Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

The Wilds, series that crosses Girls with Lost, I'll probably write in more detail at some point but it's not bad, it's first half is better than its second and I'm not sure why US series so often end up with a 'lead' whose plot and character is just not remotely as interesting as other characters. Also I think maybe 3 of these characters actually look 17.

Worth a punt in the background.

Not sure who mentioned The Magicians ages ago but I started it a couple of nights back and I'm 10 episodes in already. Fantastic stuff.
It was a slow starter for me but I got quite addicted to the point where I've watched my favourite episode more times than I'd like to admit.

The Wilds, series that crosses Girls with Lost, I'll probably write in more detail at some point but it's not bad, it's first half is better than its second and I'm not sure why US series so often end up with a 'lead' whose plot and character is just not remotely as interesting as other characters. Also I think maybe 3 of these characters actually look 17.

Worth a punt in the background.
Three episodes in and really enjoying this so far :)

I've been watching Four More Shots Please, about 4 rich Indian women drinking a lot, wearing nice clothes and having a lot of sex with their bras still on.

Good girly nonsense.

Rare Exports is great.

Rare Exports is great.

Thanks for that, really enjoyed it :)

The Godfather of Harlem, based on the life of Bumpy Johnson and the conflicts between the black and Italian mafia's for control of New York's drug scene in the 50s and 60s is brilliant from episode 1.

Massively dramatised but still excellent. You've got Forest Whitaker, Malcolm X, Cassius Clay, and all the 5 families having it large. What's not to like?

A second season has been commissioned and I reckon if it runs for longer it'll be up there with The Sopranos.

Mr.Bishie; one for you.

Last edited:
The Godfather of Harlem, based on the life of Bumpy Johnson and the conflicts between the black and Italian mafia's for control of New York's drug scene in the 50s and 60s is brilliant from episode 1.

Massively dramatised but still excellent. You've got Forest Whitaker, Malcolm X, Cassius Clay, and all the 5 families having it large. What's not to like?

A second season has been commissioned and I reckon if it runs for longer it'll be up there with The Sopranos.

Mr.Bishie; one for you.
Saw it earlier in the year on a bent login for Epix in the States . Raved about it then and would thoroughly recommend it .

I did enjoy Bad Words — a 40 year-old guy that’s something of a twat finds a loophole to enter a national children’s spelling bee, all for his own motivations that are gradually revealed. Very funny, avoids a lot of cliches and doesn’t even try to be sweet or heartwarming in any way.

Finished The Wilds, really liked it. As you watch it the odd plot hole comes to mind, but you can certainly forgive and forget them.

I had previously seen this series being described in a way that made you think it was a coming-of-age teen drama, but it really is what Lost could have been mixed up with The Lord of the Flies, and certainly not a teen show. Recommended.

Finished The Wilds, really liked it. As you watch it the odd plot hole comes to mind, but you can certainly forgive and forget them.

I had previously seen this series being described in a way that made you think it was a coming-of-age teen drama, but it really is what Lost could have been mixed up with The Lord of the Flies, and certainly not a teen show. Recommended.

Same. I was a bit sniffy - oh this is is a YA thing - when I started, but was pretty gripped by the end and thought all the backstories were strong, looking forward to Season 2.

I watched Patrick Melrose on a plane this week and thought it was probably one of the best series I've ever seen. Highly recommended.

Surprised there haven't been more mentions of this. I've been reading the books and struggling to picture them so started watching each episode midway through each book. I'm not usually a fan of Cumberbatch but he's good in this and Hugo Weaving playing his dad makes a great job of creating a terrifying character. What a bastard.

I started the fourth book this week and just watched the fourth episode. If I have any complaint it's that it leaves me feeling quite depressed, it's such an articulate account of abuse and the long term effects.

Requires Starzplay add-on subscription, but the brand new adaptation series of Stephen King’s The Stand is now being released on a weekly basis. About to start the first episode, will report.

Back
Top Bottom