Malaysian - 2014 - Ukraine - ???

777 had a perfect safety record before 2008

Since then Hull loses have been

British Airways - Heathrow - 2008 -Ice Crystals
Egypt Air - Cairo - 2011 - Cockpit fire whilst at airport stand
Malaysian - 2014 - Who knows where - who knows what
Malaysian - 2014 - Ukraine - ???
and let's not start wondering what malaysian's record will be like in 2015

The place is a war zone so it wouldn't surprise me if it was shot down. But I would imagine planes would be avoiding the area like the plague. And especially if the airspace was closed by the Ukrainian government.

Beeb etc.. reporting that the Ukranians are saying that Russia shot down one of their fighters over eastern Ukraine this morning - Russians are denying it.

a few hours later a civil aircraft falls out of the sky in a broadly similar area. it could be a coincidence i suppose...

doesn't mean either side did it, or meant to do it, just that if both sides are jumpy...

How would anyone know for sure what's happened to it yet? They probably will in short order though.

This could be pretty grave for everyone. The choice of parties could be worse - could involve Americans - but if the Russians or Russian-backed entities shot it down I wouldn't even like to guess at what comes next. A winged Franz Ferdinand?

Isn't 30,000 feet high for a missile? Not in anyone's interest to shoot down a passenger plane surely. RIP to poor victims and their loved ones.
No, it's doable.
However if they really did shoot it down at 30,000ft then I imagine it somewhat limits the possible hardware in question.

A Ukrainian official said a Malaysian passenger plane carrying 295 people was shot down Thursday over a town in the east of the country.

Anton Gerashenko, an adviser to Ukraine’s Interior Minister, said on his Facebook page the plane was flying at an altitude of 33,000 feet when it was hit by a missile fired from a Buk launcher. A similar launcher was seen by Associated Press journalists near the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhne earlier Thursday.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-ukraine-near-russian-border/article19654868/

How would anyone know for sure what's happened to it yet? They probably will in short order though.

This could be pretty grave for everyone. The choice of parties could be worse - could involve Americans - but if the Russians or Russian-backed entities shot it down I wouldn't even like to guess at what comes next. A winged Franz Ferdinand?

What with how those things (SAM radars) operate, and how many satellites and of what type are probably watching the area round the clock already, its probably known already who fired it, and from where. In fact the only thing in the air that didnt know it was being targetted was probably the airliner itself.

Back
Top Bottom