Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Picard S3 just keeps getting better. Arguably the best one yet in episode 5 this week. Big shout to ATOMIC SUPLEX and any other ST fans in two minds about whether to give this a go- just make it so.

Fair enough - added to watch list.
I assume that entirely skipping series 2 won’t lead to too much confusion.

I may even watch it now... Let it be on your head if it's more Discovery than SNW.
It’s the complete opposite of more Discovery than NG. Rather, it’s proper reverence to the original series it’s supposed to be a worthy sequel/ homage of. Whilst also showing how to do fan service and legacy characters right.

Ultimately, the main thing for me is that once it gets going after the first couple of episodes, it’s riveting and thrilling fun to watch, and imo it shits on the latter seasons of Discovery.

It’s the complete opposite of more Discovery than NG. Rather, it’s proper reverence to the original series it’s supposed to be a worthy sequel/ homage of. Whilst also showing how to do fan service and legacy characters right.

Ultimately, the main thing for me is that once it gets going after the first couple of episodes, it’s riveting and thrilling fun to watch, and imo it shits on the latter seasons of Discovery.
Still maintain season 1-2 of Disco were excellent.

Still maintain season 1-2 of Disco were excellent.
Yes, I did really loved the first, and found the second pretty enjoyable overall, FWIW. But afterwards I suddenly got fatigued of the plot line. Not even saying the latter seasons were bad per se, they just felt boringly un-Star Trek and failed to grab me.

Yes, I did really loved the first, and found the second pretty enjoyable overall, FWIW. But afterwards I suddenly got fatigued of the plot line. Not even saying the latter seasons were bad per se, they just felt boringly un-Star Trek and failed to grab me.
Aye, season 3 started off well enough and then just hit the bore factor, which was a shame as the jump gave the writers such potential. Havent seen 4 yet...

Swarm.
The new Donald Glover/Childish Bambino production is a psych-thriller-comedy about a crazy stan. Watched three episodes so far. It's no Atlanta but enjoyable enough.

The Unthinkable. A Swedish thriller disaster war movie. It's not very clear what's going on, or why, for much of the film, probably because instead of viewing a film through the usual lens of a military-type hero or a science-nerd hero or something along those lines, it's through the lens of ordinary-ish people, and some of the characters are a bit annoying and not particularly like-able, not the cliched likeable hero.

The Unthinkable. A Swedish thriller disaster war movie. It's not very clear what's going on, or why, for much of the film, probably because instead of viewing a film through the usual lens of a military-type hero or a science-nerd hero or something along those lines, it's through the lens of ordinary-ish people, and some of the characters are a bit annoying and not particularly like-able, not the cliched likeable hero.
I Googled the movie, found out it was produced by Swedish production company Crazy Pictures - they seem to like action scenes and stunts, but there's a lot of humour.

Crazy Pictures' latest movie is called UFO Sweden, and the trailer for that looks interesting too. UFO Sweden is just about to be released on Blue-ray (I don't have a player), but I can't find it streamed anywhere yet.

'A rebellious teen placed in foster care suspects her father is not dead but has been abducted. She is determined to find out the truth with help from a UFO association.'

UFO Sweden trailer one -

UFO Sweden trailer two - :D

From the trailers - I think trailer 2 is the better of the two - I'm guessing that people will like UFO Sweden if they liked movies like Paul, Evolution or The Watch.

I read that before Crazy Pictures made The Unthinkable (which was partly crowd-funded), they made a series of shorts, the translation of which is something like Poetry for Fish.

Here's the link for Poetry for Fish episode The Unemployed, which is really rather brilliant, it's genius, and hilarious. It starts out a bit like an action movie, but turns into a damning critique of employment conditions and the labour market. It's just under 10 minutes, well-worth watching.

I see. How many more to go and when are new episodes out? my free prime will probably run out before it's over.
It looks like there's 5 more episodes. I think they appear on a Friday here in the UK. IMDB reckons the final episode will be aired on 20th April but I think that probably means 21st April for us.

Oh, I am well aware of that. . . . . Sadly not even the expanse got me to pay for prime, so if I don't finish picard in a couple of weeks i might be in for quite a wait.

Big shout for Australian dark comedy post-apocalyptic miniseries Class of 07. A group of young women meet up for a school reunion when a catastrophic global event leaves them stranded on an island with little hope of being rescued. Soon all the ancient unresolved beef and resentment between them from their school years starts to resurface, with increasingly fucked up consequences.

Takes a bit to get going but it really does pay off to stick with it. It genuinely gets better and funnier with every passing episode, and by the halfway mark you’ll be hooked. Starting the last one now. Very watchable and entertaining :D

Swarm.
The new Donald Glover/Childish Bambino production is a psych-thriller-comedy about a crazy stan. Watched three episodes so far. It's no Atlanta but enjoyable enough.
I never quite got into Atlanta but somehow got sucked into Swarm, it is almost horror/black comedy-like i guess, in this same way as "You" is but a bit artier.... it is really stylish but maybe a bit empty hearted so far, but v interesting anyway.

I never quite got into Atlanta but somehow got sucked into Swarm, it is almost horror/black comedy-like i guess, in this same way as "You" is but a bit artier.... it is really stylish but maybe a bit empty hearted so far, but v interesting anyway.
I just watched the trailer and wasn't quite sure why 'comedy' was mentioned in the very short write up on prime.

I have also been watching . . .

Clerks 3 - Better than Clerks 2 but still an absolute stinker.

A Guide to Dating at the End of the World - Nice low budget flick. Not great great by any stretch of the imagination, it had squandered a lot of it's potential

Willy's Wonderland - Wasted opportunity. Even I could see several ways this could have been a far far far far better film, even it it was just a crap cult piece of crap.

Triangle Of Sadness - Most Enjoyable.

Last edited:
Big shout for Australian dark comedy post-apocalyptic miniseries Class of 07. A group of young women meet up for a school reunion when a catastrophic global event leaves them stranded on an island with little hope of being rescued. Soon all the ancient unresolved beef and resentment between them from their school years starts to resurface, with increasingly fucked up consequences.

Takes a bit to get going but it really does pay off to stick with it. It genuinely gets better and funnier with every passing episode, and by the halfway mark you’ll be hooked. Starting the last one now. Very watchable and entertaining :D

Done two episodes and like it a lot.

The kabbess just tried watching of Everything Everywhere All At Once, having become curious by its Oscar success. For about an hour, I had to stop it every five minutes to explain to her what was happening. The last stoppage, I had to pause and explain (again) that there was an “alphaverse” that one Waymond came from and “our” universe with a different Waymond. At this point, the kabbess declared that this was completely new information, I facepalmed and we gave up.

Back
Top Bottom