Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Any experts on parking laws around?

People vote for the Conservatives. So that invalidates all arguments as to why it would be better if the Conservatives weren't in power. We just go along with whatever there's 'natural support' for at the time, and don't waste effort in trying to argue for change.

The issue is not about whether people should be able to opt out of a service once it's been decided that it's something worth paying for through taxation. It's whether free parking, on public land, for privately owned vehicles is something that should be provided as a 'service'. My view is that it should not be.
And that is a perfectly valid viewpoint

Increase parking charges = more money for public transport.

You're welcome.
I think taxing cyclists would be an excellent idea, and a great way to claw in some much needed revenue. Nothing too excessive, maybe £10 a year for children under 16, and £50 for adults, with subsidies for students and anyone on benefits. This would at least help offset the cost of building cycle lanes a little, and would free up some cash to subsidise public transport.
That's less than £1/week for a working adult. I'm sure nobody could argue against such a small fee, especially so when you consider it would be helping those less fortunate than them, such as people with disabilities, and others who have no choice but to rely on public transport.

I think taxing cyclists would be an excellent idea, and a great way to claw in some much needed revenue. Nothing too excessive, maybe £10 a year for children under 16, and £50 for adults, with subsidies for students and anyone on benefits. This would at least help offset the cost of building cycle lanes a little, and would free up some cash to subsidise public transport.
That's less than £1/week for a working adult. I'm sure nobody could argue against such a small fee, especially so when you consider it would be helping those less fortunate than them, such as people with disabilities, and others who have no choice but to rely on public transport.
How would you collect it? Much like cars you would need a central database of cycles with an initial entry whenever a new one is sold and the database updated when one is sold on. You would end up with a vast market for untaxed and unlicensed bicycles. We already have this problem with unlicensed/untaxed cars and cars are much easier to track than bikes owing to a) being far bigger and harder to hide and b) having a large machine readable number plate at each end. With bicycles someone would have to stop them and check them with a bar code reader or some such. Doing it on a sufficient scale would be prohibitive.
I know teuchter's hatred of the automobile is a bit OTT but personally I have no great issue if some of the money I paid in car tax was/is used to subsidise public transport, I do actually get the bus or train on occasions just because I have a car doesn't mean I always use it, sometimes I accept the fact that I am paying for it to just sit in my drive giving me an extra transport option that I choose not to use.

We should pay cyclists for their sterling work in reducing healthcare costs.

Ah yes, but the money from the bone-crushingly high parking charges goes into subisdising public transport, vital for carless locals particularly in remote places where commercial bus services may not be profitable.

That would be illegal.

A train, when they jump the red lights at a level crossing, or a bus, when they ride down the inside of it.
Why would anyone ride a bike down the inside of a bus wouldn't be easier to just sit in a seat like the other passengers ?

We should pay cyclists for their sterling work in reducing healthcare costs.

Oh, we have. Round these parts we have paid tens of millions for bike lanes to be put in, not that they get used that much or correctly :hmm:

When I was riding, I used to reckon on one hospital trip a year, usually for a break but once for concussion and stitches (the only time by ambulance)

Oh, we have. Round these parts we have paid tens of millions for bike lanes to be put in, not that they get used that much or correctly :hmm:
Fortunately someone at Westminster councul has seen sense and they've removed some from around here. That exercise in moronicity which made one of the two lanes a cycle lane along Cumberland Gate has now been ripped out and restored to a 2 lane road.

Come South a few yards. TFL moved kerbs, moved drain openings, lampposts, traffic lights, bus stops before splashing that nice blue paint all over the road.
Guess what, many many cylists still RACE along the towpath which runs parallel to York Road/Battersea Park road :mad:
They wouldn't dare remove the bike lanes what with all the cost already thrown at them.

^ this.

Pathetic how whinging car owners try and pull the 'what about the poor people' card when they are actively making poorer people's travel choices worse by choosing to drive, not to mention the damage they do to the countryside they are heading off to enjoy.
I know this is an ancient post, but I live inGerrards Cross (been looking for a way to escape for 5 decades) and the in,y people who use the buses here are OAPs with passes (school buses notwithstanding. As an aside, can we go back to non-American school buses…?). There virtually aren’t any anymore; the 305 and 335 go to Slough about once a flood, and the X1 goes to Heathrow terminals 3 and 4 (i’ve no idea about terminals 1, 2 and 5). It’s moot as you’ll miss your flight if you rely on it. Then there’s the A40 bus which goes to Wycombe.

I can’t drive, but here that means I’m in a minority of 1. I need to move somewhere which is a bit more conducive to my needs. This is an utter shitehole which, since the referendum, has been overrun by Kippers. The CCP has been completely taken over by hardline Brexiters, who are attempting to oust Grieve. Beaconsfield voted Remain, but the margin was less than 1%, hence Jackson Ng’s attempt at a coup.

I’m disabled and GX is probably one of the worst places in the country to be a disabled adult.

See, all you stop bleating twats. Ever heard of the plastic bag charge? 5 tiny pennies has massively cut their use. So now the same has happened with Surrey's rural car parks, use of the countryside has fallen, Surrey Wildlife Trust's income has taken a large hit, fly tippers are moving in.

And scum like co-op who think that owning a car makes you so rich that they don't care about you, well, they can fuck right off, nasty, horrible wanker.
There used to be such a thing as Motability before the Tories decided you had to be practically dead to qualify. Might as well not exist now.

I have a DPRC (well, used to, not much need for it these days). Yes, it cost me £55 for 3 years, but it used to make train tickets affordable - now look at the fucking state of it - there are people going from Newcastle to the West Country via Marbella, because it saves them about 75% of the direct single fare! Of course Brexit will put the kibosh on that.

My railcard would be worthless now. Prices are unaffordable even with it.

S3, baby Audi. And not insured, the twonk.

Airport drop off charges, not paid by chauffeur drive services, just another tax on the plebs.

Councillors vote to scrap countryside parking charges

Dropped.

Mostly due to the fact that they are preventing the poorest in society from leading active and healthy lives. Something the tory brown-nosers on this thread don't feel is real or relevant.

The charging to 15 of 30 car parks was introduced in the summer of 2018 to generate money for the Countryside Estates. The decision sparked a huge backlash from the public with petitions and questions raised at meetings.

Although figures show an overall net income of £61,000, it cost around £300,000 to install the machines and set the scheme up.

So, that's about 1/4 million down the plughole, before you add in the cost of removing the machines. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom