Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I think every once in a while the writers threatened to get serious and then remembered "Oh yeah, it's a corpse and a sex doll on a giant insect that eats planets" and adjust their goals accordingly.

I agree with most of your post but please do believe me (and I reckon anyone else you might ask) when I tell you S3 of Picard is not just orders of magnitude better than the first two, but genuinely one of the all-time great ST series. Even if you didn’t bother with S2 of Picard, or did and hated it, S3 is unmissable and mostly an unrelated vehicle, plot, and most crucially set of additional characters than those in the previous ones.
S3 was great, but the first 2 seasons of Picard are the worst Star Trek of all, bu some margin.

There's always been good Trek and always will be.

Discovery Seasons 1&2 are excellent, and Picard is great fun with season 3 topping the previous seasons.
"Excellent". Really....REALLY?

The worst Trek there's ever been, except for the even worse season 1 and 2 of Picard ,in my opinion of course.

"Excellent". Really....REALLY?

The worst Trek there's ever been, except for the even worse season 1 and 2 of Picard ,in my opinion of course.
Some people just hate new stuff.

Picard was also most excellent, although the family trauma stuff in season 2 was a bit dragged out.

I loved Lexx. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is, and it's genuinely hilarious at times.
I worship His Shadow!
I think you are absolutely right. It's charm is perhaps that it's not pretending to be anything other than it is.
It is mind mindbogglingly slow at times. Every episode of season two is at least twice as long as it needs to be and series 3 is one episode stretched over the entire season. Usually it this is done by having several scenes of Stanley not being able to make his mind up about something until the last two minutes of the show.
I can't quite put my finger on what makes it entertaining (and no it's not zev/xev). I think I actually like the cheap CGI sets populated with almost no actors and N64 controlers used as guns (at a time when everyone would have known what an N64 was).
I originally watched the show from about half way through season 2 on cable and loved finding out how it all started (when I nicked the VHS tapes from HMV.)
My patience ran out towards the end of season 3 and I never watched 4 (by the time they made it the moment was gone for me).

May his merciful shadow fall upon you.

New mystery/ supernatural thriller/ sci-fi miniseries Shelter (or Harlan Coben’s Shelter to give it its full name), based on the book of the same name.

I won’t reveal the basic premise because it would kind of spoil the first episode. Suffice to say it features two timelines, and whereas many of the main leads are high school students it’s not a kids’ show (cert. 15). Tones of The Goonies, Lock & Key, and Stranger Things. Intriguing first episode :)

We watched his murder mystery in a gated community one and it was absolutely hilarious

Thought I'd give Lexx a look only to find that, despite paying for Prime, I still have to endure a fuck ton of advertising. Why am I surprised

Thought I'd give Lexx a look only to find that, despite paying for Prime, I still have to endure a fuck ton of advertising. Why am I surprised
It's on freevee not not amazon prime. It's nothing to do with prime. Think of it as watching paramount or BFI (which you pay extra for) on the amazon player.

Just out of interest how many ads do you get? I get almost none on freevee. Really sod all. When I first watch a show I get a ten second ad for freevee, then the show starts. A couple of very short ads pop up over an hour, but they tend to be about 15 seconds and only actually advertising freevee.
I'm watching Lexx right now actually, 22 minutes in and I ave not had one ad yet.

I also don't remember there being nudity in it. There really was no need.

It's on freevee not not amazon prime. It's nothing to do with prime. Think of it as watching paramount or BFI (which you pay extra for) on the amazon player.

Just out of interest how many ads do you get? I get almost none on freevee. Really sod all. When I first watch a show I get a ten second ad for freevee, then the show starts. A couple of very short ads pop up over an hour, but they tend to be about 15 seconds and only actually advertising freevee.
I'm watching Lexx right now actually, 22 minutes in and I ave not had one ad yet.

