Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Utopia. A spy/action thriller British miniseries revolving around biological warfare and government conspiracy. Produced by Channel 4 a few years ago.

Another one that somehow I’d never heard of before, and found today by chance. A bit dark and gory sometimes but certainly not too much so. Certainly an entertaining, well- produced thriller so far and with a solid cast.

100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes as well. How the fuck hadn’t I even heard of it I’m not sure but solid recommendation if you haven’t seen it and like that genre.

Utopia. A spy/action thriller British miniseries revolving around biological warfare and government conspiracy. Produced by Channel 4 a few years ago.

Another one that somehow I’d never heard of before, and found today by chance. A bit dark and gory sometimes but certainly not too much so. Certainly an entertaining, well- produced thriller so far and with a solid cast.

100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes as well. How the fuck hadn’t I even heard of it I’m not sure but solid recommendation if you haven’t seen it and like that genre.

This was a big deal when it came out. The first season is great, the second one is rubbish.

Never seen it. Is it good ?
I think it's outstanding.

Dystopian, but only 3 years hence, so totally believable and definitely not sci-fi.

I've always found you to be the equivalent of the aggressive politics guys in the other forums. Clearly supremely knowledgeable but not very useful to the rank and file, like me.

You occasionally write some erudite precis that I find totally impenetrable. So I decide it's pretentious 🤪

I sometimes take the piss and pull your tail, but I read and consider everything that you post in this forum and consider you to be .... ok

I think it's outstanding.

Dystopian, but only 3 years hence, so totally believable and definitely not sci-fi.

I've always found you to be the equivalent of the aggressive politics guys in the other forums. Clearly supremely knowledgeable but not very useful to the rank and file, like me.

You occasionally write some erudite precis that I find totally impenetrable. So I decide it's pretentious 🤪

I sometimes take the piss and pull your tail, but I read and consider everything that you post in this forum and consider you to be .... ok
I‘ll sort of take that as a compliment. :D

I'm finding Picard a slog, to be honest. I do want to finish it, but it's way down the list of things I want to watch.

(Talking about Utopia)

This was a big deal when it came out. The first season is great, the second one is rubbish.
Finished S1 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have just watched the first episode of S2 and (this is not a spoiler in any way so I won’t hide it) I really enjoyed it as a prequel story giving background to the main characters of S1.

If the rest of the season is shit as you had heard I’ll be highly disappointed. As a narrative piece this was actually my favourite episode of all.

Bosch season six available as of Friday (fuck, I didn't need sleep anyway). More all over the place that previous seasons, but fuck, I enjoyed it hard by the end. Have to think if it weren't on Amazon, it'd be one of the world's most talked about shows.

We finished s1 of utopia last night and loved it. Starting on s2 tomorrow, and relieved to see some people like it..
Finished S2, let me know what you think when you do. I enjoyed it about as much as S1 overall, so I would disagree with whoever told Reno S2 is shit compared with the first one.

I suspect a problem for some might be that
the ending feels crap and unfinished, but presumably that’s partly because the series got cancelled. I would have preferred a bet and more conclusive ending myself tbh, but that sadly that’s how most TV shows are written nowadays.

Finished S2, let me know what you think when you do. I enjoyed it about as much as S1 overall, so I would disagree with whoever told Reno S2 is shit compared with the first one.

the ending feels crap and unfinished, but presumably that’s partly because the series got cancelled. I would have preferred a bet and more conclusive ending myself tbh, but that sadly that’s how most TV shows are written nowadays.
I thought that all S02 does was to take forever to get the gang back together (again!) and then it's more or less a repeat of season one. I didn't feel in moved the story on in any meaningful way apart from a bit of window dressing here and there and that it had run out of ideas. I can't get into a detailed discussion about this as it's too long ago that i saw it, but that's how I remember feeling about S02. Very much like a lot of second seasons of British TV shows.

I also can’t remember it much now but I remember feeling that it moved the story on a lot, actually. Particularly the character of the stone cold killer (who is one of my all time favourite sympathetic villains).

I also can’t remember it much now but I remember feeling that it moved the story on a lot, actually. Particularly the character of the stone cold killer (who is one of my all time favourite sympathetic villains).
I can vaguely remember his character becoming more than the remorseless killer. The only lines I recall without thinking to hard are 'where is jessica hyde?' and 'lots of lines, lots of cuts'. Massively enjoyed this when it was out, the odd colours etc.
Maybe a rewatch is on the cards

Bosch season six available as of Friday (fuck, I didn't need sleep anyway). More all over the place that previous seasons, but fuck, I enjoyed it hard by the end. Have to think if it weren't on Amazon, it'd be one of the world's most talked about shows.

I really like it too. The 'Bosch weekend' around this time each year is now a fairly regular fixture in the Striker house. :cool::thumbs:

Finished it tonight - it took a while to get going, but the last three episodes were great. Definitely not crap, but not as consistent throughout as the first series - the first few episodes felt a bit flat & lacking in tension.

I finished Futureman. Such a breath of fresh air to watch something that actually properly ends, on its own terms, after a sensible number of episodes. There’s proper three-series story in which things come nicely full circle. And it ends with the best end-credits thing I’ve ever seen, I reckon.

The three series are all nicely conceptualised too — the past, the future and chaos. Nothing more or less than it needs to be.

Well done Seth Rogan. And a nice self-insert to boot.

Wolf is the best character from beginning to end, by the way.

I finished Futureman. Such a breath of fresh air to watch something that actually properly ends, on its own terms, after a sensible number of episodes. There’s proper three-series story in which things come nicely full circle. And it ends with the best end-credits thing I’ve ever seen, I reckon.

The three series are all nicely conceptualised too — the past, the future and chaos. Nothing more or less than it needs to be.

Well done Seth Rogan. And a nice self-insert to boot.

Wolf is the best character from beginning to end, by the way.
Good to hear, my thoughts exactly.

My memory’s crap and can’t remember if you’d said if you’d seen The Boys already, but if you haven’t you will love it on the back of this. It is another Seth Rogan brainchild and has kind of similar themes, and it is just superb IMO. Also on Prime.

I suspect to many people’s minds Seth Rogen conjures images of little more than a Superbad-style laddish comedies, but he clearly is a very talented writer/ producer. He is also one of the people behind Preacher, which again is really damn good IMO.

Seth Rogen was just one of several executive producers on Futureman and The Boys, but the two series were not his brainchild. His name and support does help getting projects off the ground but it doesn't mean that the one famous name you recognise in a credit as an executive producer is the one who deserves all the praise for creating and writing a series. That should go to the people who did the work, but whose names aren't famous. He was more creatively involved in Preacher but even there he was one of several creators.

Last edited:
I appreciate it that, though at the very least it shows good judgement and vision when it comes to supporting TV series projects, and whereas it’s pure speculation I reckon he was likely to have been involved to some degree in the conceptualisation of some of those series as well.

I suspect to many people’s minds Seth Rogen conjures images of little more than a Superbad-style laddish comedies, but he clearly is a very talented writer/ producer. He is also one of the people behind Preacher, which again is really damn good IMO.

Seth Rogen has an impossibly bad hit-rate (probably second only to Will Ferril). Superbad is, however, one of the finest comedies of the last 20 years IMO.

Back
Top Bottom