Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Watch Thread

Strike Map have a Polish Amazon truck driver/Workers' Initiative member speaking at their next book club event:

New date that doesn't clash with the Euros:

Not Amazon, but its interesting that all of their workers quit at once:

1626183789997.png

It started as a joke among overworked and stressed out employees at a Burger King restaurant in Lincoln, Nebraska.

"They wanted to put up a sign to say, you know, sorry there's really not going to be anyone here," former general manager Rachael Flores told the local ABC affiliate. "Just kind of a laugh to upper management."

"I didn't think anybody was going to notice it," she added.

On Saturday morning, one of the staff changed the front sign to read "We all quit - Sorry for the inconvenience," and the photo quickly went viral.

"I got a call from my upper management and they told me I needed to take it down," she said.

Flores told Insider she had already submitted her two weeks' notice after a grueling six-month stint as GM, but her boss told her to hand over her keys. Eight others soon joined her.

When the kitchen air conditioning broke for several weeks, Flores said she saw the thermostat reach 97 degrees. Other photos on social media - confirmed to Insider to be from the same restaurant - show temperatures of 102 degrees.

Flores also said the restaurant was understaffed with a team of 13 and that she regularly had to cover unexpected absences, including many back-to-back open-to-close shifts from 5:30 a.m. to 1 a.m., with just an hour off during the day to care for her child.

She added that her team would frequently work six- and seven-day weeks for weeks on end, and that she was once hospitalized for dehydration.

"The work experience described at this location is not in line with our brand values. Our franchisee is looking into this situation to ensure this doesn't happen in the future," a Burger King corporate spokesperson said in a statement to Insider.

The location one of several franchises owned by Meridian Restaurants in Lincoln, and Flores said that the local area managers resisted her requests to raise wages above $12.50 per hour, even for an employee who had worked for 18 years at the restaurant.

"It was just a slap in the face," she said.

I noticed that some of the days they were without air conditioning were the days that we had 106 F temps. With no air conditioning, working over a fryer would have been unbearable and unsafe. With it being 102 F in the restaurant, you aren't going to have any customers any way. They should have closed.

And $12.50 an hour after 18 years? I know someone who was a Burger King manager around here. She worked upwards of 60 hrs of week and made $22K on salary. Fuck those guys.

Last edited:
I've suspected for a while that Amazon wants to do away with the public library. It would force library patrons to buy from Amazon on their terms:

Amazon is withholding ebook and audiobook versions of works it publishes through its in-house publishing arms from US libraries, according to a new report from The Washington Post. In fact, Amazon is the only major publisher that’s doing this, the report states. It’s doing so because the company thinks the terms involved with selling digital versions of books to libraries, which in turn make them available to local residents for free through ebook lending platforms like Libby, are unfavorable.

“It’s not clear to us that current digital library lending models fairly balance the interests of authors and library patrons,” Mikyla Bruder, the global marketing chief at Amazon Publishing, told The Washington Post’s Geoffrey Fowler in an emailed statement. “We see this as an opportunity to invent a new approach to help expand readership and serve library patrons, while at the same time safeguarding author interests, including income and royalties.”

At the heart of the issue is a debate over whether libraries, which often pay far higher than retail price for physical and ebook copies of books, ultimately harm publisher sales by letting people check out copies for free. In the age of mobile apps and widespread Kindle usage, borrowing an ebook is now easier than ever — you need a library card and the Libby app, and you can then place holds and eventually check out ebooks that can be sent directly to your Kindle e-reader or app to access for a limited time.

Its true that libraries pay extraordinary prices for books and e-books. Sometimes hundreds of dollars for each title. They're turning to "purchase on demand" catalogs where they don't actually own most of the titles in the library's catalog, but when a patron checks out the book, it is purchased from the publisher and delivered in a matter of seconds.

New interesting-looking Amazon articles, not had time to read them properly yet:

Amazon to introduce "meditation booths" into their warehouses.

No they won't provide more sane workloads or let up on the micromanagement, but hey here's a box you can cry in.

Given their other policies, it would be unwise to actually use it, even for a short period. If your productivity drops for even a few minutes, the computer can send you a text message telling you you've been terminated. Funny how reality is beginning to look a lot like some of the dystopian RPGs I played in the 90s like "Paranoia".

Just another case of greenwashing. Either that or it's a retreat for managers to recover from laying the down the rules to employees.

Given their other policies, it would be unwise to actually use it, even for a short period. If your productivity drops for even a few minutes, the computer can send you a text message telling you you've been terminated. Funny how reality is beginning to look a lot like some of the dystopian RPGs I played in the 90s like "Paranoia".

1950s: AI's will free you, at least in part, from your boss.
2020s: AI's are your boss.

Another business had to shut down because every employee quit. To quote one employee: "if they can't pay us more, they should at least treat us better."

The store said it’s temporarily closed and will be back open on Monday. Early Sunday, employees put up a sign saying they all quit and they were sorry for the inconvenience.

The last two employees decided to quit on Sunday, and they were the ones to put up the orange sign. Former employees said the store manager quit four or five days ago.

Former employee Breanna Faeller said the pay is low and they are working extra-long shifts. The store used to be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., and now the hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. due to a staffing shortage.

Faeller said as soon as new employees would come in, they would leave almost immediately.

