Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Another Malaysian airliner crashed in Ukraine

Doubtful. It's fairly easy to trail a commercial air liner in a fighter jet without getting clocked by the flight crew. QRA intercepts of air liners occur all the time without any of the occupants realising.
If that's the case, surely it's highly unlikely that someone on the ground would have noticed it?

Sky reporting that separatists were apparently boasting on social media about shooting down "another Ukrainian cargo plane" minutes before the Malaysian airliner was reported missing.

Why fly a commercial passenger jet over a warzone at a height that makes it a target for missiles?

it depends where it was when whoever decided to shoot it down pressed the fire button - it could have been miles and miles away - 50/100 miles from a conflict area on a map. it may not, but it may..

civil aircraft will also be having to avoid Israel/Palastine at the mo, as well as Syria and Iraq - they may well have had to be flying further north than they normally would for this route, and to save money on fuel/stopovers they may have cut it a bit closer than would have been ideal, but still thought to be safe.

could be any combination of things.

I saw one that said it was last seen at 10,000ft. It didn't say it was before being hit.

They may have confused feet and meters as 10,000 meters is about 30,000 feet. 30,000 feet been reported a couple of times.

Shit news :(

How long has that airspace been closed? You say you did it a few weeks ago pg?
Yeah, I don't know which airspaces we flew over though, but it always seems to be pretty much the same from Bangkok or KL or SGP into Europe: over the Indian subcontinent, Central Asia, then Eastern Europe.

Admittedly, that covers a fairly hefty area...

Russia has form for this, see Korean Air 007 :(

They didn't know it was a passenger jet at the time though. It was also way off course, in and out of Russian airspace, and the Russkies had been tracking a US spy plane in the area earlier. There's a lot to that incident.

Why fly a commercial passenger jet over a warzone at a height that makes it a target for missiles?

There were plenty of commercial flights routing through Afghanistan airspace after the 2001 invasion - probably down to lack of anyone collecting overflight fees. I was on flights last year which short cut over the 'back' end of Syria then routed over Iraq whilst things were kicking off. Airlines make judgement calls about these things all the time and factor in advice from various sources, recent activity, who is in charge of the airspace, etc.

They didn't know it was a passenger jet at the time though. It was also way off course, in and out of Russian airspace, and the Russkies had been tracking a US spy plane in the area earlier. There's a lot to that incident.

They did know what type of aircraft and what it was painted as though, Osipovich had fired a large number of warning shots towards it before he was ordered to shoot it down.

There were plenty of commercial flights routing through Afghanistan airspace after the 2001 invasion - probably down to lack of anyone collecting overflight fees. I was on flights last year which short cut over the 'back' end of Syria then routed over Iraq whilst things were kicking off. Airlines make judgement calls about these things all the time and factor in advice from various sources, recent activity, who is in charge of the airspace, etc.
It looks like the airspace was open. Theres a NOTAM related to closed airspace over the Crimea and Black Sea, but that doesn't cover this.

They did know what type of aircraft and what it was painted as though, Osipovich had fired a large number of warning shots towards it before he was ordered to shoot it down.

I saw an interview with him not so long ago. He said that he recognised it as a civilian type but that civilian aircraft could be used for military purposes. Furthermore that he didn't tell his controllers that it was a Boeing.

civil aircraft will also be having to avoid Israel/Palastine at the mo, as well as Syria and Iraq

Not those flying into eg Tel Aviv, and plenty of traffic from Europe to Abu Dhabi/Dubai (eg Etihad, Emirates and through traffic to SE Asia/Oz) routes north-south though Iraq squeezing between the Euphrates and Tigris, was doing so last night. There's civilian air traffic from LHR routing east over the Ukraine right now though I notice an Air India flight has just executed a dog leg to the south.

Not those flying into eg Tel Aviv, and plenty of traffic from Europe to Abu Dhabi/Dubai (eg Etihad, Emirates and through traffic to SE Asia/Oz) routes north-south though Iraq squeezing between the Euphrates and Tigris, was doing so last night. There's civilian air traffic from LHR routing east over the Ukraine right now though I notice an Air India flight has just executed a dog leg to the south.

remind me not to fly commercial again...

Sky reporting its actually a KLM flight codesharing as MA. it doesn't effect the badness of it, but if true a civil aircraft belonging to a NATO country has been shot down, very probably by either the Russian military, or weapons supplied by Russia to a proxy...

Sky reporting its actually a KLM flight codesharing as MA. it doesn't effect the badness of it, but if true a civil aircraft belonging to a NATO country has been shot down, very probably by either the Russian military, or weapons supplied by Russia to a proxy...
It's a codeshare, but the plane was definitely in Malaysian Airlines livery.

@bbckamal: Virgin says it is re-routing flights so they do not fly over Ukraine area where possible shoot down of Malaysian flight happened

Sky reporting that separatists were apparently boasting on social media about shooting down "another Ukrainian cargo plane" minutes before the Malaysian airliner was reported missing.

A friend in Ukraine has just said the same thing. Furthermore, she says blog posts making such claims have now been deleted.

KLM & Malaysia Airlines codeshare on that route, inspite of Malaysian being part of OneWorld and KLM in Sky Team.

The KLM flight to KL doesn't leave until 2050.

Back
Top Bottom