Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I have found it completely unwatchable.

Literally unwatchable. Its made prime crash three times, then just buffers every five seconds before finally starting to play a little, but with no sound. I might try again around 2am

That usually spells dross, but even a stopped clock…
Almost the entire TV critic community, as well as audiences, are so far giving this 4/5 ratings at the least

IMG_5714.jpeg

FWIW, I think some of those reviews might be for the first episode rather than the entire series, but whereas anyone is entitled to their opinion, anyone approaching this with a prejudiced mind because it has got rave reviews is a fucking idiot.

The first episode is nothing less than really, really good and promising, IMO.The story, the narrative, the pace, and last but not least the cinematography. The opening scene is positively Nolanesque and makes you wish you were watching it on a cinema screen.

As always when a film or series is talked up it so much, a feeling of underwhelming might be inevitable for some latecomers. But this is nowhere near mediocre let alone bad.

It's been running ad-free for me. I think they're pushing it very hard.
I got three ad breaks. I knew they were using ads now; you have to pay a little more to avoid them in your subscription. But since it's a free trial and I've no intention of paying I can deal.

It's still not as annoying as Preston "have you got a minute? There's some settlers I need you to help, three hundred miles away, living on a basketball court, surrounded by supermutants, armed only with lollipop sticks" Garvey.

I got three ad breaks. I knew they were using ads now; you have to pay a little more to avoid them in your subscription. But since it's a free trial and I've no intention of paying I can deal.

It's still not as annoying as Preston "have you got a minute? There's some settlers I need you to help, three hundred miles away, living on a basketball court, surrounded by supermutants, armed only with lollipop sticks" Garvey.
Interesting, because I've had what looks like where an ad-break should be. The screen goes dark for a moment longer than the usual cut would take. But then it just goes right on streaming.

Interesting, because I've had what looks like where an ad-break should be. The screen goes dark for a moment longer than the usual cut would take. But then it just goes right on streaming.
That'll be for the American market, where they have 3 minutes of movie for every 15 minutes of ads.

Fallout is good fun so far. 2 episodes in and while it is not doing anything new, it looks great and I like the cast and characters at the moment. I have never played the game, and it doesn't seem to be making any difference to my enjoyment. My Son said 'it's just nodding to the games' which suits me.

I thought Michael Rapaport was industry cancelled for being a total knobhead, but he turns up in episode two, so clearly not.

Ella Purnell and Walton Goggins are the highlights.

ETA - I love all the old songs - did they have these in the game?

Last edited:
Yeah, I was disappointed to see his name on the credits. We at least don’t have to see his stupid face though, as he plays the Knight that Maximus is assigned to as a Squire.
And I’ve inferred, wrongly or rightly, that his character is going to die soon and Maximus is going to go AWOL and steal his Iron Man suit

Fallout is good fun so far. 2 episodes in and while it is not doing anything new, it looks great and I like the cast and characters at the moment. I have never played the game, and it doesn't seem to be making any difference to my enjoyment. My Son said 'it's just nodding to the games' which suits me.

I thought Michael Rapaport was industry cancelled for being a total knobhead, but he turns up in episode two, so clearly not.

Ella Purnell and Walton Goggins are the highlights.

ETA - I love all the old songs - did they have these in the game?
I binged the full series last night. It was quite enjoyable, and having played the game for more hours than I care to admit, the nods did add to the enjoyment.
Walton Goggins was very good in it. He was very good in Justified, too, which is also worth a watch.

I liked those ‘easter eggs’ for those who have played the game, esp at the beginning, mirroring the player’s introduction to the game. Like when she performs first aid on herself with a stimpak

I binged the full series last night. It was quite enjoyable, and having played the game for more hours than I care to admit, the nods did add to the enjoyment.
Walton Goggins was very good in it. He was very good in Justified, too, which is also worth a watch.
I only really know Goggins from The Shield. Is he known for playing shifty and amoral characters?

I'm about an hour into episode 1 of Fallout and I'm wondering if I'm watching the same show. Perhaps it's because I've never played the game, but I'm really struggling with it. Cheesy, superficial, overly unpleasant violence. Reminds me a lot of the (far better) Silo.

Now into the fourth episode and still thoroughly enjoying it. Just brilliant entertainment, cinematography, and leads. Walton Goggins is one of the greatest character actors of our generation, and he doesn’t disappoint here either :)

Oh, well worse than original scooby doo. Even at the time I clocked it was made up of about 95% repeated sequences.
However, any inferior animation is made up by a superior dialogue, mostly delivered by one of the most lovable cartoon characters ever. Skeletor’s insults and put downs are brilliant.

I'm about an hour into episode 1 of Fallout and I'm wondering if I'm watching the same show. Perhaps it's because I've never played the game, but I'm really struggling with it. Cheesy, superficial, overly unpleasant violence. Reminds me a lot of the (far better) Silo.
Silo was the one I couldn't get into. But may be because I'm a book wanker. Thought it failed at the atmosphere.

He's a very unsavoury character, far right, a bully and lots of sexual assault allegations against him.
Oh, I missed all that too. Probably because I didn't follow him at all as s sportsman. He was in an ad I wrote some music for, but I was completely unaware of him before that.

Greatest job I ever had. Super easy, kept on a wage (slightly re-editing the songs every day as they fucked about with the edit endlessly) and paid handsomely for the music.
I was going to make a mint because it was going to be played all across America (opening during the superbowl), but the law changed (its some sort of betting app) and the whole project was scrapped.

However, any inferior animation is made up by a superior dialogue, mostly delivered by one of the most lovable cartoon characters ever. Skeletor’s insults and put downs are brilliant.
I recently watched the Christmas episode where skeletor helps some some kids and is nice.

Silo was the one I couldn't get into. But may be because I'm a book wanker. Thought it failed at the atmosphere.
Silo was very good IMO but due to its pace not necessarily easy to get into for everyone. This is perfectly paced, and crucially for any show dealing with such subjects as a post-apocalypse world, also has a much needed dose of dark comedy that is well blended with the other themes.

2 eps into Fallout and not sure about it. The 50s influence is gorgeous and it certainly looks impressive, there's a Cursed Earth vibe to the surface with mutants and the lawless. Walton Goggins gives off a Red Skull/Jonah Hexx feel to his Ghoul character...

But don't feel any real investment with the characters. Apart from the dog...

This might not resonate (pun intended) with those who hate music and dance-themed films, but it for everyone else, Musica is a very enjoyable comedy/ pseudo musical film. Don’t be put off by some outlets describing it as a romantic comedy. Just watch the first five minutes and you’ll know what to expect. Recommended. And particularly so for fans of Stomp!

I liked those ‘easter eggs’ for those who have played the game, esp at the beginning, mirroring the player’s introduction to the game. Like when she performs first aid on herself with a stimpak
I haven’t played the game, and I have inevitably missed out on all such Easter eggs. So credit to the writers for making a show that is as satisfying for people completely unfamiliar with the game.. Finished it last night and loved it.

It has also amplified my excitement in the forthcoming TV adaptation of Bioshock, one of the few video games I have played and by far the greatest one. If the creators pull out something of a similar quality to this, I’ll be happy as Larry.

Finished Fallout. The narrative strayed a bit at times, but I still enjoyed it. I did wonder if I had swallowed something that was better to look at than ingest. Like a toffee apple.

Back
Top Bottom