Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Any experts on parking laws around?

It's Surrey remember. It's not like they are going to campaign for better public transport, because that would bring the wrong type of people into the area.

Perfect example of the ignorance of these I'm alright Jack Tory fuckers, cos of course Surrey is all millionaires and there's no people struggling. Just fucking ignorant.

Perfect example of the ignorance of these I'm alright Jack Tory fuckers, cos of course Surrey is all millionaires and there's no people struggling. Just fucking ignorant.
I know - "meh, the poorest in society have cars round our way", they say, sitting in their Audi, mowing down some elderly pedestrians as they speed off to the Heathrow first class lounge.

Blue badge holder you pay, any time, day or night]

The blue badge legislation does not exclude charging - The decision to charge, or not is left to the individual local authorities who apply it.

The only stipulation in the legislation is that if a charge is made, it cannot be more than an able bodied driver would pay for the same period.

And bank holiday charging is pretty normal in places regulated by the post-91 laws. Although it was rare in places using the older regs but there aren’t many of them left now.

Thought you might - every been to Hatchlands? Amazing stuffed full of art and keyboards! Hatchlands Park

Yes, it's a good one. Petworth House is also very nice.

We mainly use it for parking at the Devils Punchbowl and Witley Common (though there are two other car parks there that are free and the one with the pay and display isn't technically NT, so they can't enforce it, just hope people pay, which many do). And Winkworth Arboretum, which is ten minutes on a bike from us.

One thing's for sure - the I'm alright jack car owning lifestyle comes into its own when there's an infectious disease outbreak. Ready made bubbles of social isolation. Until the petrol runs out of course.

If there is a lockdown it'll be interesting to know if traffic wardens will be told to stop working. Not that I would try to take advantage of the situation of course...

If there is a lockdown it'll be interesting to know if traffic wardens will be told to stop working. Not that I would try to take advantage of the situation of course...

They'll be retrained as armed curfew enforcers. People will be joking as they get shot for stepping one step out of the house "...and to think, we used to complain about getting a £50 ticket"

There is something particularly local bbc radio phone in show / Partridge about the subject of availability and cost of town centre parking. Its definitely up there with frequency of bin collections in things that should be considered fundamental human rights.

There is something particularly local bbc radio phone in show / Partridge about the subject of availability and cost of town centre parking. Its definitely up there with frequency of bin collections in things that should be considered fundamental human rights.

People forget that traders need access to Dixons.

I just tried going back to the start of this thread and then in my head reading Bahnhof Strasse 's posts in an Alan Partridge voice.

The essence of what's being said is quite Partridge (eg the "therefore I've cancelled my membership of Surrey wildlife trust" bit) but the prose needs a bit of work.

Not for the first time, I would recommend anyone with a driving licence who can also ride a bicycle and regularly goes into towns with parking restrictions to buy themselves a 50 cc moped/ scooter. Or even a faster and motorway-legal three wheeler of any engine size, which anyone with a car driving licence can also legally ride without a bike licence or CBT.

Motorcycle parking is freely available in just about every town and city (Westminster being the only exception, and then you can still park for a whole day for just a quid). Plus no congestion charge, traffic jam proof, dirt cheap to run and much cheaper to insure. And frankly, perfectly safe if you drive defensively and sensibly.

Maybe so but also remember that its not really that long since UK planning policy changed to one of deterrence to car use and for a few decades before, most if not all policy on planning/development and facilities/amenities had worked under the assumption of plentiful cheap/free parking and high levels of vehicle use.

I had to pay 80p per ten minutes when I parked on the street near my dentist the other day. That’s £42k a year. At that kind of money it would be profitable to buy a nearby house, demolish it, and rent out the ground for parking.

I had to pay 80p per ten minutes when I parked on the street near my dentist the other day. That’s £42k a year. At that kind of money it would be profitable to buy a nearby house, demolish it, and rent out the ground for parking.
I can see a major flaw in the plan.

Back
Top Bottom