“We got employees hired, they went through the onboarding process, they’d work for us for 2 days and they’d quit. They’d be done so it was just a never-ending cycle of training people and them quitting and we wouldn’t have anybody anymore,” Faeller said.

She also said if the store decides not to raise wages, they should at least treat the employees better.

Faeller said if they don’t, this will continue to happen.

I wonder if this is an incipient worker's movement in the making. This can't just be happening in my little berg.

Another business had to shut down because every employee quit. To quote one employee: "if they can't pay us more, they should at least treat us better."

I wonder if this is an incipient worker's movement in the making. This can't just be happening in my little berg.

From what I've been reading, the services industries in the US are really having trouble finding staff across the board. I know you get entitled and demanding customers across the world, but it seems particularly bad in the US. Also many employers in the service industry treat their workers as lower than dirt. I don't blame any American worker for not wanting to get mixed up in all that any more. More power to them.

From what I've been reading, the services industries in the US are really having trouble finding staff across the board. I know you get entitled and demanding customers across the world, but it seems particularly bad in the US. Also many employers in the service industry treat their workers as lower than dirt. I don't blame any American worker for not wanting to get mixed up in all that any more. More power to them.

I worked a number of service industry jobs years ago and they were unrelentingly awful. You hear a lot about the customers being rude, and there were many of those, but the treatment by management was what caused me to get a different job. You don't really take customer rudeness personally. A manager, on the other hand, will tell you how easily you can be replaced on a daily basis and how grateful you should be to have any kind of job. Its more personal and demeaning.

I worked a number of service industry jobs years ago and they were unrelentingly awful. You hear a lot about the customers being rude, and there were many of those, but the treatment by management was what caused me to get a different job. You don't really take customer rudeness personally. A manager, on the other hand, will tell you how easily you can be replaced on a daily basis and how grateful you should be to have any kind of job. Its more personal and demeaning.
I think things have changed. There's a labor shortage now. Employees are not so easily replaced. In many stores I go into there are signs and broadcasts over the PA system...."We're hiring......" It's printed on the receipts. One major grocery store chain has job application centers near the entrances. And Amazon is Hiring......

I think things have changed. There's a labor shortage now. Employees are not so easily replaced. In many stores I go into there are signs and broadcasts over the PA system...."We're hiring......" It's printed on the receipts. One major grocery store chain has job application centers near the entrances. And Amazon is Hiring......

I don't think the jobs themselves have changed much. Otherwise they wouldn't be having so much trouble trying to fill them. Oh sure, they can bump up the pay a bit and provide signing-on bonuses, but I don't think they've gone far enough to make all the shrieking Karens and shitty bosses worth the paycheck. Especially places like Amazon, who have the capital to stubbornly refuse to improve conditions for longer than smaller businesses.

I've not seen any evidence that Amazon has let up on putting ridiculous workloads on their delivery drivers, for example.

Another interview with Chicago Amazon workers:

Yeah, it's definitely a more widespread thing, perhaps worth its own thread?

Stores without staff might slowly become a thing.

They'll have the staff. They'll keep raising wages and benefits.

No they won't. This is Amazon we're talking about. You know, a union-busting company which is using its web service business to finance its other business of selling cheap Chinese crap and trying to muscle in on ever more markets. Amazon may not be a monopoly, but they sure damn aspire to be one.

They'll have the staff. They'll keep raising wages and benefits.

Um, no. At least that's not their intention. Their intention is to go employeeless, at least as far as the technology will allow.

After nearly a full year of delays, Amazon Go is finally opening to the public in Seattle, Washington on Monday.

The online mega-retailer's first-ever grocery store is fully automated, meaning it doesn't employ cashiers, negating checkout stations, registers and long line wait times. Instead, customers swipe their Amazon app to enter the store and the company's "Just Walk Out" technology takes care of the rest. Algorithms and sensors keep track of what people take off and put back on the shelves, creating a virtual shopping cart for each person. When shoppers have everything they need, they simply leave the store and their cart-full of items is billed to their Amazon account.

They aren't alone in this. If you've been to Walmart or Target, you'll see that they're going cashierless too. Target still has cashiers, but Walmart is planning on phasing them out completely by the end of the year.

Instead of competing against other potential employees, the employees are competing against machines that neither eat nor sleep, work 24 x 7, and don't form unions.

Last edited:
I fucking hate amazon. I try not to order unless I can't see what I want elsewhere. I bought something the other day and came to pay for it and I studiously avoided the Amazon Prime button but it signed me up anyway, fuckers. I went on their chat line and they cancelled it, but wtf.

Just another case of greenwashing. Either that or it's a retreat for managers to recover from laying the down the rules to employees.

I know someone who is a warehouse shift manager. He started wearing a pedometer and regularly clocks in 10-15 mile days. Even as a manager, has neither desk or chair, just a keypad. They get managers to comply with this because they dangle a plush retirement package for anyone who is promoted above that level. Naturally, this happens rarely, if at all.

Um, no. At least that's not their intention. Their intention is to go employeeless, at least as far as the technology will allow.

They aren't alone in this. If you've been to Walmart or Target, you'll see that they're going cashierless too. Target still has cashiers, but Walmart is planning on phasing them out completely by the end of the year.

Instead of competing against other potential employees, the employees are competing against machines that neither eat nor sleep, work 24 x 7, and don't form unions.
Walmart in the UK is virtually Asda. I can't see them getting rid of staff. This is one of the reasons I don't use Asda.

Back
Top Bottom