Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

For those of you who like weird russian sci-fi, can I recommend Stalker (77 I think) and Solaris (79 iirc so no, not the one with Clooney, the original). The SD versions are only 99p and they are both brilliant.

Stalker is worth it for the sound alone and is inspired by Roadside Picnic, if you know it (but is much weirder). Solaris is based on the Stanislaw Lem novel and both book and film are amazing.

Partner signed up to watch The Handmaid's Tale and intending to cancel after free month
I found The Wire on there but can't seem to watch it for free anyone know why? Thanks

And the cancellation looks like it is going to be fun :facepalm: Amazon faces legal challenge over Prime cancellation policy
The study from the NCC said that on each of the six pages in the cancellation process, the consumer "is nudged towards keeping their Prime membership".
The pages include yellow warning triangles with an exclamation point inside and buttons containing the text "keep my benefits".
This, it said, is an example of "dark patterns" - which it defines as techniques or features of design that are meant to manipulate users.
The watchdog also spoke to 1,000 Norwegian consumers about their experiences and found that one in four recalled having difficulties unsubscribing from digital content services.

I found The Wire on there but can't seem to watch it for free anyone know why? Thanks
they have a much bigger library than many streaming services, but you have to pay for a lot of it. The Wire is streaming for free on Now TV, which you could sign up for a month for free too if you liked.

And the cancellation looks like it is going to be fun :facepalm: Amazon faces legal challenge over Prime cancellation policy
My gf somehow signed up on the .com site and it took a few months of her keeping on getting charged before we realised something was wrong as her account was showing she had no subscriptions. I had to get on live chat with them with all the details and they told me the charges related to the .com part of the business.:facepalm:

For those of you who like weird russian sci-fi, can I recommend Stalker (77 I think) and Solaris (79 iirc so no, not the one with Clooney, the original). The SD versions are only 99p and they are both brilliant.

Stalker is worth it for the sound alone and is inspired by Roadside Picnic, if you know it (but is much weirder). Solaris is based on the Stanislaw Lem novel and both book and film are amazing.
Popbitch has just pointed Soviet & Russian Movies in English out to me. Hundreds of Russian movies, old and new, with English subs.

I just noticed there are now three seasons of American Gods. Neil Gaiman's book is interesting but its only 500 pages. Has a beginning, a middle and an end. How have they stretched it out to three seasons? Is it any good as it can't track the book very closely?

I just noticed there are now three seasons of American Gods. Neil Gaiman's book is interesting but its only 500 pages. Has a beginning, a middle and an end. How have they stretched it out to three seasons? Is it any good as it can't track the book very closely?
Like with other books that have been adapted, they just run with the premise

I thought the second season was actually much better than the first. Haven’t watched the third yet.

I thought the second season was actually much better than the first. Haven’t watched the third yet.
You're going to be fairly alone in that, I think. Unless the second series suddenly got much, much better after I gave up on it.

I watched it all in the end and somehow it never takes off really. Or at least by the time it does its been three seasons. Its very watchable though, there are performances and elements that are great, Mr Nancy sticks in your mind for a long time.

People complaining about things being charged for on Amazon Prime don’t appear to understand how Amazon Prime works. It’s a front for the media offerings you can buy on Amazon. Amazon Prime Video is what is included, everything else is just available to rent or buy. If it’s causing you issues you can actually download the separate Amazon Prime Video app and that only shows the stuff that’s included with your prime membership

Been watching The Terror.

We already know the ending (everybody dies), as it's based on a real expedition, but it's a gorgeously shot spooky Victorian era story about two ships trying to find the Northwest passage. Seems to only be released in the US. You can buy it on Amazon but its costly so maybe use your own resources instead.

Three episodes in and a "bear" seems to be picking people off....

Been watching The Terror.

We already know the ending (everybody dies), as it's based on a real expedition, but it's a gorgeously shot spooky Victorian era story about two ships trying to find the Northwest passage. Seems to only be released in the US. You can buy it on Amazon but its costly so maybe use your own resources instead.

Three episodes in and a "bear" seems to be picking people off....

First series very good, second is watchable aswell.

Watched Knives Out. Which is a bit too cutesy for its own good, but it knows it. And the twists at the end were clever enough to make the whole thing pay off. I would recommend.

Back
Top Bottom