Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Any experts on parking laws around?

Parking charges are a massive injustice and restriction on the freedoms of the common man. They're imposed by busybody jobsworth councillors in order to punish the public for having the temerity to exercise their God-given right to use the roads.

In this case the council are literally closing the countryside, stealing it from the citizens by charging the equivalent of one whole litre of petrol to park there, effectively prohibiting everyone who isn't on a boss's salary from leaving the confines of their miserable little towns.

Oh look, another one with zero empathy.

I can pay up, tis a drop in the fucking ocean to me. People such as my sister, a school administrator who lives 20 miles away from me who has stopped visiting Chobham Common (closest to her) and can not come for walks with me at Rodborough Common as the charges eat in to her exceptionally tight budget and she refuses to take more charity from me than what she does.

Of course, according to heartless cunts that is faux concern for the poor :rolleyes:

Nah, car drivers bleating over paying to park, still don't give a shit.

But I'm kind of loving the "heartless cunts vs the poor motorists" narrative. Ever think you've got this one out of proportion? Just pay for your parking ticket and stop crying.

Parking charges are a massive injustice and restriction on the freedoms of the common man. They're imposed by busybody jobsworth councillors in order to punish the public for having the temerity to exercise their God-given right to use the roads.

In this case the council are literally closing the countryside, stealing it from the citizens by charging the equivalent of one whole litre of petrol to park there, effectively prohibiting everyone who isn't on a boss's salary from leaving the confines of their miserable little towns.

*spontaneously bursts into tears*

See, all you stop bleating twats. Ever heard of the plastic bag charge? 5 tiny pennies has massively cut their use. So now the same has happened with Surrey's rural car parks, use of the countryside has fallen, Surrey Wildlife Trust's income has taken a large hit, fly tippers are moving in.

And scum like co-op who think that owning a car makes you so rich that they don't care about you, well, they can fuck right off, nasty, horrible wanker.

You can’t get to Newlands Corner except by road. There’s a big car park that is well hidden from view and then tens or even hundreds of acres of forest to wonder in.

How many people from London are prevented from taking driving holidays around Scotland due to the cost of petrol? Abolish petrol charges now!

:D

Well I guess we disagree, but I have to say I admire the way you've kept a sense of proportion and not lost your sense of humour. It's weird how *some* motorists seem to think the world should be designed around their every whim and descend into infantile tantrums the minute it isn't, but I can see you're not like that at all.

:D

Well I guess we disagree, but I have to say I admire the way you've kept a sense of proportion and not lost your sense of humour. It's weird how *some* motorists seem to think the world should be designed around their every whim and descend into infantile tantrums the minute it isn't, but I can see you're not like that at all.

I can see how you dismiss a single mother who has spent the past 15 years on the breadline as a snivelling baby though. Which ties in nicely with you agreeing with the scum-fucker tory cunts who've done this. Nice to see your true colours.

I can see how you dismiss a single mother who has spent the past 15 years on the breadline as a snivelling baby though. Which ties in nicely with you agreeing with the scum-fucker tory cunts who've done this. Nice to see your true colours.

I think you need a little lie down.

Oh look, another one with zero empathy.

I can pay up, tis a drop in the fucking ocean to me. People such as my sister, a school administrator who lives 20 miles away from me who has stopped visiting Chobham Common (closest to her) and can not come for walks with me at Rodborough Common as the charges eat in to her exceptionally tight budget and she refuses to take more charity from me than what she does.

Of course, according to heartless cunts that is faux concern for the poor :rolleyes:
The philanthropist’s burden :(

You can’t get to Newlands Corner except by road. There’s a big car park that is well hidden from view and then tens or even hundreds of acres of forest to wonder in.
It's right on one of the country's most well trodden long distance footpaths, which is one of several options to access it on foot from Guildford which has two train stations and a bus station. You can also walk there from Chilworth station a couple of km away on another well established footpath. It's also on a not very frequent bus route, which could run more often if people used public transport instead of their cars.

I have been to Newlands Corner many times on foot and by bike, without use of any supernatural powers.

To the car driver it is a convenient, large car park 'hidden from view' next to a fast road.

If you approach Newlands Corner on foot, it is an ugly interruption to a peaceful walk through woodland. It's somewhere where you wait for a gap between speeding cars on the A25 before scurryiing across the road to continue on your way.

What, in fact, is Newlands Corner? Is it a 'beauty spot' in itself? No - it's just the point at which the main road happens to cross the downs. So by definition you 'get to it by road'. Unfortunately this also means is that what it is is a part of the landscape obliterated by a giant car park.

What, in fact, is Newlands Corner? Is it a 'beauty spot' in itself?

Well it was Inspiration Point for me and a few others in the early days, after the evening pubs close, to go up there with your date and watch the moon rise . . .

I expect car owners will get their way as usual, and will revert to their jaunts being subsidised by those Surrey council tax payers who can't afford to run a car.

Typical elitist sneering at the country-poor, no concept of how lives are lived outside of their bubble.

This report shows no empathy for car drivers who don't want to visit the countryside by public transport where they would have to share a vehicle with common people :(

By car I can be in the South Downs National Park in under 5 minutes, by bus would involve catching one into town, changing & hanging around for another bus back out of town, anything up to an hour to get to the park.

Guess which I choose?

By car I can be in the South Downs National Park in under 5 minutes, by bus would involve catching one into town, changing & hanging around for another bus back out of town, anything up to an hour to get to the park.

Guess which I choose?
You choose the one that is most convenient for you in the short term whilst in the longer term actively supporting and pushing measures that discourage car use and encourage public transport use, such as meaningful car parking charges within the park. Right?

I grew up on the edge of Exmoor national park. In summer the place is rank with tourists, and the cars thereof. Locals have to add at least 50% to any journey time in view of the congested roads and frequent obstructions caused by morons with caravans.

The vast majority of summer visitors come from outside Devon and so don't contribute to the upkeep of infrastructure via council tax. As such I'm all in favour of gouging the fuck out of them with car parking charges. If you live in Devon you should get a free parking permit, because you've already paid for the facility.

Also it's a marvel how many people can own, insure, service and put fuel in a car but can't afford parking. That must be a very specific income level, and yet it's a bracket where 85-90% of motorists apparently find themselves.

Back
Top Bottom