Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I wasn’t aware at all they had made a Lethal Weapon series (2016-9, three seasons). I have just watched the first episode and it was surprisingly decent. Has anyone watched the series?
I watched a couple, found the two leads too annoying to continue with

I don’t know if one needs to pay extra for the Lionsgate+ add-on, as we watch Prime on my OH’s account and she doesn’t remember or cares to check if that’s the case. But I thoroughly recommend Party Down if you can get it, in particular fans of Parks and Recreation. Same creative team and some of the same cast, and really bloody funny.

Jury Duty has definitely grown a lot on me since the first couple of episodes, which weren’t bad themselves but I wasn’t feeling the love yet. On episode 6 now and loving it :D

I'm struggling to think if any Guy Richie did any good films. Were lock stock and snatch actually good? I think I only watched them when they came out and they seemed ok back then, but that was so long ago now. . . . pretty sure every thing else was definitely shit. Right?

Not watched either in years but i remember liking lock stock and hating snatch at the time. I don't think i've seen any other film of his since.

The Sherlock Holmes film is reasonably good fun, although it may have annoyed the purists.
Oh was that him? My wife really liked that, and she is also a fan of the books. Pretty decent as I recall, though actual details, other than it contains Robert Downey Jr, compleatly escape me.

Started the new high budget spy thriller series Citadel {the second most expensive TV series ever, apparently).

I was intrigued as Tge Guardian of all papers gave it four stars. It’s pretty much Jason Bourne meets Mission Impossible so far, but not as good or stylish as either. The first two episodes certainly require even a higher degree of suspension of disbelief than the norm for this genre. Probably 6/10- entertaining enough to merit a watch though.

Reactions: MBV
Anyone watched Dead Ringers yet?
We watched the first 20 minutes or so but weren’t getting into it. There was a lot of pretty graphic footage of actual births shown. I wasn’t overtly upset by it, but it wasn’t an incentive to carry on watching it either.

Might give it another go though, because I don’t think the whole series will contain the same level of shock value shots of births as the initial part of the first episode.

Started the new high budget spy thriller series Citadel {the second most expensive TV series ever, apparently).

I was intrigued as Tge Guardian of all papers gave it four stars. It’s pretty much Jason Bourne meets Mission Impossible so far, but not as good or stylish as either. The first two episodes certainly require even a higher degree of suspension of disbelief than the norm for this genre. Probably 6/10- entertaining enough to merit a watch though.

Just giving it a look now (10 mins in).

Strikes me as kind of James Bondish (is incredibly cheesy), but more comic book.

Silly, but fun so far.

Yeah, it’s certainly watchable as an escapist thriller vehicle.

There’s something a little Doctor Who about too. Some of the set/artwork, and the occasional flights of whimsy.

Wonder whether there’s any crossover on people involved or whether it’s just an influence.

Plus there’s a 70’s throwback Man From Uncle kind of element which is nicely encapsulated in the titles, which are pure cheddar.

There’s something a little Doctor Who about too. Some of the set/artwork, and the occasional flights of whimsy.

Wonder whether there’s any crossover on people involved or whether it’s just an influence.

Plus there’s a 70’s throwback Man From Uncle kind of element which is nicely encapsulated in the titles, which are pure cheddar.
I’ve been wondering how it could be one of the most expensive series in history when production-wise is not all that. Apparently it was largely to do with overruns and unexpected issues

I could easily tell that the scenes filmed in Valencia, as an example, were not filmed on location. Compare the whole thing with the superlatively produced Game of Thrones. Clearly Amazon is the Pablo Escobar of Hollywood; they have such an insane amount of money they’ve lost all sense of proportion.

Last edited:
I’ve been wondering how it could be one of the most expensive series in history when production-wise is not all that. Apparently it was largely to do with overruns and unexpected issues

I could easily tell that the scenes filmed in Valencia, as an example, were not filmed on location. Compare the whole thing with the superlatively produced Game of Thrones. Clearly Amazon is the Pablo Escobar of Hollywood; they have such an insane amount of money they’ve lost all sense of proportion.

Yeah, all that money certainly doesn’t show on the screen. It certainly doesn’t look cheap, but they’ve blown absolutely crazy money on it.

Still, reckon they got more bang for their buck than they did from that Rings Of Power bollocks.

Not sure why Richard Madden keeps flipping between an Irish and an American accent either (he’s Scottish).

I watched this last night pissed. Can't say it really grabbed me but i may try it again sober later.

I'd add that in addition to not needing your brain to be fully switched on, it's glorious to look at. The riot of colour they use always pleases me. And Tony Shaloub totally goes on to steal the entire show by the end.

I'd add that in addition to not needing your brain to be fully switched on, it's glorious to look at. The riot of colour they use always pleases me. And Tony Shaloub totally goes on to steal the entire show by the end.
Yeah - I also love the repartee between him and Marin Hinkle who plays his wife...

Citadel continues to be silly escapist stuff, but at the same time gripping enough. The third episode is better than the previous ones imo.

Back
Top Bottom