Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Wow, yes I hadn’t realised I was praising the wrong guy. It seems that the show was written by three people, including the British writer Howard Overman, who, amongst other things, created Misfits. And that fits totally.

I suspect to many people’s minds Seth Rogen conjures images of little more than a Superbad-style laddish comedies, but he clearly is a very talented writer/ producer. He is also one of the people behind Preacher, which again is really damn good IMO.
He is not the brainchild of these things any more than I am. He just reads some comics and goes "huh huh huh, wouldn't it be great if this was in TV massive hit on a bong" and he's famous enough that people will stick his name on it. There are some good things about preacher, but most were already there, and the TV version is just what you would expect TV people to do with the material. Boys too. I like them both, but preacher didn't get it's shit together until season two, and then lost me completely. Boys was short enough to get through. . . . fun, but waaay too TV. The concept is great, but it's lost in a desperate housewives format.

Utopia was excellent; thanks for the heads up that it's on prime. I remember S02 not being as satisfying as S01 but the chat on here's made me want got go back and have another look. I watched the first couple of episodes of the BBC series Devs last night and that's got a similar sort of feel.

I thought The Boys was fantastic but didn't really rate Karl Urban in it. If you liked TB but haven't seen the Watchmen tv series yet (HBO/usual sources), you really should. The best (sort of) comic book adaptation I've seen - excellent writing/acting; multi-layered & engrossing.

Anyone started watching Upload or Dark/Web?

I'm not sure about Dark/Web yet, only watched 1 episode but could be interesting.

Upload looks like it could be good.

Anyone started watching Upload or Dark/Web?

I'm not sure about Dark/Web yet, only watched 1 episode but could be interesting.

Upload looks like it could be good.
Hadn’t heard of either but on reading your post we’ve just put on Upload. It is described as a good if slightly inferior The Good Place type series, which is fine by me. Will report after we’re a couple of episodes in.

Hadn’t heard of either but on reading your post we’ve just put on Upload. It is described as a good if slightly inferior The Good Place type series, which is fine by me. Will report after we’re a couple of episodes in.
I'm 6 episodes in and liking it so far, I've not seen The Good Place but this has some funny/dark moments with clever references to real products/companies and is easy watching.

On episode 3 and certainly finding it perfectly watchable. Wasn’t too convinced up until near the end of the first episode but then it becomes clear there might be mischief and foul play afoot and the story is not going to be one-dimensional, so I would also recommend it.

We’re nearly through the last season of The Expanse and Amazon Prime is suggesting similar sci-Fi series available.. Dark Matter sounds very interesting and has good reviews from critics and audiences alike. Has anyone seen it?

On an aside note, it’s amazing how many sci-fi series of this kind are not only made in Canada, but feature a mostly Canadian cast. In fact I thought for a moment that Killjoys and The Expanse were in the same universe, as several of the main or recurring characters are played by the very same actors.

We’re nearly through the last season of The Expanse and Amazon Prime is suggesting similar sci-Fi series available.. Dark Matter sounds very interesting and has good reviews from critics and audiences alike. Has anyone seen it?

On an aside note, it’s amazing how many sci-fi series of this kind are not only made in Canada, but feature a mostly Canadian cast. In fact I thought for a moment that Killjoys and The Expanse were in the same universe, as several of the main or recurring characters are played by the very same actors.
The first big tv series where I remember Canada standing in for the US was The X-Files. The first four seasons got shot there till David Duchovny made it clear that he'll only continue if they move the production to Hollywood. Lots of American series and films get shot in Canada to make the budget go further, it's a lot cheaper than shooting in Hollywood. Toronto often stands in for New York, Vancouver for San Francisco and frequently it's very obvious.

dark matters ok ....I started drifting out of by the third series ......Its a sort of blakes 7 , without the camp

edit ...I was a bit more enthusiastic about a year back
Dark Matter..... I'm now into series 2..... Its a blakes 7 /firefly mashup Not bad..... Not top rate. The very long story arcs have held my attention, with some nice twists and pace pickup, Worth a punt if you like scifi

Last edited:
The first big tv series where I remember Canada standing in for the US was The X-Files. The first four seasons got shot there till David Duchovny made it clear that he'll only continue if they move the production to Hollywood. Lots of American series and films get shot in Canada to make the budget go further, it's a lot cheaper than shooting in Hollywood. Toronto often stands in for New York, Vancouver for San Francisco and frequently it's very obvious.
New York being famous for its trams that they frequently can't be bothered to edit out. :D

To be fair, if you can keep away from the streetcars and do no skyline shots (or do them in post) then downtown Toronto can pass fairly well for New York these days. Used to be they had to mess it up a bit first, but NYC is a lot better place than it used to be.

I can verify that The Boys is indeed really good.
Am now enjoying Future Man, which was a little bumpy initially but after a handful of episodes really hits its stride.

I finished Futureman. Such a breath of fresh air to watch something that actually properly ends, on its own terms, after a sensible number of episodes. There’s proper three-series story in which things come nicely full circle. And it ends with the best end-credits thing I’ve ever seen, I reckon.

The three series are all nicely conceptualised too — the past, the future and chaos. Nothing more or less than it needs to be.

Well done Seth Rogan. And a nice self-insert to boot.

Wolf is the best character from beginning to end, by the way.

Good to know I won't be ending on a cliff-hanger. :)

dark matters ok ....I started drifting out of by the third series ......Its a sort of blakes 7 , without the camp

edit ...I was a bit more enthusiastic about a year back
I suspect it’s likely feeling the same way as you come the third season- that’s something that happens with a great many series IME. But with one episode left to finish S1, we’re impressed- it has turned out to be a lot better than I’d expected it to be, and frankly a lot more entertaining other sci-fi series that take themselves far more seriously.

Yes, it’s formulaic- which series other than the all-time greats aren’t nowadays?- but It delivers a far more developed character development than you’d expect to see in such run-of-the-mill sci-fi productions- and more importantly for me it’s more entertaining and even provides better thrills and cliffhangers than far more prestigious series such as The Expanse. Which to be frank it’s becoming increasingly tedious as the seasons progress.

Loudermilk
The Boys
Undone

I was somewhat disappointed with Hunters. A promising pilot, but slowly went downhill after that which is a great shame considering how good the cast were.

I echo that Loudermilk is worth a watch. (And The Boys but we’ve done that one to death).

I also echo the earlier comment that Uploaded is really very good indeed. It’s all the little observations about the social direction of travel that are dropped into the background that make it such a joy.

I've been curious about Upload since I saw the trailer. It's hard to keep up with so many shows on Netflix and Amazon at times, but that's definitely on my watchlist/

A bit behind the trend here, but Black Sails is ripping good fun isn't it?
yeah i loved it, it’s a little cheesy in places but the world building is really good, so much so that i found myself feeling i was in it at certain times, especially on good k!

I don't know how much was shot on location, but the sweat (and there's a LOT of it) looks very real :D

I don't know how much was shot on location, but the sweat (and there's a LOT of it) looks very real :D
Shot a lot of it near Cape Town on a big set, a friend drives buy sometimes and says that they had a couple of the ships there too.

Thanks to those who recommended or mentioned Loudermilk. Yet another very good series I hadn’t even heard of before today.

Back
Top Bottom