I also don't remember there being nudity in it. There really was no need.
I watched it through Prime. I don't know what freevee is nor do i have it otherwise so clearly it is connected.

There were ads right at the start of the episode and, going by the progress bar, about every 15 minutes. I can't abide watching ads, they make my flesh crawl. Seriously.

FreeVee is an Amazon-owned, ad-supported free video-on-demand channel, formerly known as IMDbTV. It's not per se Amazon Prime but it is one of the channels highlighted on Prime, just one where you don't have to pay a subscription.

I watched it through Prime. I don't know what freevee is nor do i have it otherwise so clearly it is connected.

There were ads right at the start of the episode and, going by the progress bar, about every 15 minutes. I can't abide watching ads, they make my flesh crawl. Seriously.
Think about it this way. You are not watching it on Prime, that is a pay video channel on 'prime' video player. There are other subscription channels available on prime video player and videos that are not part of any channels at all that you have to pay for on an individual basis through the platform. Freevee is not prime, it is just playable on prime video.

Adverts must be different for different people (for some reason). . . I am now over an hour into episode 2 and I have not experienced one advert break since the beginning (as previously mentioned).
I wonder if it is somehow based on viewing history stored on devices. As I don't watch anything internetty on my smart TV and don't watch freevee on anything else, maybe it hasn't selected any ads for me. . . . I have no idea how it works, but I was curious as to why I barely got any adverts. I thought it was just a daft business model.

There are surprisingly quite a few really decent films / tv shows on it.

Off the top of my head . . .hunt for the wilder people, scott pilgrim.

I’ve noticed Freevee lately and the advert breaks aren’t long, not long enough to make a cuppa or do a wee. They are fairly frequent but I think surviveable as I’d certainly watch a film on broadcast tv if it had adverts.

They seem to have a decent range of films - which is obviously subjective depending on taste but it has for me to interest than. say Netflix - so overall a thumbs up for me

They seem to have a decent range of films - which is obviously subjective depending on taste but it has for me to interest than. say Netflix - so overall a thumbs up for me
Netflix no longer seems geared towards me as a viewer. Mostly shite like that action plop with Gal Gadot that they are currently pushing. I am only holding on to it because my bother uses it.

I prefer shite like Lexx and 40 Rock. . . . maybe some old neighbours episodes.

As discussed a few pages back, Jury Duty is undoubtedly the best thing on Freevee and well worth the ad breaks. They even got a few Emmy noms for it.

Think about it this way. You are not watching it on Prime, that is a pay video channel on 'prime' video player. There are other subscription channels available on prime video player and videos that are not part of any channels at all that you have to pay for on an individual basis through the platform. Freevee is not prime, it is just playable on prime video.

Adverts must be different for different people (for some reason). . . I am now over an hour into episode 2 and I have not experienced one advert break since the beginning (as previously mentioned).
I wonder if it is somehow based on viewing history stored on devices. As I don't watch anything internetty on my smart TV and don't watch freevee on anything else, maybe it hasn't selected any ads for me. . . . I have no idea how it works, but I was curious as to why I barely got any adverts. I thought it was just a daft business model.
Sure, it's just not what I was expecting, and i don't really enjoy shows enough to watch this way. I'll just torrent it instead.

Sure, it's just not what I was expecting, and i don't really enjoy shows enough to watch this way. I'll just torrent it instead.
Which is why I was asking about how many ads you got? For instance I watched a whole one hour thirty minute episode of lexx last night and only had one advert at the top lasting 15 seconds (it didn't even throw up an ad at the end, just went into the next ep) .
I usually get a few more than that though. Tops its two ads in a row every half hour, very very short. Much less than a real TV or you tube advert.

I'm curious to know if different viewers get a different experience and if if differs if you watch on a smart TV or laptop.

On Facebook I managed to fool the algorithm into thinking I liked nothing. . . This would make ads vanish completely for about a month at a time. Could it be a difference in browser/viewing history?

Back
Top Bottom