Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Watch Thread

Oh, this is pretty well done. First of all, take a moment to scroll through Amazon's "Do It Without Dues" website, which they helpfully created to educate workers who might be led astray by the siren call of unionisation: #DoItWithoutDues
Now, here's the "Do It With Real Power" website: #DoItWithRealPower
amazon website said:
HEY BHM1 DOERS, why pay almost $500 in dues? We’ve got you covered* with high wages, health care, vision, and dental benefits, as well as a safety committee and an appeals process. There’s so much MORE you can do for your career and your family without paying dues.
*Applies to regular full-time employees.
union website said:
HEY BHM1 WORKERS, why join a union? Because Amazon has never had you covered.* Amazon’s leadership has kept you from the high wages, health care, vision, and dental benefits, as well as a safety committee and an appeals process that you deserve. There’s so much MORE you can do for your career and your family in solidarity with fellow workers.

* No caveats.
The "do it without dues" site also has a contact form for Amazon workers wanting to know more about how they can escape the evil menace of unionisation, obviously it would be very bad and irresponsible if anyone was to waste union-busters' time by filling their contact form up with any old shite.

They need shooting just for referring to workers as ‘doers’. I’ve never come across that one before. I guess it’s to distance employees from the term ‘workers’, same as with the use of ‘operative’ here.

I've told Bezos he should resign immediately.

Um.... Its not immediately, but it did surprise me.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos will step down later this year, turning over the helm to the company's top cloud executive Andy Jassy, the company announced Tuesday. Bezos will transition to executive chairman of Amazon's board. ....

The news came alongside an earnings report in which Amazon posted its first $100 billion quarter. AWS, Jassy's current division, reported 28% revenue growth for the fourth quarter. About 52% of Amazon's operating income was attributed to AWS as of October 2020.

"I'm excited to announce that this Q3 I'll transition to Executive Chair of the Amazon Board and Andy Jassy will become CEO," Bezos said in a letter to employees. "In the Exec Chair role, I intend to focus my energies and attention on new products and early initiatives. Andy is well known inside the company and has been at Amazon almost as long as I have. He will be an outstanding leader, and he has my full confidence."

Bezos said he will stay engaged in important Amazon projects but will also have more time to focus on the Bezos Earth Fund, his Blue Origin spaceship company, The Washington Post and the Amazon Day 1 Fund.

"As much as I still tap dance into the office, I'm excited about this transition," Bezos said in his internal announcement. "Millions of customers depend on us for our services, and more than a million employees depend on us for their livelihoods. Being the CEO of Amazon is a deep responsibility, and it's consuming. When you have a responsibility like that, it's hard to put attention on anything else."

Jeff Bezos to step down as Amazon CEO, Andy Jassy to take over in Q3 (msn.com)

Key moment coming up here in this long battle

A push to unionize workers at an Amazon warehouse in Alabama is running into tough opposition as the retail giant, whose profits have boomed during the coronavirus pandemic despite concerns over worker safety, has launched an aggressive anti-union drive.
If workers at the BHM1 warehouse in Bessemer, near Birmingham, succeed in their efforts they would form the first union at an Amazon warehouse in the US.

How the fuck do Amazon have any control over traffic light patterns? Who the fuck thought that giving them that was a good idea? Is this another thing where Amazon gained undue influence by dangling a huge amount of money before the eyes of a cash-strapped civic authority?

They need shooting just for referring to workers as ‘doers’. I’ve never come across that one before. I guess it’s to distance employees from the term ‘workers’, same as with the use of ‘operative’ here.
Yes. Also shoot people who refer to bosses as wealth creators.

Another short video about the campaign here, as the union recognition vote has now started:

Also, really not that important in the grand scheme of things, but I learned today that the WSWS put up an article urging Amazon workers to vote against union recognition: The unionization vote at Alabama Amazon facility
I'm aware of, and pretty sympathetic to, the ultra-left/leftcom/whatever critique of unions, but to actually encourage people to vote against having a recognised union seems like crossing a line, right? I mean, not that it's likely to be a particularly deciding factor or whatever.

