sheep are not your main worries on that road - It was a full herd of highland coos at one point! :eek: :D

The time before that I was at Amhuinnsuidhe, Robert Hardy was in residence - Apparently he was a regular guest.

The first house we lived in.

xJ6Bcb0.jpg

The last house we lived in. My father had become the Road Surveyor for the Hebrides in the interim, the house came with the job. Six bedrooms, a maid's room, scullery and kitchen, huge larder... it was immense. There were 36 mature pine trees in the back garden. Of course, in the Winter, the kitchen and living room were the only ones heated, you awoke with ice on the inside of the window. :)

ew5m8Nq.jpg

The bridge to Scalpay.

oRSAStv.jpg

A general sea shot. Yes, the colour is real. :)

eZ416Ea.jpg

We went over year before last for a long weekend, first time I'd been back in five decades, Mrs Sas has never seen it. Funny thinngs preconceptions, Mrs Sas expected it be less advanced than Islay, and was astonished to find traffic lights in Stornoway. Pop. Stornoway is greater than that of the whole of Islay.

May go back for longer, wouldn't mind camping, but Mrs Sas may have a different view on that. :D

And if you keep-on going past Amhuinnsuidhe, the beach, machair and sheltered bay across the neck of the peninsula at Huisinis will reward you greatly - and its a good place for a wild overnight. :)

And sheep are not your main worries on that road - It was a full herd of highland coos at one point! :eek: :D

The time before that I was at Amhuinnsuidhe, Robert Hardy was in residence - Apparently he was a regular guest.

My father built that jetty. It was to serve the population of Scarp, two jetties built, one at each end. The population used the new jetties to decamp en masse, forf a while no one lived there. The next inhabitants, a couple, made it 100% heroin dependent.

There was an experiment carried out into the viability of rocket mail Gerhard Zucker - Wikipedia, the people we first stayed with when we arrived, the chap had built the platforms for the rockets.

Is this one of them perchance? :D

T37suBV.jpg

My father built that jetty. It was to serve the population of Scarp, two jetties built, one at each end. The population used the new jetties to decamp en masse, forf a while no one lived there. The next inhabitants, a couple, made it 100% heroin dependent.

There was an experiment carried out into the viability of rocket mail Gerhard Zucker - Wikipedia, the people we first stayed with when we arrived, the chap had built the platforms for the rockets.

Ahh...! I knew about the Rocket Mail but it didn't click that this was Scarp. :oops:

Looks like at least a couple of the cottages on the island are inhabited - if only as holiday homes? I spent a good couple of hours relaxing amongst the soft grass of the machair with my binoculars, studying the island, cliff face and bird life out on the water. :)

Ahh...! I knew about the Rocket Mail but it didn't click that this was Scarp. :oops:

Looks like at least a couple of the cottages on the island are inhabited - if only as holiday homes? I spent a good couple of hours relaxing amongst the soft grass of the machair with my binoculars, studying the island, cliff face and bird life out on the water. :)

If you ask about it on Harris, you'll be told the rocketeer was Von Braun, it wasn't it was Zucker. I bid an insane amount on a Scarp rocket mail (badly singed) cover, but didn't win it.

May go back for longer, wouldn't mind camping, but Mrs Sas may have a different view on that. :D

Good camping - ie with modern and indeed excellent facilities at Stornoway and Shawbost, that would suit the most unconvinced camper and plenty of adequate/more rough and ready sites south of Tarbert - South Harris Estate have laid-out a good number of very small/basic sites on its land. Think they ask three quid a night via Paypal.

Good camping - ie with modern and indeed excellent facilities at Stornoway and Shawbost, that would suit the most unconvinced camper and plenty of adequate/more rough and ready sites south of Tarbert - South Harris Estate have laid-out a good number of very small/basic sites on its land. Think they ask three quid a night via Paypal.

I'm going to camp for a night on Jura in August, see the stars properly again.

Fuck me! It is fucking snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Fuck me! It is fucking snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I noticed that when I went out to change the cat litter.

Pity, I was also thinking on taking the tent down to check it over before the first trip of the year. Maybe I'll leave that till after the weekend...? :D

On. Why? Because you are 'on' an island. In my time of living on Harris, (Postal address Harris, Isle of Harris :)) I don't recall a single person referring to living 'in' Harris, always 'on'. [/Pedant mode] :D
Sgitheanachs say "in Skye". Orcadians say "in Orkney". Everyone says "in the Hebrides". But I accept your evidence that Hearachs say "on Harris".

And confirmed by my wife and sister in law, Ileachs say 'On Islay'. :D
Islay is small. I can understand that. I've been to Canna many times and I've been trying to remember if they say "in Canna" or "on Canna". (Most of them actually live on/in Sanday, though).

Back
Top Bottom