Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I tried to find quite a few on Netflix and failed, I didn't want to pay for them on Amazon.

Fair enough. That list does say which service they are on though. Then see above about paying/not paying on Amazon: it is what it is

Having watched All The President's Men again on iplayer this week, I realised I'd never seen The Parallax View, the middle of Pakula's 70s "paranoia trilogy" (along with Klute). It's free on Prime at the moment.

Highly recommend. Very loosely based on the Warren Commission and Kennedy conspiracy theories, it's bleaker than the other two films, and more prescient of our current cynical times.

Star Trek Lower Decks is now on.
My daughter seems to quite like it.
Finished the ten episodes available so far. I am pleased to report it improves and matures with every passing episode.

I mean, Star Trek and/or Rick and Morty fans should enjoy it from the off as I did- easy watching and funny without trying to be too funny- though not as funny as Rick and Morty and the first few episodes oscillated between 6/10 and 7/10 for me. But it really comes into its own in the latter episodes, and the last four are brilliant :)

Reactions: Chz
Finished the ten episodes available so far. I am pleased to report it improves and matures with every passing episode.

I mean, Star Trek and/or Rick and Morty fans should enjoy it from the off as I did- easy watching and funny without trying to be too funny- though not as funny as Rick and Morty and the first few episodes oscillated between 6/10 and 7/10 for me. But it really comes into its own in the latter episodes, and the last four are brilliant :)

I gave it a watch half way through and it's enjoyable enough, Ensign Mariner is just to much most of the time, slightly psychotic, but the rest is well done.

I gave it a watch half way through and it's enjoyable enough, Ensign Mariner is just to much most of the time, slightly psychotic, but the rest is well done.
Do check the rest. It’s not like a massive improvement or a masterpiece but the last three episodes in particular kick it up a gear.

We has solved The Racism by updating the Driving Miss Daisy story and swapping the black and white roles.
That's not really fair as it's based on a true story and the accounts of both the leads.
I did have a look at the criticism raised and most of it seems for the most part quite unfair. I do think the makers tried quite hard within the boundaries of the story.

Well I have only seen two, and to be honest I really lost interest almost immediately. My daughter will probably continue to break up the constant bobs burgers and anime streaming so I imagine I'll be watching some more.

That's not really fair as it's based on a true story and the accounts of both the leads.
I did have a look at the criticism raised and most of it seems for the most part quite unfair. I do think the makers tried quite hard within the boundaries of the story.
Shirley’s family weren’t very happy about it at all. Said it completely misrepresented their relationship

Shirley’s family weren’t very happy about it at all. Said it completely misrepresented their relationship
I read about that. However they did go by what Shirley himself actually said, and he told them not to speak to his family. He was also quoted and taped many times in the past (before research for the film) contradicting (for the most part) the families claims of inaccuracy and misrepresentation. The family backed off.

Its annoying that all this BBC stuff should be available on the BBCi player with the licence fee. It works out more than most subscriptions anyway, and a lot of it was actually on the iplayer before britbox.

Bastards.

Documentary about two self-entitled hippies who think they can just turn up somewhere and do what they like....

A chilling Neighbours from Hell mystery....I think I was supposed to empathise with the hippies. I didn't.

1611832023583.png

Documentary about two self-entitled hippies who think they can just turn up somewhere and do what they like....

A chilling Neighbours from Hell mystery....I think I was supposed to empathise with the hippies. I didn't.

View attachment 251747

I heard someone else recommend this, didn't realise that it was documentary (I am more interested now).
They also seemed to suggest the hippies were the entitled twats of the story.

Queen and Slim. Kind of a road movie. A black man and a black woman out on a date get pulled over by a copper for a minor traffic offence. The situation escalates. Absolutely fucking brilliant film, in many ways.

Is there a mainly happy-ending vibe to it? I can tolerate the odd death or account of animal hardship but I try to avoid any programmes that depict harrowing cases of animal abuse that leaves you depressed and angry.
Mainly happy yes.

Back
Top Bottom