Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Watch Thread

If you decided to come back, that choice is yours. But I can tell you it won’t be viewed as for your own safety. The safest practice is to stay exactly where you are. If you decide to return with your packages, it will be viewed as you refusing your route, which will ultimately end with you not having a job come tomorrow morning. The sirens are just a warning.

You can post on here as much as you like but sadly you are preaching to the converted; it wont stop others from using them. :(

Sometimes I wonder which dystopian novel/movie it is that we're aiming for. Brave New World, 1984, Hunger Games? I've always been a fan of John Brunner. There are times that I think we're living in Shockwave Rider, The Sheep Look Up, or some combination of the two. I keep hoping I'm just turning into that old and cranky stereotype who hates everything modern, because that would be the least harmful of the available options.

We have further proof that Jeff Bezos is really a Bond villain:

Immortality for the superrich is the last thing this planet needs. If he succeeds, it would just be one more thing people would kill and exploit others to have. Besides, there's no such thing as immortality. Eventually, you'll get smooshed by a crosstown bus or hit by an asteroid instead of getting old. In Bezo's case, we can hope that's sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the wealth of the world's wealthiest doubled during the pandemic, while the poorest saw their incomes drop:

The pandemic has made the world's wealthiest far richer but has led to more people living in poverty, according to the charity Oxfam.

Lower incomes for the world's poorest contributed to the death of 21,000 people each day, its report claims.

But the world's 10 richest men have more than doubled their collective fortunes since March 2020, Oxfam said....

"This year, what's happening is off the scale," he said. "There's been a new billionaire created almost every day during this pandemic, meanwhile 99% of the world's population are worse off because of lockdowns, lower international trade, less international tourism, and as a result of that, 160 million more people have been pushed into poverty."

"Something is deeply flawed with our economic system," he added.

According to Forbes figures cited by the charity, the world's 10 richest men are: Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bernard Arnault and family, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Larry Page, Sergey Brin, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Ballmer and Warren Buffet.

While collectively their wealth grew from $700bn to $1.5tn between March 2020 and November 2021, there is significant variation between them, with Mr Musk's fortune growing by more than 1,000%, while Mr Gates' rose by a more modest 30%.

It's frustrating to watch people getting poorer while the ultrawealthy swan around in luxury yachts. I know people that survive on very little, and life just keeps getting more difficult since what little spending power they have has been leached away in higher costs for nearly everything.

Imo, anyone who still buys from this company needs to have a serious word with themselves:

Turns out there's another Amazon warehouse unionisation vote happening right now, results due on the 18th:

eta: fuck, that article is brutal :(
I met a worker named Sam, who gave me a copy of Labor Law for the Rank and Filer to read and a pile of pro-union literature to pass out during lunch. As soon as everyone in the break room had copies of the literature, I sat down and started reading Labor Law through hurried bites of scalding food.

Sam got a concussion three days later, which could have been prevented if hard hats were provided throughout the Pick Department. It made me so angry.

Driving North from London to Berwick it's horrible and alarming to see all the enormous warehouses that are springing up all over the place.

Report from a worker at Amazon in California who was suspended and then reinstated thanks to her coworkers' solidarity:

We have further proof that Jeff Bezos is really a Bond villain:

Immortality for the superrich is the last thing this planet needs. If he succeeds, it would just be one more thing people would kill and exploit others to have. Besides, there's no such thing as immortality. Eventually, you'll get smooshed by a crosstown bus or hit by an asteroid instead of getting old. In Bezo's case, we can hope that's sooner rather than later.

Life extension is a noble cause. There's nothing wrong with it.

I don't understand your "logic" here. Are you seriously saying that anything that extends life people would kill for?

There's plenty to critisize, such as a corrupt FDA that is bought and paid for by big pharma.

Life extension is a noble cause. There's nothing wrong with it.

I don't understand your "logic" here. Are you seriously saying that anything that extends life people would kill for?

There's plenty to critisize, such as a corrupt FDA that is bought and paid for by big pharma.

Is life extension a noble cause?

Imagine if the ultra-rich, who have exploited the majority of people on the planet for generations, suddenly lived for 150 years or more. Life expectancy is dropping for most of us, while its still expanding for those with wealth and access. The zip code disparity in life expectancy is a very real thing. For example, in my city, the average life expectancy of someone in my neighborhood is in the mid-50s (54, if I remember correctly). In the wealthiest neighborhood, the average life expectancy is 92. A difference of 38 years in the space of 50 blocks.

So, the next generation will see the average person live for 50 years, while an elite lives for multiples of that. They've saved wealth for themselves, why wouldn't they save life extension for themselves?* Afterall, we're very replaceable. At its core, Bezo's quest for life extension is just another narcissistic outlet for his ego.

If Bezos is successful, it will create a whole new ruling class, that will rule for generations. Meanwhile, life will become more difficult for the majority as climate change advances. Real life increasingly looks like a dystopian novel.

* Look at how insulin and other lifesaving drugs have been distributed and exploited for profit. They've mostly been distributed, not on need, but on ability to pay. Why would I think this will be different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom