Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Prime streaming video recommendations thread

I wouldn’t blame anyone if, like me, you were instantly suspicious of any series called Wolf Like Me. And became ten times more sceptical when you learned the premise is a comedy-drama dealing with loss, grief and relationships featuring Isla Fisher as a werewolf who meets a man after her husband’s death.

It sounds like it’s going to be utter shit, and it ought to be so. But somehow it is actually fairly decent. Not amazing but very watchable.

With last night's film interrupted by no less than 5 one-minute advert breaks I can feel myself being forced - with extreme reluctance - to pay put more for their fucking ad-free option.

The only reason I'm sticking with Prime is because I've got TBs worth of photos backed up there.

For those looking for decent entertainment, Dirty Girl is a perfect Sunday film. A 2010 coming-of-age comedy-drama starring Juno Temple as a rebellious and sexually (very) active teenager in a born-again Christian household in Bible Belt territory, trying to find out the identity of her father with the help of an outcast boy from her class struggling with his sexuality. Formulaic as fuck, and you can see the plot development coming a mile, but still satisfying, funny and well written

As an aside thought, I have never bothered to check Temple’s career and had assumed Fargo would have been one of her very first roles playing an American character. I was interested to see she was at it as early as 2010, and convincingly so I thought.

I'm not entirely sure I followed the plot of Red Queen, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Well. Apart from the bits that aren't meant to be enjoyable. They were compelling.

With last night's film interrupted by no less than 5 one-minute advert breaks I can feel myself being forced - with extreme reluctance - to pay put more for their fucking ad-free option.

The only reason I'm sticking with Prime is because I've got TBs worth of photos backed up there.
Yep it’s pretty jarring having ads in films. Very used to no ads.

Watched American Fiction ( free but with ads). Good story and enjoyed it for the most part but not sure about the last half hour or so.

Frances Ha - A Noah Baumback film. This reminded me a bit of a Woody Allen film in its style. It was quite short and a nice change of pace to all the rugby I had watched during the day.

Really enjoyed America Fiction too.

Loved American Fiction, though agree about the ending.
My favourite strand of the plot was just the sweetest love story between the housekeeper and family friend.
The beach house dancing scene will be a classic.
Such a great song. I believe they call this sort of thing a needle drop:

Reactions: MBV
(re Broad City) I’d never even heard of this once in my life but today it was our home page ‘carousel’ and I saw it had very solid reviews across the board, so we’ve started it and it’s pretty decent and easy watching so far
I feel like I could probably watch Broad City again. I watched series 1 of Atlanta on Disney, but that was ages ago, so in preparation for watching more I went right back to the beginning again . . . I remember loving it, but other than that I don't remember it at all.

Comrade Detective, I don't even remember the premise and can't picture it at all.. .. even after looking at the wiki link I posted.

Comrade Detective, I don't even remember the premise and can't picture it at all.. .. even after looking at the wiki link I posted.
A pisstake cop drama set in seventies Romania (?? Eastern Europe, anyway). It has someone fairly famous in it. I think. I remember starting it and quite enjoying it. But never finished it and dont remember anything that actually happened.

Reactions: Chz
A pisstake cop drama set in seventies Romania (?? Eastern Europe, anyway). It has someone fairly famous in it. I think. I remember starting it and quite enjoying it. But never finished it and dont remember anything that actually happened.
Me too, so weird, I liked it enough to post my approval but then don't remember a thing about it. . . . especially odd as it appears to be a rather unusual show.

Last edited:
(re Broad City) I’d never even heard of this once in my life but today it was our home page ‘carousel’ and I saw it had very solid reviews across the board, so we’ve started it and it’s pretty decent and easy watching so far
Broad City was hilarious. Don't think I've seen them all, but this show is the reason why I knew what pegging meant when the rumour about Wills surfaced. 😳😱🤣

Broad City was hilarious. Don't think I've seen them all, but this show is the reason why I knew what pegging meant when the rumour about Wills surfaced. 😳😱🤣
Nearly finished S2 already. Very amusing. Extremely one-tracked- the writers/ main leads sure are preoccupied with sex :D

I watched last night the brand new remake of Road House, starring Jake Gyllenhaal (who credit to him, underwent several months of intense training with UFC pros, and it shows), and a crowd-pleasing support role by UFC’s Conor McGregor in his first acting role, who pulls it off surprisingly well.

It’s not great but not a bad action film either. 6/10 for me. I don’t like boxing, let alone UFC, or excessive, vicious violence in films, but this film isn’t particularly worse than the likes of John Wick, and to my surprise I found myself impressed with the choreography of the fight scenes. Apparently a number of the extras/ minor characters as well as fight choreography advisers are former UFC pros, and it pays off.

Worth a check for fans of the subgenre.

I watched last night the brand new remake of Road House, starring Jake Gyllenhaal (who credit to him, underwent several months of intense training with UFC pros, and it shows), and a crowd-pleasing support role by UFC’s Conor McGregor in his first acting role, who pulls it off surprisingly well.

It’s not great but not a bad action film either. 6/10 for me. I don’t like boxing, let alone UFC, or excessive, vicious violence in films, but this film isn’t particularly worse than the likes of John Wick, and to my surprise I found myself impressed with the choreography of the fight scenes. Apparently a number of the extras/ minor characters as well as fight choreography advisers are former UFC pros, and it pays off.

Worth a check for fans of the subgenre.
Conor McGregor?

No thanks.

Oh… have I missed something unsavoury about his personal life? All I know is that he’s a former fighting world champion…
He's a very unsavoury character, far right, a bully and lots of sexual assault allegations against him.

ETA: I know that ideally actors and artists should be separated from their products, but it's not at all easy to do so in some cases

Back
Top Bottom