Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Any experts on parking laws around?

Update; yesterday morning I went back fr the first time since the charges came in, parked on the road and walked in. Did a full lap of the common and passed through the car park in the middle. Previously at 8am on a dry Saturday there would be at least 10 cars in there, yesterday just one mini and a burned out van. Which meant for the whole walk I didn't see another person. Which was lovely.

Witley Common where I now go for my weekday morning walk is much busier, perhaps the National Trust should bill SCC for taking on their walkers?

Growing up, our family didn’t have a car because we couldn’t afford it. Every weekend dad would take us to the countryside, often using buses.

The idea that people should be entitled to park their car on common land nature reserves for free is pretty backward.

I see Rodborough Common is a 20 minute bus journey from Godalming. I see no reason why parking should cost less than the bus fare.

^ this.

Pathetic how whinging car owners try and pull the 'what about the poor people' card when they are actively making poorer people's travel choices worse by choosing to drive, not to mention the damage they do to the countryside they are heading off to enjoy.

^ this.

Pathetic how whinging car owners try and pull the 'what about the poor people' card when they are actively making poorer people's travel choices worse by choosing to drive, not to mention the damage they do to the countryside they are heading off to enjoy.
Pathetic how people who don't have the wherewithal to own/drive a motor vehicle use their failings as a bashing stick for those who can/do.

They are bringing in a CPZ in my street ,(needs it , one of the few areas in Hackney without one) they are marking out the street at the moment and we were asked to move our cars for 2 days , there was plenty of notice, signs up on all the lampposts warning of parking fines if you didn't move your car. Just had a walk down the street , still loads of cars :facepalm: 10 have parking tickets on them :D

^ this.

Person devoid of empathy struggles to accept that some people genuinely care for others, shocker.

Last edited:
Anyway, was up there this morning before the 7am charges kick in, even so only one other vehicle around whereas there used to be quite a few. The car park now looks like this;

1E6798CD-0AB7-4FD2-A9B8-59909550FEC9.jpeg 1159EDAD-9820-45D9-A7CA-493830E24698.jpeg

Last year there was a fly tipping, (SCC has ramped up charges at the tips so the county is now a dumping ground), and a bunch of us dog walkers cleared it up and took it to the tip. Now of course there are fewer walkers and we’d be fucked if we’re going to pay to park whilst clearing up the rubbish.

So all going well so far.

Anyway, was up there this morning before the 7am charges kick in, even so only one other vehicle around whereas there used to be quite a few. The car park now looks like this;

View attachment 146900 View attachment 146901

Last year there was a fly tipping, (SCC has ramped up charges at the tips so the county is now a dumping ground), and a bunch of us dog walkers cleared it up and took it to the tip. Now of course there are fewer walkers and we’d be fucked if we’re going to pay to park whilst clearing up the rubbish.

What size, including offset etc, are the wheels on your car? They'd look nice on mine, especially in that colour.

View attachment 146900 View attachment 146901

It's time you bought a new van

Oh noes Beauty spots left virtually empty by parking charge, it's claimed

Norbury Park and other Surrey beauty spots left 'virtually empty' due to parking charges
Cllr Watson said: "Following the introduction of the parking charges, the car parks, unsurprisingly, have been virtually empty.

Instead, as we predicted, local residents who enjoy walking in the countryside, including those who exercise their dogs, are parking for free on nearby roads or in other car parks which do not have a charge.

"This makes a mockery of the county council's stated aim to increase income which could be put towards the cost of maintaining or improving the council's countryside estate.

"In addition, with it costing £45,000 to install the ticket machines in Norbury Park and with the estimated income from the Norbury Park car parks being £20,000pa, it will take over two years for the income raised to cover the cost incurred if this level of income is achieved."

Who could possibly have foreseen that?

Last edited:
Still going swimmingly... Warden 'giving literally everyone tickets' at Newlands Corner

a parking enforcement officer "giving literally everyone fines" at Newlands Corner on Saturday morning (October 13), despite the ticket machine being out of order.

The ticket machines displayed a paper notice on them informing visitors that they cannot use the machine to pay by card.

It went on to say that if visitors are unable to pay using their mobile phone, the parking enforcement officers will not issue fines "as this would be unlawful."

Audi drivers. Want everything for nothing!
The notice attached to the machine did state that you could use the ticket machine at the other end of the car park, or use your mobile phone to pay.
Would you walk out of a shop without paying if one of their card machines wasn't working?
:D
Joking aside, whoever came up with the idea, and thought the machines wouldn't be vandalised, was a bit of a tool.
Did the superglue trick work? :D

See, thing is, I can afford to. But the countryside should be open to all, not just those with money. For many people these charges mean the difference between visiting the countryside and not doing so.

Why should car drivers be able to park for free? Your car is taking space, spoiling the view and incurring a cost.

The main thing that closes most of the countryside to people is cars; makes it too dangerous to walk or cycle and one of the key reasons for that is the way that car drivers drive - i.e. with an aggressive sense of entitlement that is perfectly on display in the assumption that you should be able to park where you like, when you like, regardless of the consequences.

Just pay up.

Audi drivers. Want everything for nothing!
The notice attached to the machine did state that you could use the ticket machine at the other end of the car park, or use your mobile phone to pay.
Would you walk out of a shop without paying if one of their card machines wasn't working?
:D
Joking aside, whoever came up with the idea, and thought the machines wouldn't be vandalised, was a bit of a tool.
Did the superglue trick work? :D

It seems no machines were working at Newlands Corner.

Why would the shop even be open if they had no way of selling their wares?

And yeah, of course they were going to get bashed up

i was in a shop in Covent Garden a week or two back buying a dress. The card machine did not work for the customer in front of us and nor did it work for us. It was cash only so we walked to another branch around the corner to make the purchase. The shop stayed open despite having no working card machine.

Why should car drivers be able to park for free? Your car is taking space, spoiling the view and incurring a cost.

The main thing that closes most of the countryside to people is cars; makes it too dangerous to walk or cycle and one of the key reasons for that is the way that car drivers drive - i.e. with an aggressive sense of entitlement that is perfectly on display in the assumption that you should be able to park where you like, when you like, regardless of the consequences.

Just pay up.

Oh look, another one with zero empathy.

I can pay up, tis a drop in the fucking ocean to me. People such as my sister, a school administrator who lives 20 miles away from me who has stopped visiting Chobham Common (closest to her) and can not come for walks with me at Rodborough Common as the charges eat in to her exceptionally tight budget and she refuses to take more charity from me than what she does.

Of course, according to heartless cunts that is faux concern for the poor :rolleyes:

i was in a shop in Covent Garden a week or two back buying a dress. The card machine did not work for the customer in front of us and nor did it work for us. It was cash only so we walked to another branch around the corner to make the purchase. The shop stayed open despite having no working card machine.

These machines can't take cash.

Your move hashy.

Back
Top Bottom