Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I thought Dead Ringers was great, way better than I expected. Nicely done.

I'e just finished The Horror of Dolores Roach, a macabre comedy about someone who released from prison for who it all went horribly wrong. Starts off interestingly, a couple of episodes of 'ooh, where are they going with this?' before borrowing a plot from the first musical I ever saw. At which point it gets both sillier and sillier and more and more funny. A second series will be coming, which I'll look forward to reasonably eagerly.

I thought Dead Ringers was great, way better than I expected. Nicely done.

I'e just finished The Horror of Dolores Roach, a macabre comedy about someone who released from prison for who it all went horribly wrong. Starts off interestingly, a couple of episodes of 'ooh, where are they going with this?' before borrowing a plot from the first musical I ever saw. At which point it gets both sillier and sillier and more and more funny. A second series will be coming, which I'll look forward to reasonably eagerly.
Yes, I liked Dolores Roach a lot myself. Doesn’t take itself seriously and it gets the comedy/ horror/ drama balance just right.

The City and the City

Reasonably decent adaptation of the China Mievelle novel. The book always reminded of the Alex Cox film Death and the Compass. And so it should as Mievelle was apparently inspired by the original short story by Jorge Luis Borges.

Anyway, the unusual set up is handled well in the way the cities are visualised and while certain elements of the writing are obviously lost, it's still engaging.
Saw that on the beeb and really enjoyed it. I thought it got surprisingly little acclaim and deserved more.

A week ago I noticed that the new Dune and Mad Max 4 are both free on Amazon Prime right now. I've watched Mad Max 4 twice, on my own and the with my friend in south Wales.

Brand new miniseries The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart is very decent so far (first two episodes). Based on a widely acclaimed book, it’s part drama part mystery, with an outstanding Sigourney Weaver though she’s by no means the main draw of this series. Very well written and acted.

This is great and gets better, just finished episode 4.

nagapie, do you have prime?

This is great and gets better, just finished episode 4.

nagapie, do you have prime?
I'm watching this but not sure what I think of it yet. It's not bad ,and aesthetically beautiful with interesting themes, but the characters still feel a bit flat; I'm waiting to see how they develop.

Finished Good Omens 2. Pretty patchy and the ending is a stinker. Allegedly Neil Gaiman is still involved but there's not much evidence of him spending much time on it if so.

Finished Good Omens 2. Pretty patchy and the ending is a stinker. Allegedly Neil Gaiman is still involved but there's not much evidence of him spending much time on it if so.
It's more Gaiman than the first series, to be honest. Well, except for that ending. But playing up the Angel/Demon relationship - which is the entire foundation of the second series, the plot is almost irrelevant - is totally his bag of tricks.

It's more Gaiman than the first series, to be honest. Well, except for that ending. But playing up the Angel/Demon relationship - which is the entire foundation of the second series, the plot is almost irrelevant - is totally his bag of tricks.

I heard it was difficult to get involvement from Pratchett.

Waiting to watch this, but will need to be on my own as partner hates this kind of stuff. Loved the book when I was a kid, got my copy signed by Terry Pratchett who wrote "burn this book" in the front.

If you liked watching Staged, you'll love it regardless. It's very much the Tennant/Sheen show for the most part.

All About Eve

Absolute classic from 1950 with Bette Davis. Can't believe left it until now to see it. What a great script, Davis is on fire plus there's an appearance by newcomer Marilyn Monroe. Wonderful!
I’ve not seen it but picked it up on dvd last month for 50p. One for this winter I thinks There are a few radio shows on bbc sounds discussing it which might be of interest :)

I’ve not seen it but picked it up on dvd last month for 50p. One for this winter I thinks There are a few radio shows on bbc sounds discussing it which might be of interest :)
At a guess, would say you're going to love it. It's magnificent and was an absolute treat watching it. There's something very rewarding when discovering a vintage film and you realise why it's so acclaimed.

New mystery/ supernatural thriller/ sci-fi miniseries Shelter (or Harlan Coben’s Shelter to give it its full name), based on the book of the same name.

I won’t reveal the basic premise because it would kind of spoil the first episode. Suffice to say it features two timelines, and whereas many of the main leads are high school students it’s not a kids’ show (cert. 15). Tones of The Goonies, Lock & Key, and Stranger Things. Intriguing first episode :)

Lower Decks is leaving Prime soon, it's nice and entertaining.
You’ll need either a Paramount subscription or go to the naughty corner of the internets to try to stream it for free, but if you like Lower Decks you must absolutely watch the crossover episode with Strange New Worlds if you hadn’t already :D

You’ll need either a Paramount subscription or go to the naughty corner of the internets to try to stream it for free, but if you like Lower Decks you must absolutely watch the crossover episode with Strange New Worlds if you hadn’t already :D

I loved the first season of Strange New Worlds and the second season is what I will be watching once I finish season 3 of Lower Decks (a couple of episodes to go).

I am happy there is good Trek again after the travesty of Discovery and Picard.

I loved the first season of Strange New Worlds and the second season is what I will be watching once I finish season 3 of Lower Decks (a couple of episodes to go).

I agree with most of your post but please do believe me (and I reckon anyone else you might ask) when I tell you S3 of Picard is not just orders of magnitude better than the first two, but genuinely one of the all-time great ST series. Even if you didn’t bother with S2 of Picard, or did and hated it, S3 is unmissable and mostly an unrelated vehicle, plot, and most crucially set of additional characters than those in the previous ones.

There's always been good Trek and always will be.

Discovery Seasons 1&2 are excellent, and Picard is great fun with season 3 topping the previous seasons.

Can’t believe no one recommended Daisy Jones and the Six. It’s got a ton of Emmys and I’m really late to the party.

Just a really perfectly pitched faux band biopic of a Fleetwood Mac esque band in the early 70s. Elvis’ granddaughter Riley Keogh is phenomenal.

Note that they had approved it, it's the strike and the knock-on effects of it that killed it. We're going to see a lot of that sort of thing in the next few months.

And then after it ends, there's going to be this giant glut of programming that they'll drip-feed us. It's not even like with Covid where at least some production went ahead.

Re-watching Lexx from the beginning on FreeVee (not technically Prime).
Even though it is obviously a bit shit, slow, and cheap. . . I'm finding it surprisingly entertaining. . . . Enough to post about it on the Internet.

1000022259.jpg

Back
Top Bottom