Another short video about the campaign here, as the union recognition vote has now started:

Also, really not that important in the grand scheme of things, but I learned today that the WSWS put up an article urging Amazon workers to vote against union recognition: The unionization vote at Alabama Amazon facility
I'm aware of, and pretty sympathetic to, the ultra-left/leftcom/whatever critique of unions, but to actually encourage people to vote against having a recognised union seems like crossing a line, right? I mean, not that it's likely to be a particularly deciding factor or whatever.

i think it must be this you are referring to
If the RWDSU or any other union were brought into Amazon facilities, management would quickly adapt to the new arrangement and collaborate with the union leadership to keep labor costs down and productivity up. That has been the fate of Amazon workers in Germany, Spain and other European countries, where many Amazon facilities are unionized and the conditions for workers remain poor, with low wages, job insecurity and continued high rates of exploitation.

Amazon workers should reject the attempt by the unions and the Democratic Party to hijack and disrupt their struggles. The International Amazon Workers Voice calls on Bessemer workers to lead the fight to build new, independent organizations, which will truly defend the interests of Amazon workers: rank-and-file committees, democratically controlled by workers themselves and based on what workers need, not what the giant corporation says is affordable must be built.

This committee should fight for:

• An immediate 40 percent raise and fully funded health care and pension benefits

i think it must be this you are referring to
If the RWDSU or any other union were brought into Amazon facilities, management would quickly adapt to the new arrangement and collaborate with the union leadership to keep labor costs down and productivity up. That has been the fate of Amazon workers in Germany, Spain and other European countries, where many Amazon facilities are unionized and the conditions for workers remain poor, with low wages, job insecurity and continued high rates of exploitation.

Amazon workers should reject the attempt by the unions and the Democratic Party to hijack and disrupt their struggles. The International Amazon Workers Voice calls on Bessemer workers to lead the fight to build new, independent organizations, which will truly defend the interests of Amazon workers: rank-and-file committees, democratically controlled by workers themselves and based on what workers need, not what the giant corporation says is affordable must be built.

This committee should fight for:

• An immediate 40 percent raise and fully funded health care and pension benefits
Oh yeah, that one's a bit more sane and I don't really object to it, it was this older one that specifically stated "the International Amazon Workers Voice (IAWV) calls on BHM1 workers to cast a “no” vote in the upcoming certification election." I wonder if they've now realised that was a batshit thing to say and are quietly walking back on it?

A few things to drop here:
The next international day of action in solidarity Bessemer, Alabama Amazon workers and against union busting is set for Saturday, March 20. This day is also the U.N. World Day Against Racism.

Actions are being planned in cities across the world to hit the streets in solidarity with the historic struggle being led by predominately Black workers in Bessemer to win the first U.S. union at Amazon, and to say ‘No!’ to racism and union busting.

Also, fair play to Killer Mike:

Interesting:

Marco Rubio Backs Amazon Workers’ Union Push, Citing ‘Culture War Against Working-Class Values’
WSJ March 12, 2021
WASHINGTON— Sen. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) voiced his support for a union-organizing drive at an Amazon.com Inc. warehouse in Alabama, accusing the e-commerce giant of waging a culture war that hurts its workers and the economy.

In an op-ed article in USA Today on Friday, Mr. Rubio said that adversarial relations between workers and companies could harm the country’s competitiveness. But he said he would support employees “when the conflict is between working Americans and a company whose leadership has decided to wage culture war against working-class values.”
Marco Rubio?

Amazon-related, big state crackdown on the SI COBAS base union a few days after a demonstration outside an Amazon warehouse: Enough 14 -- Its time to revolt! - -Against the repression of the State – With the struggle of the men and women workers of Piacenza, Prato and SI COBAS [Italy]

There'll be a strike on the 22nd.

Back
Top Bottom