Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's on the Outer Hebrides?

I've been to that beach/airport - didn't get a flight but saw the plane land - awesome. :thumbs:

My father was the road surveyor for the islands, and spent a week a month visiting them all. I used to go with him in the Summer holidays. When I was sent to the office at Benbecula airport to enquire when the flight to Barra was, I thought it was a wind up when I was told that due to an unusually high tide, there would be a delay. We flew to Barra, but took the ferry back.

I've been on Eigg, my father was the Road Surveyor for Lochaber, the Small Isles were part of his fiefdom.

Been on:

Harris
Lewis
North Uist
Benbecula
South Uist
Barra
Eriskay
Vatersay
Eigg
Muck
Rhum
Scalpay
St Kilda (Army)
Islay
Skye
Mull

Small Isles - Wikipedia
No Berneray? Or is that thought of as part of North Uist? I wondered this while I was over there. One thing I noticed about the Outer Hebrides (particularly N Uist) is it's easy to drive over a causeway and not really realise you've gone onto another island. We stayed on Grimsay and found ourselves going 'Are we still on Grimsay or Benbecula now?' a couple of times. The causeways are fantastic - if it was your Father that built those, Sas, that's something to be very proud of, imo. :) Also, 'Otters Crossing' signs - you can't have too many of them.

So I've only been the once but we crammed a fair bit in so my list is:

Lewis
Is Point a separate island? We had a drive out there one afternoon.
Harris
Great Bernera - if you have to cross 'The Bridge Over The Atlantic' to get to it, that qualifies as an island if not an entirely separate nation imo. :D
North Uist
Benbecula
South Uist
Scalpay
Grimsay
St Kilda
Taransay
Eriskay
Baleshare
Skye (as a kid, I've no recollection of this), and Mull too, I think.

Barra and Mingulay on the list for next time. Shiant Isles and Monach Islands look fantastic too.

Doer-upper for sale, Harris. Needs a bit of work, made out of tin, possibly a little remote. Other than that, awesome.

Doer-upper for sale, Harris. Needs a bit of work, made out of tin, possibly a little remote. Other than that, awesome.

That beach is pretty rubbish mind...

150k for 1 bedroom! Apart from anything else where will your guests stay? :hmm: :D
In a tent. :D I think you only get the tin bit. Not sure if the actual cottage is even part of it. :D 150K is for the view and that's it, I think. :eek:

If it was for the whole thing someone would knock it down and build something flash there I bet. There's some very swanky Nordic-style places around Luskentyre, someone would stick one of them up there.

Back
Top Bottom