Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

On Freevee, Jury Duty.

A fake trial with a bunch of actors, but one guy is real. He answered an ad and thinks he’s in a documentary. He seems really nice. It’s not cruel towards him, but it is full of bizarre stuff going on. A very Parks and Rec vibe about it. The guy who was the boyfriend/ boyfriend’s twin in Dead to Me is in it as a version of himself. He’s called for jury duty but wants out of it.
Just finished this tonight. Great stuff. What makes it work is how gosh-darned nice the one real person in it actually is. Plus how much effort the crew and cast have put into it. A bit of a triumph all round, really. Nice one, danny

Air. A new Ben Affleck film about how Nike, at the time a distant third best to Adidas and Converse in the basketball trainers market, got to sign Michael Jordan to promote their new basketball sneaker against all odds and overcoming various adversities.

I don’t like sports films and I thought this was going to be just that, a love-in about Michael Jordan’s career, but this isn’t it at all, or a sports film at all for that matter. Very good, solid cast, and a firm recommendation from me :)

Last edited:
On Freevee, Jury Duty.
Just finished this tonight. Great stuff.

Anyone interested in legal procedure might find The Trial worthwhile.

Similar-ish premise to Jury Duty, but this time the defendant and witnesses are actors and the lawyers and jury are the real people judging a man accused of killing his wife in an alledged domestic violence incident. And there's no humour. It's a bit contrived at the end because they show a conclusion that could equally have gone the other way, but the interest for me was how pig-shittingly thick the jury members are, and how they seem to completely misunderstand what their job is.

If you're not already opposed to the concept of trial by jury, this should do the trick.

Last edited:
Quite enjoying Three Pines. Easy to watch and moves at a good pace.
Just watched the first two episodes and we liked them rather a lot :)

For those who don’t know it, it’s a ten-ep crime mystery series set in Canada, being an adaptation of an award winning novel. Alfred Molina plays the main character, the indefatigable chief inspector Armand Gamache, a man with Poirotesque detecting qualities. Recommended.

Loads of cool free stuff on amazon now (free with ads) that I would be happy to have paid for in a prime deal.

Buckaroo Banzai
Flash Gordon (40s)
Alan Moore's Show Pieces
Hunt for the Wilder People
The Nice Guys
Johnny Suede
40 Rock
(Old school) Neighbours
Parks and Rec
La la land

Sin City
Etc.

Last edited:
Loads of cool free stuff on amazon now (free with ads) that I would be happy to have paid for in a prime deal.

Buckaroo Banzai
Flash Gordon (40s)
Alan Moore's Show Pieces
Hunt for the Wilder People
The Nice Guys
Johnny Suede
40 Rock
(Old school) Neighbours
Parks and Rec
La la land

Sin City
Etc.
Is 40 Rock a sequel to 30 Rock?

On Freevee, Jury Duty.

A fake trial with a bunch of actors, but one guy is real. He answered an ad and thinks he’s in a documentary. He seems really nice. It’s not cruel towards him, but it is full of bizarre stuff going on. A very Parks and Rec vibe about it. The guy who was the boyfriend/ boyfriend’s twin in Dead to Me is in it as a version of himself. He’s called for jury duty but wants out of it.
We watched this over the weekend. Really loved it and a nice touch at the end.

I was thinking I'd probably be a bit annoyed at first if I found out everyone j thought I'd built a rapport with wasn't real. £100,000 would make that melt though....going to watch the episodes with commentary at some point.

Some of the characters were great too.

Lucy .

Sci fi nonsense that Scarlet Johansen manages to see through . Somehow Morgan Freeman doesn't add gravitas

Based on the first episode, firm recommendation from me for new fantasy feelgood comedy I’m a Virgo.

Yeah, I enjoyed it immensely. I kept expecting the horse people from Sorry To Bother You to turn up, either as themselves or as the filling in Bing-Bang Burgers.

A pair of recommendations for fans of easy watching comedy-horror films.

Get Duked is a 2019 Scottish flick about four troublemaking teenage schoolboys who get sent on a tracking/ survival weekend exercise in the Highlands, and encounter far more challenges than they’d bargained for. Very funny in a silly way, that yet works. Well produced and featuring some well known faces.

Gatloop is an American film that can be described as Jumanji meets Escape Room. As far as straight-to-video films go, a surprisingly good, funny and well written one. Perfect Sunday fodder.

What is UHF?
Weird AL Yankoviic film from 1989. Like the adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the eighth dimension it was a flop and never really came to the UK. Don't think it was ever even shown on TV here, barely known or available on video. DVDs of them both cost loads .
Buckaroo banzai came to freevee a couple of weeks ago after previously being really rather expensive to stream. UHF wasn't even available in the UK.

I was massively disappointed in BBATED after waiting about 30 years to see it.

UHF has got some great bits. . . it deserved better.

Weird AL Yankoviic film from 1989. Like the adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the eighth dimension it was a flop and never really came to the UK. Don't think it was ever even shown on TV here, barely known or available on video. DVDs of them both cost loads .
Buckaroo banzai came to freevee a couple of weeks ago after previously being really rather expensive to stream. UHF wasn't even available in the UK.

I was massively disappointed in BBATED after waiting about 30 years to see it.

UHF has got some great bits. . . it deserved better.
Cheers. I actually thought UHF was an abbreviation for a film title consisting of three words :D

Early recommendation for Fifteen- Love. Don’t be put off if you don’t like tennis- this is not a sports drama, at least not chiefly. Pretty solid performances by the main leads so far.

Just watched Sneaky Pete. It's just three series long, so manageable. Decent story with a lot of heart. Good acting with mostly good characters... though Pete's badly-drawn villain of an ex partner in series 3 is pretty annoying. Brian Cranston is the main baddie in series 1. Cranston was also involved in the idea and production. The best bits are the interactions with the family "Pete" has cuckooed himself into.

Brand new miniseries The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart is very decent so far (first two episodes). Based on a widely acclaimed book, it’s part drama part mystery, with an outstanding Sigourney Weaver though she’s by no means the main draw of this series. Very well written and acted.

The City and the City

Reasonably decent adaptation of the China Mievelle novel. The book always reminded of the Alex Cox film Death and the Compass. And so it should as Mievelle was apparently inspired by the original short story by Jorge Luis Borges.

Anyway, the unusual set up is handled well in the way the cities are visualised and while certain elements of the writing are obviously lost, it's still engaging.

I started Dead Ringers last night. When I asked about it on here before, it seemed people weren't enjoying it. Certainly towards the end of the 1st episode, I really started getting into it... Also going to watch that cannibal film from the director of the Suspiria remake. Quite a few films to watch - not had Prime for a while, so will enjoy my free month. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom