Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

We're going to give Perpetual Grace Ltd a crack next I think. I wonder if I'm the problem rather than the TV shows though. I just want another series of Succession if I'm honest.
Funnily enough i was thinking of starting Succession this weekend. Perpetual Grace was easily my favourite series last year , Righteous Gemstones second, Brassic third.

We crawled to the end of series one of The Americans last night, but won't be bothering pushing on. Everyone in it is too annoying, and no-one acts like humans would do, never mind as secret agents would. And the back and forth relationship crap is a total snoozefest. Shame as there was some genuinely great bits throughout, but in the end there was too much ballast.

Not sure what to try next, everything we've tried watching recently we've struggled to make it all the way through a series.

Maybe your reaction is why it didn't ever really cut through beyond cult status. I've got an interest in the time period , the espionage genre, the music and the way the show uses it, and I actually lived in Falls Church - which is where the Jennings' live - for 6 months when I was 11 in the early 90s, so maybe it was especially appealing to me alone! :confused: :D

Watched Boy. It's good, especially the dance at the end. More eagle Vs shark than hunt for the wilder people.
Then watched 'prime exclusive' Greenland. Utter utter utter shite, almost comically so. Can't believe this was ever even considered for a theatrical release. It's so STV.

Yeh, I thought it would be perfect stoned telly. It was too slow for even my slowed down brain. Let me know in a non-spoilery way whether the last 2eps are worth it :thumbs:
My prime runs out tomorrow so I am giving them a go. Did the second to last. Same shit as all the others.
Fingers crossed for the last one, but the pay off is going to have to be something utterly mind blowing. I'm guessing it won't be.

There's a movie-length film version on prime of Pikkety's book, Capital in the twenty-first century, and its brilliant. Loads of great snips of archive footage, very fun to watch.

We're going to give Perpetual Grace Ltd a crack next I think. I wonder if I'm the problem rather than the TV shows though. I just want another series of Succession if I'm honest.

I've watched two episodes of Succession. It's good but the characters are odious. I realise they're supposed to be but do they develop a bit? I'm not sure I could watch a series of them.

I've watched two episodes of Succession. It's good but the characters are odious. I realise they're supposed to be but do they develop a bit? I'm not sure I could watch a series of them.
Yeah, totally - one of the great things about the series is how you end up rooting for this or that character and then they do something awful and you're reminded of what vermin they are. Only Connor is without any redeeming features whatsoever.

Watching the Matrix with my 14 year old daughter. She knows the memes and quotes etc but has never seen it so I thought we would have a look.
I've probably watched it too many times since it came out, but what really stands out is that the impressive action scenes really are not impressive at all anymore. Trying to explain that they were really amazing to see the first time around just doesn't make it 'timeless', even if they were the first to do it.
Some great shots (mostly nicked directly from anime), but I'm finding watching it really rather boring.

Into S3 of Justified. It’s good and entertaining enough, though some episodes are not as thrilling as others.

It’s basically a PG-13 version of Banshee in its premise. Recommended to anyone who is looking for something decent to watch to fill the days of the week when there are no new episodes of their favourite episodes.

Into S3 of Justified. It’s good and entertaining enough, though some episodes are not as thrilling as others.

It’s basically a PG-13 version of Banshee in its premise. Recommended to anyone who is looking for something decent to watch to fill the days of the week when there are no new episodes of their favourite episodes.
Banshee , now that was a series worth watching

Late to the party but on my third attempt (first two were years ago) I’ve managed to get past ep 1 of Preacher. Like it a lot. Very silly indeed.
Series two takes off. I thought series one was a massive let down. This might have been because I read all the comic books when they came out and series one massively fucked all that up and made it immediately less interesting. Having said that, overall, there are things I always hated about the comics, some of which the TV show made better.

Today is my last day of prime.
I watched Awaydays.

It's like a two hour advert for Adidas and Stanley knives soundtracked by Ultravox and Joy Division.
Salright.

Also saw Parasite. Really enjoyed it up until the very end, which I thought wasn't as good as it could have been. No ideas personally for a better ending, but it just wasn't up to the quality of the rest of the film. I think I would have liked something a bit more cyclical in some way.

Today is my last day of prime.
Are there any series you might miss if/when another season comes (The Boys, if you happened to watch the first two seasons and liked them)? Not sure if Amazon allows people to pay for 1-month subscriptions, like Netflix, NowTV and Disney+ do.

When we first started watching Prime, probably about 2-3 years ago, their catalogue was truly dire, but it has to be said they’ve improved it massively over time.

Anyone think Stand By Me is too old for a nine year old? Lots of swearing, init. But I have a feeling my daughter will love it.

Are there any series you might miss if/when another season comes (The Boys, if you happened to watch the first two seasons and liked them)? Not sure if Amazon allows people to pay for 1-month subscriptions, like Netflix, NowTV and Disney+ do.

When we first started watching Prime, probably about 2-3 years ago, their catalogue was truly dire, but it has to be said they’ve improved it massively over time.

Prime does let you pay for only one month at a time. I've been quite lucky. I got a three months free, stopped then later paid for speedy delivery by prime, it didn't arrive on time so I got my prime money refunded (but not the month of prime). Stopped again, but recently got another few free months form my brother. That's what has run out. . . . except it hasn't. For some reason it's still here today.

But yeah, if another series of the Boys or the Expanse comes along, I'll just pay a months subscription. I should probably take it in turns between Prime, Netflix and Disney. I have a free three month subscription to Disney, but in under a month to has run it's course apart from new episodes of wandavision.

Currently watching Tag. Not the us comedy, the Japanese horror/weirdness film from 2015.
Looked like it was going to be an initial weird scare and then a whole film of figuring out what happened. . . . no, it did that for a bit then just went mental.

Tag_(film)_poster.jpeg

I haven't finished it yet but I am just going to go ahead and recommend it for now.
Certainly a lot more flipping weird than it's prime write up or cover image suggests.

Last edited:
Prime does let you pay for only one month at a time. I've been quite lucky. I got a three months free, stopped then later paid for speedy delivery by prime, it didn't arrive on time so I got my prime money refunded (but not the month of prime). Stopped again, but recently got another few free months form my brother. That's what has run out. . . . except it hasn't. For some reason it's still here today.
I got six months free and they still think I'm a student :D Only really paying for this is us and desperate housewives.

I got six months free and they still think I'm a student :D Only really paying for this is us and desperate housewives.
I think I might have done the prime reclaim thing twice actually. Got a prime monthly subscription just for the one day delivery. Delivery didn't come so I did the on line complaint and immediately got the £8 back (well I think the second time it was £5 and I said 'no' I want my whole prime fee back and they said "ok". Also the package was marked as 'delivered', but they agreed this mistake happened a lot, so you could just order something and then say it didn't arrive (though this may have implications for your delivery person).

Three episodes into The Americans and it’s one of those rare series that we’re both actually enjoying 👍

As I’ve posted before, the Americans is a show I have an attachment to having lived where it was set. The first episode with the Tusk music is superb, the show uses music superbly, and there’s a rich vein of music to mine from the era of the show. There’s even some of Urban’s favourite, Phil Collins in a later season

Currently watching Tag. Not the us comedy, the Japanese horror/weirdness film from 2015.
Looked like it was going to be an initial weird scare and then a whole film of figuring out what happened. . . . no, it did that for a bit then just went mental.

View attachment 254894

I haven't finished it yet but I am just going to go ahead and recommend it for now.
Certainly a lot more flipping weird than it's prime write up or cover image suggests.

As with most of these things, it's a disappointing resolution in some ways. . But maybe actually a good take home message / take down of a generally misogynistic culture, though oddly that would in some ways include this film.

If I hadn't seen stuff like this before (it's a bit old school miike takashi in many ways) I think it would have baked my noodle.

As I’ve posted before, the Americans is a show I have an attachment to having lived where it was set. The first episode with the Tusk music is superb, the show uses music superbly, and there’s a rich vein of music to mine from the era of the show. There’s even some of Urban’s favourite, Phil Collins in a later season
I quite liked most of it, but I'm finding the final season to be a drag and I'm not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom