Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And once again. Hebden Bridge....

_73419205_hebden_624.jpg

UK's second city? :D

That article's full of shit anyway - how the fuck is he defining 'urban areas'?! The County that Used to Be Avon (CUBA for short) is over a million and therefore bigger than this 'south Hampshire' place he's putting up there in the top six or whatever.

Fucking BBC :mad:

Apart from the bollocks about Hebden Bridge there is a good argument there for improving the transport infrastructure between the northern cities, particularly Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds.
I completely agree with this. The bollocks about HB is silly though.

People do tend to be very parochial, even in big cities like Manchester. Mancunians don't much think about Liverpool being an option for a night out or working, despite it being no further away than a tube ride across London - and Leeds is even more off the radar. Living somewhere like Calderdale does mean you can see the potential of an M62 corridor 'city'. The transport links are pretty bad though, improving gradually with some railway electrification, but I suspect to really make it work it would need massive investment - extra lines at bottlenecks, decent trains that aren't crappy Pacer style units long ago rejected as too shit for the south east and sent up here.

BTW, Shirl. Is that your car in your avatar?
I wish it was. I had one just like it about 20 years and I loved it. Unfortunately, it burst into flames one morning on the way to work :(
I bought another one after that but it was a red one. I've also had an orange but the yellow and black is the most attractive one I think.
When I win the lottery I'll get another, to nip to the shops in so I don't have to park the Rolls in Hebden. :D

People do tend to be very parochial, even in big cities like Manchester. Mancunians don't much think about Liverpool being an option for a night out or working, despite it being no further away than a tube ride across London - and Leeds is even more off the radar. Living somewhere like Calderdale does mean you can see the potential of an M62 corridor 'city'. The transport links are pretty bad though, improving gradually with some railway electrification, but I suspect to really make it work it would need massive investment - extra lines at bottlenecks, decent trains that aren't crappy Pacer style units long ago rejected as too shit for the south east and sent up here.
That's the crucial difference - Liverpool may be the equivalent of a tube journey across London, the transport network is a lot poorer. So it's just impractical with very careful planning. Plenty of people commute between the Northern cities but probably much less do so for leisure reasons.

They should build maglev routes across the Northern belt as not only would it be great to connect the cities in at last but it would be cool. Imagine hurtling over the Pennines on a maglev at 300mph+ on a new viaduct. :cool:

There'd have to be an interchange of course, so we'd probably have to bulldoze HB to build it. Sacrifices would have to be made Shirl. ;) :D

I wish it was. I had one just like it about 20 years and I loved it. Unfortunately, it burst into flames one morning on the way to work :(
I bought another one after that but it was a red one. I've also had an orange but the yellow and black is the most attractive one I think.
When I win the lottery I'll get another, to nip to the shops in so I don't have to park the Rolls in Hebden. :D

Fair enough. Was über-jealous for a bit.

Is Hebden Bridge around the train station still full of alcoholics and heroin addicts?

The Calder Valley did used to be pretty bad for heroin but it's either gone well underground or mostly disappeared. And the park in HB near the station does attract a few alkies, like most parks do, but less than a few years ago. Hebden is now pretty much unaffordable for anyone on a low income/benefits, I suspect most of the street drinkers / people with major mental health problems etc are now forcibly relocated down the valley to Sowerby Bridge / Halifax. The sort of people who made Hebden what it is certainly couldn't afford to move there now. Todmorden is probably closer to the original Hebden spirit, but it lacks decent pubs / venues etc.

Is Hebden Bridge around the train station still full of alcoholics and heroin addicts?
No it isn't. I've lived here since 1990 apart from 3 years in Wales and I've not come across alcoholics and heroin addicts around the station apart from those who hold down full time jobs in Leeds and Manchester :)

The Calder Valley did used to be pretty bad for heroin but it's either gone well underground or mostly disappeared. And the park in HB near the station does attract a few alkies, like most parks do, but less than a few years ago. Hebden is now pretty much unaffordable for anyone on a low income/benefits, I suspect most of the street drinkers / people with major mental health problems etc are now forcibly relocated down the valley to Sowerby Bridge / Halifax. The sort of people who made Hebden what it is certainly couldn't afford to move there now. Todmorden is probably closer to the original Hebden spirit, but it lacks decent pubs / venues etc.
Todmorden has the 3 Wise Monkeys which is owned by a friend of mine, it's brilliant and loads of people from Hebden as well as Todmorden go there. Andy Kershaw is in there most nights :) Also, the other side of Tod on the way to Cornholme is the Staff of Life which was great years ago and seems to be getting really good again now.

No it isn't. I've lived here since 1990 apart from 3 years in Wales and I've not come across alcoholics and heroin addicts around the station apart from those who hold down full time jobs in Leeds and Manchester :)

Really? Every time I came to Hebden Bridge in the past the park near the train station was always full of alcoholics and heroin addicts.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and only saw hikers with rucksacks around the station car park - none in the park either as far as I could see. It's just too twee for them these days.

Back
Top Bottom