Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

Oooo, started watching Tales From The Loop last night. Two episodes in and totally hooked.

"Inspired by the wondrous paintings of Simon Stålenhag, Tales from the Loop explores the mind-bending adventures of the people who live above the Loop, a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe - making things previously relegated to science fiction, possible. "

The Signal. A low relatively low budget yet well made sci-fi film that turned out to be not just unpredictable and keeps you wondering wtf is going on (in a good way) throughout, but a bit of a mindfuck as well.

I was worried the highly mysterious events that take place would be left unexplained or have a shit cop out explanation a la Lost, as so many films and series tend to do now, but even though I had to look it up online afterwards to make sure I got it right, the ending was not just satisfying but a good twist, even if you might see it coming. A very decent weekend film.

We watched a horror-comedy film called I had a Bloody Good Time at House Harker. Okay, let me make a disclaimer first: this is a crowdfunded film written, produced and directed by amateurs (or semi-amateurs at best), and in a nutshell, it is, well, crap.

However, it is the good kind of crap if you take my meaning, and fairly funny at places. In fact better overall than studio-funded and produced low budget films of the genre. So if you fancy some brainless watchable entertainment and bear in mind this is an amateur effort with minimal budget, you could do a lot worse than this.

House, Japanese horror from 1977.

It defies explanation but it’s amazing, one of the trippiest films I’ve ever seen if not the trippiest. Odd cuts, weird effects, but there’s so much going on in every scene and the films filled with so much energy it kind of works.

When i started watching it i thought it was cheesy awfulness (and how do they all have such perfect teeth?) but it just gets better and better and by the end it's something quite special.
Yes, absolutely fantastic. Everything wraps up about as well as you could have hoped. A few spoiler-ish thoughts
Somehow nearly everyone in the carribean in the early 1700s has a masters in psychology and self reflection
I will never be able to watch Muppet Treasure Island the same way again
Did any alliance/friendship remain unbroken for the whole run? Pretty sure everyone has a knife or five in their back by the end.
Disappointing that the slaves/maroons only got 4 named characters.
The Japanese guy never did get a spoken line. 4 seasons and not a peep!

First few episodes of S2 of Doom Patrol are now available- but only if you have a Starzplay add-on subscription.

What I’m really craving for is the next season of The Boys. It’s the works but sadly I think we’re still in for a long wait until it comes out. S1 was fucking great.

First few episodes of S2 of Doom Patrol are now available- but only if you have a Starzplay add-on subscription.

What I’m really craving for is the next season of The Boys. It’s the works but sadly I think we’re still in for a long wait until it comes out. S1 was fucking great.
It's due in September.

The Signal. A low relatively low budget yet well made sci-fi film that turned out to be not just unpredictable and keeps you wondering wtf is going on (in a good way) throughout, but a bit of a mindfuck as well.

I was worried the highly mysterious events that take place would be left unexplained or have a shit cop out explanation a la Lost, as so many films and series tend to do now, but even though I had to look it up online afterwards to make sure I got it right, the ending was not just satisfying but a good twist, even if you might see it coming. A very decent weekend film.

I thought it was a bit of a mess tbh.

Yes, absolutely fantastic. Everything wraps up about as well as you could have hoped. A few spoiler-ish thoughts
Somehow nearly everyone in the carribean in the early 1700s has a masters in psychology and self reflection
I will never be able to watch Muppet Treasure Island the same way again
Did any alliance/friendship remain unbroken for the whole run? Pretty sure everyone has a knife or five in their back by the end.
Disappointing that the slaves/maroons only got 4 named characters.
The Japanese guy never did get a spoken line. 4 seasons and not a peep!

One of the rare things I've watched through twice. Loved it

Watched season 1 of Preacher, which is from the same writer as The Boys. Enjoyably bonkers but character development is a bit rushed/flawed. Gilgun and Negga are absolutely standouts, mind.

That's interesting, T & P - I thought I'd love the Expanse but it bored me shitless. On your say so, I'll give Dark Matter a go :)

My recommendation is Blow The Man Down. We watched it last night and it's a 5 star film for me. Absolutely fucking brilliant - the cast, the songs, the story. Loved it!
Just watched this - it's good yeah!
Loved the music in it. I do love a sea shanty.

Watched season 1 of Preacher, which is from the same writer as The Boys. Enjoyably bonkers but character development is a bit rushed/flawed. Gilgun and Negga are absolutely standouts, mind.
There’s one season (can’t remember which, could be 3) that I found significantly worse than the others, and the pace can sometimes be a bit slow, but overall mad enough to work. The last season is great, so worth sticking on

Don’t want to spoil it but let’s say there are some very bold role reversals for a few of the supposedly greatest and most evil figures in human history. Makes Family Guy feel like Songs of Praise :D

I rather enjoyed this for easy Sunday night viewing

Decided to watch it after reading your post and yes, it is pretty decent :).

Loads of supporting roles and cameos by well established actors and TV personalities as well. The director must be a popular and well liked figure in the British film scene I guess...

Decided to watch it after reading your post and yes, it is pretty decent :).

Loads of supporting roles and cameos by well established actors and TV personalities as well. The director must be a popular and well liked figure in the British film scene I guess...
Coky Giedroyc, sister of Mel off of Mel & Sue, descendent of Polish/Lithuanian nobility and married to a baronet

Yeah, recommendation here too for Future Man, I've made it to S3. Light watching tbs but funny and with many refs. to cinema and games just makes it.

We watched a horror-comedy film called I had a Bloody Good Time at House Harker. Okay, let me make a disclaimer first: this is a crowdfunded film written, produced and directed by amateurs (or semi-amateurs at best), and in a nutshell, it is, well, crap.

However, it is the good kind of crap if you take my meaning, and fairly funny at places. In fact better overall than studio-funded and produced low budget films of the genre. So if you fancy some brainless watchable entertainment and bear in mind this is an amateur effort with minimal budget, you could do a lot worse than this.

It is crap isn't it?
I managed about 25 minutes.

Trying to watch Vast of the Night but subtitles are only available in Malaysian apparently. Or am I doing something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom