Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Which is why I was asking about how many ads you got? For instance I watched a whole one hour thirty minute episode of lexx last night and only had one advert at the top lasting 15 seconds (it didn't even throw up an ad at the end, just went into the next ep) .
I usually get a few more than that though. Tops its two ads in a row every half hour, very very short. Much less than a real TV or you tube advert.

I'm curious to know if different viewers get a different experience and if if differs if you watch on a smart TV or laptop.

On Facebook I managed to fool the algorithm into thinking I liked nothing. . . This would make ads vanish completely for about a month at a time. Could it be a difference in browser/viewing history?
I didn't watch the whole episode. I'm not invested enough in the show to wade though that many adverts. I ca only go buy what the progress bar said but the average ad break seemed to be about 30 seconds. Theres' other stuff to watch and I find the idea of Amazon Prime charging for other services it's hosting while I'm paying for Prime to be grubby.

I didn't watch the whole episode. I'm not invested enough in the show to wade though that many adverts. I ca only go buy what the progress bar said but the average ad break seemed to be about 30 seconds. Theres' other stuff to watch and I find the idea of Amazon Prime charging for other services it's hosting while I'm paying for Prime to be grubby.
Wade through how many adverts? You say the ad breaks were 30 seconds, but how often? I only got one 15 second one in an hour and a half so clearly it's nit the same for everyone everytime.

You should probably get out of the mindset of Prime. Prime is just one pay for service. All the others are something separate. 'Prime' isn't charging you for them.
ITV and BBC are both transmitted on freeview, but they are also on sky or Virgin or whatever. I don't throw my aerial out the window just because I saw adverts on channel4 after paying the licence fee.

Wade through how many adverts? You say the ad breaks were 30 seconds, but how often? I only got one 15 second one in an hour and a half so clearly it's nit the same for everyone everytime.

You should probably get out of the mindset of Prime. Prime is just one pay for service. All the others are something separate. 'Prime' isn't charging you for them.
ITV and BBC are both transmitted on freeview, but they are also on sky or Virgin or whatever. I don't throw my aerial out the window just because I saw adverts on channel4 after paying the licence fee.
I didn't subscribe for the TV. I subbed so I could get nice things shipped quickly by people working in shit conditions for shit pay

And you didn't subscribe to freevee at all. That's just free vids with ads on the Internet.

Anyway, on the subject of freevee ads I just watched 30 rock. I didn't get one single ad at the beginning (not even a 'you are watching freevee' card). Exactly half way through I got a 15 second ad for neighbours (freevee just advertising itself) and that was my lot. Not bad I'd say. I get about eight times times that just watching a ten minute you tube clip.

Last edited:
NowTV / Sky puts forced ad breaks that can’t be fast forwarded on shit loads of series as well :D

I liked all 3 picards :p

Not in a rush to see lower decks though based on the SNW crossover episode. Those characters were both really annoying :mad:
Wat chu talkin' bout willis?
That's just trolling.

Lower Decks is probably the best thing to happen to star trek since next gen. The crossover episode was loads of fun.

I only managed 3 episodes of Picard series one (jesus wept) and half an ep of series 2 (but 3 was tottaly watchable.)

I rather enjoyed the first episode of the three-part The Continental, a John Wick prequel miniseries. It’s gloss and well produced and with an interesting array of characters (never mind Mel fucking Gibson). Recommended to John Wick fans.

The Traitor (Il Traditore). It took me a while to get round to this because of the subtitles but it's worth a watch if you're into mafia schiz.

It's a dramatised biopic of Tommaso Buscetta, the Sicilian Mafia boss who eventually grassed most of the Cosa Nostra, leading to the Maxi-Trial in 1986, and the subsequent murders of judges Giovanni Falcone, and Paolo Borsolino.

It takes a bit of attention especially in the beginning, not least because half the characters have similar names. If you're into this stuff you probably know what happened so there's no surprise ending but it's the first watchable mafia movie for years so definitely worth a couple of hours.

It's on one of Amazon's gazillion additional subscription channels but it's free for 7 days so I just cancelled the subscription after I watched it.

Anyone watched Gen V?
It's from the makers of The Boys so expect a lot of blood and gore from the start.

Reactions: Chz
I started to watch Jurassic Domination. I was thinking it looked a bit low budget for a Jurassic Park franchise film.

I was right. I clicked to watch it thinking it was going to be Jurassic Dominion. It's not. But I've started so I'll finish.

It's cheesy and low budget.

I loved the Boys, so I'll check this out. But I'm wary of anything "teen".
I don't think it's particularly "teen", beyond being set in a college. Yes, the characters are meant to be late teens, but the subject matter isn't dumbed down. It even has less swearing than The Boys, though the blood is about the same if not more, and there's still a "Am I meant to be horrified, or laughing?" scene.

I don't think it's particularly "teen", beyond being set in a college. Yes, the characters are meant to be late teens, but the subject matter isn't dumbed down. It even has less swearing than The Boys, though the blood is about the same if not more, and there's still a "Am I meant to be horrified, or laughing?" scene.

Thanks, I'll check this out. Probably wait a few weeks at least as if we enjoy it, I hate having to wait for new episodes to come out.

It's good to get things on Amazon I want to watch, makes me feel slightly better that I'm not just paying for a delivery service.

Reactions: Chz
Anyone watched Gen V?
It's from the makers of The Boys so expect a lot of blood and gore from the start.
Watched Episode 1 - it's got the same attitude as The Boys, but the 'coming up next' segment did make it look like it was all going a bit "the kids solve a mystery!" And Wednesday Addams had a much better annoying blonde roommate obsessed with social media than this show has.

Watched Episode 1 - it's got the same attitude as The Boys, but the 'coming up next' segment did make it look like it was all going a bit "the kids solve a mystery!" And Wednesday Addams had a much better annoying blonde roommate obsessed with social media than this show has.
I fucking hate the recent trend to add previews of forthcoming episodes at the end of the current one. Avoid at all costs.

Anyway, really liked the first episode. They certainly haven’t dialled down the fucked-up levels that The Boys rises to, judging by the first episode :D

For fans of comedy-horror films, Totally Killer is a very watchable slasher film with a completely unexpected twist early on, which changes the dynamic of the film entirely. I cannot say anything more without ruining the surprise, but the end product is a satisfying film of the genre and worth watching of a weekend.

Last edited:
The Burial.

New courtroom drama with Jamie Fox and Tommy Lee Jones, based on a real case in the 90s between a small funeral home owner and a multi billion dollar corporate.

It's billed as a comedy but it's not really, despite some amusing moments. It has a "zany" beginning but don't get put off by that. It develops into a proper legal drama along the lines of The Pelican Brief, but with added civil rights.

Very good.

Lost Angels: Skid Row is My Home

"An uncompromising yet life-affirming look at the lives of eight remarkable individuals, people who have found a way to make a life for themselves within the community of homelessness."

Back
Top Bottom