Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Cool. Am getting close to the end of Tales From The Loop so might give it a go next.
Whereas not amazing, it is certainly getting better with every episode, as it is one multilayered story arc evolving as the series progresses. So at the second-last episode point I’m happy to revise my rating to 8/10, certainly for the latter episodes.

On Episode 5 and enjoying it. As you would expect from those two, there are regular film references/ homage of many sci-fi and horror classics. And it’s funny without trying to be laugh-out funny. All of which works well.

To Frost and Pegg fans I would suggest a 7/10 rating. Those who aren’t fans or simply don’t think much of their work are likely to give it a just about okay rating.

Malcolm McDowell is brilliant in this by the way.
I was semi-sold....and then you said Malcolm McDowell :)

The History of Time Travel

Excellent little documentary, even though it's mostly covered by scientists who weren't actually part of the project. Unsurprising I guess. Still very good though. Takes 15 minutes to get into its stride, but once it does, pay close attention!

(Yes, also put this on the DVD/Video thread, bite me)

Just found that the complete series of Lost is on Prime so I'm bingeing my way through. I watched the first few series then I think it switched to Sky, so I never got to see the end. Anyway, the right kind of escapist nonsense for these times.

Last edited:
So I have three days of Prime remaining before I cancel to avoid paying for it ✌

Apart from this “Live Life Love, edge of tomorrow” movie everyone’s raving about, anything else I should catch before it’s too late?

edit: Looks like I can’t get Edge of Tomorrow on Prime here, because HBO Nordic have the rights for Sweden. Ah well, that’ll teach me to freeload prime! 😂

So I have three days of Prime remaining before I cancel to avoid paying for it ✌

Apart from this “Live Life Love, edge of tomorrow” movie everyone’s raving about, anything else I should catch before it’s too late?

edit: Looks like I can’t get Edge of Tomorrow on Prime here, because HBO Nordic have the rights for Sweden. Ah well, that’ll teach me to freeload prime! 😂
Parasite, Sea Fever, Vast Of Night

Have you seen The Boys? If not you should binge it. You should be able to do S1 in three days.

Like everyone else, watched Live Life Love Eat Sleep Rave Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow. Surprisingly entertaining.

Cruise is great in it. I'm not sure whether it is a kind of self-awareness or a total lack of it which carries the performance.
I started watching a film called Color Out Of Space last night. It's based on a Lovecraft story. Pretty entertaining so far. Nic Cage is on form.

If it’s still available, Undone is one of the most imaginative and original series I have ever seen. Only eight episodes, and whereas ep 1 is nothing special, by the end of ep 2 you’ll be loving it.

Beats is Brian Welsh's adaptation of Kieren Hurley's 2012 one-man play and ,fuck me sideways , Brian has managed to capture the mid 90s uk rave culture in all its dribbling beauty in eye popping resolution.
Astounding attention to detail throughout .
The main characters portray class difference realistically, which is refreshing .
If you were skally in the 90s, and raved ,this will ring some serious bells.

I am just happy somebody has finally made a film better than the turgid shite currently representing rave culture in the flicks.

I think it's on Amazon now.... the torrent did say somthing along those lines.

Just finished the 1st half of the 2nd series of The Girlfriend Experience (before it moves to a new story). Did anyone else watch the 2nd series? I've been liking it a lot - see quite a bit of Lynch/Cronenberg in there and Anna Friel's performance is excellent. I believe the 2nd half has quite a different tone.

Not sure who mentioned The Magicians ages ago but I started it a couple of nights back and I'm 10 episodes in already. Fantastic stuff.
I’m about 1.5 seasons in. It’s a great story but every single character is really unlikable. So it’s odd — I’m enjoying it and disengaged from it at the same time.

Films: I liked David Tenant in Mad To Be Normal, which is a biopic about RD Laing, one of the founders of the anti-psychiatry movement (although he always rejected the term, which is an irrelevant aside). Recommended.

Not sure who mentioned The Magicians ages ago but I started it a couple of nights back and I'm 10 episodes in already. Fantastic stuff.

I really like it, but a few folk I've recommended it to have bounced off it. The later seasons are a treat.

I preferred season 1 to season 2, although s2 had its charms. I do really like it but I still stick by my apathy towards all its characters.

Just had a search for Babette's Feast on Netflix. I was sure it would be there ..but nope.
I've access to a friend's Amazon Prime account...hope it is on Amazon Prime .
Brilliant film for this time of year.

Reactions: Chz
Films: I liked David Tenant in Mad To Be Normal, which is a biopic about RD Laing, one of the founders of the anti-psychiatry movement (although he always rejected the term, which is an irrelevant aside). Recommended.
I had that on my list for ages but forgot about it, so thanks for that. Watched it the other night. I'd come across him on an Access course years ago, and found his work really interesting.

I'm Your Woman about a minor mobsters wife, who suddenly has to go on the run with her baby after her husband goes missing. Because he's always kept her in the dark about the details of his dealings, she is shuffled around safe houses by his associates, never sure who's friend or foe. It's entertaining and pretty good, going over familiar material through a different lense, even if it misses out on being great. There also is something a little off about its 70s period details, it feels art directed rather than lived in. This does however feature the best ever performance by a baby (or babies, as 3 played the one), who is on screen much of the time. Despite reservations, still worth a watch thanks to good performances and an involving plot.

Last edited:
Started watching The Pack, a competition/reality show but featuring dogs and their owners doing challenges around the world. Wholesome content that is what the world needs at the moment.

Also Prisoner's Wives, which was on the BBC about 10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom