Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

It isn't. Prime video is the ONLY service affected. Netflix is fine, YouTube is fine, iPlayer is fine, All4 is fine, all on the same device. Their own system just isn't working properly.

I'm an IT profesional by the way and know my network is in tiptop condition. It's definitely not a network issue.

For Elliott Smith fans - Heaven adores you - documentary now streaming on Amazon Prime - really really good and totally worth watching.

Coherence - when Amazon describes stuff as 'a mind-bending sci-fi thriller' it usually translates as 'really interesting'. And it was. Proper loved this.
Watched this last night and came here to post about the same as you. Surprisingly engaging and thought-provoking. Not a film to watch if you're pissed or half-asleep though. The methodology the characters use to try to work things out is rather complex and once or twice I struggled to keep up. But it it didn't spoil the enjoyment of the film.

Watched this last night and came here to post about the same as you. Surprisingly engaging and thought-provoking. Not a film to watch if you're pissed or half-asleep though. The methodology the characters use to try to work things out is rather complex and once or twice I struggled to keep up. But it it didn't spoil the enjoyment of the film.
Ha, we struggled too, but I like that in a film, I fucking HATE being spoonfed anything. I also don't understand the concept of 'enjoyable crap telly' because it pisses me off in seconds.

The Legend of Barney Thomson
Robert Carlysle as a Glasgow barber with a terrifying mother who gets into an argument at work which ends in a nasty accident.... A very funny and dark comedy with great performances from Emma Thompson, Ray Winston, Ashley Jenson, Tom Courtenay and basically everyone else in it.
Mrs Miggins - you have very similar tastes to mine. We watched this last night on your rec, and thought it was ace. Loads of actual laugh out loud moments, Emma Thompson was fanTAStic in it!! And Tom Courtenay :D Hahaa. Brilliant :thumbs:

Watched a film called Landlord (previously called slumlord and 13 cameras) which had a very good screen monster in the lead character. Pretty low budget and filmed 11 days, it comes with a nice punchline that I was sure must lead to something else.

It did, a sequal called I SEE YOU (or 14 cameras).

I found them entertaining serial killer horror meets yuppies in peril flicks....

Watched this last night Mrs Miggins - very funny, nicely structured, but gave us both nightmares :D
It's good isn't it! I was totally sucked in from the opening scenes. Always a good sign x

You seem to be liking my recommendations. Please watch Extra Ordinary - it's great - another low budget Irish film. It's very funny.

It's good isn't it! I was totally sucked in from the opening scenes. Always a good sign x

You seem to be liking my recommendations. Please watch Extra Ordinary - it's great - another low budget Irish film. It's very funny.
I AM very much loving your recs! I will stick this on my list right now to watch later :) Thank you!

Is it this one?

Ok, drop everything, I’ve just seen something you honestly have to watch. It’s the bleakest, funniest, saddest documentary and it’s called Strongman.

Remember The Wrestler starring Mickey Rourke? Imagine that was real but that the Mickey Rourke character has never even had the success in the first place. Also he’s not a wrestler but a guy who does “feats of strength”. But he still understands his world through a narrative of showmanship and performance, despite the reality actually being fucking bleak.

The documentary maker has just filmed him in his life— no voice over, no imposition of story. And yet the story created is rich and full.

I can’t even really explain it. Just watch it, you won’t be sorry. And if you don’t like the first fifteen minutes then you can turn it off anyway, because it’s really all the same idea.

Freehold - inventive Brit comedy 'horror'. It takes a thin plot a long way and offers a nice personal hygiene horror show from a great cast.

'Looks like a fish finger'

I’ve finished The Expanse, and nearly finished Dark Matter. I’ll start with the former. I found it increasingly boring and dragging, with only the last 10 minutes of each episode having the right pace and being interesting. The plot overall also got less appealing with each passing season. If they’re going to do a fifth season they’d better refresh it a bit.

Dark Matter on the other hand has been a massive revelation. The series never pretends to be top drawer sci-fi series like Star Trek, yet it delivers more clever twists and gripping storylines than most other series of the genre I can think of. Nearly 40 episodes in and they still manage to surprise you.

And I love the moral ambiguity from just about all characters including the decidedly good ones. No qualms about shooting a baddie in the face instead of doing the right thing and bringing them in to face justice, like the likes of Picard would do. And the death count among the main characters is far higher than you’d expect, which means you’re never quite sure if they’re all going to make it at the end of each episode.

As far as entertaining sci-fi/ thriller series go; this is excellent value indeed.

Last edited:
That's interesting, T & P - I thought I'd love the Expanse but it bored me shitless. On your say so, I'll give Dark Matter a go :)

My recommendation is Blow The Man Down. We watched it last night and it's a 5 star film for me. Absolutely fucking brilliant - the cast, the songs, the story. Loved it!

That's interesting, T & P - I thought I'd love the Expanse but it bored me shitless. On your say so, I'll give Dark Matter a go :)

My recommendation is Blow The Man Down. We watched it last night and it's a 5 star film for me. Absolutely fucking brilliant - the cast, the songs, the story. Loved it!
What's that about?

What's that about?
I hate summarising because I hate spoilers, and I know that my idea of spoilers isn't yours, so I'll just google that for you shall I? :p

I hate summarising because I hate spoilers, and I know that my idea of spoilers isn't yours, so I'll just google that for you shall I? :p

Thanks for that. It was certainly very good and original, and we enjoyed it quite a bit. And if had come across it by chance and hadn’t seen your endorsement I might have given up 15 minutes in...

I thought Upload was OK for a bit of tat. . . but if the story doesn't make another season it's so pointless. Didn't really liek the romance element either.

Watched Walkabout on BFI Player extension.Can't help thinking that I must previously have seen only edited versions because there were a number of clips that I don't ever previously recall having seen.I've never been to Australia so once again I was blown away by this film.Bloody sad as well of course.Gf slept through the whole thing.

Watched Walkabout on BFI Player extension.Can't help thinking that I must previously have seen only edited versions because there were a number of clips that I don't ever previously recall having seen.I've never been to Australia so once again I was blown away by this film.Bloody sad as well of course.Gf slept through the whole thing.
Awesome film, and great soundtrack. I do recall the last couple of times I have seen it on television that I thought something was missing from when I saw it as a kid. I thought I was just imagining it. Maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom