Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Airfryer - which one is best?

we'll all be laughing at them like George Foreman grills and spiralizers

I don't think I could bring myself to say the word spiralizer, let alone own one, but I had a George Foreman grill for years, and loved it. I only chucked it when the coating began to wear off, and haven't yet replaced it, because I dither a lot as to which particular model to buy, but didn't realise they were actually risible now. What is wrong with them? Asking as a simple person who finds them quite good for burgers, steaks, toasted sandwiches and the like.

I don't think I could bring myself to say the word spiralizer, let alone own one, but I had a George Foreman grill for years, and loved it. I only chucked it when the coating began to wear off, and haven't yet replaced it, because I dither a lot as to which particular model to buy, but didn't realise they were actually risible now. What is wrong with them? Asking as a simple person who finds them quite good for burgers, steaks, toasted sandwiches and the like.
I've never owned a George Foreman grill but aren't they just a brand of domestic contact grill?

Me neither :( but I think that still means you've still got two 5-inch radii which still wouldn't fit and it looks really untidy because of the gaps. :( You could turn one of the pieces upside down but I don't think that would work either.

I think we have to put this down as theoretically possible but not ideal.
I've been trying in photoshop, lol, and come to the conclusion that you'd have to cut it into 1/8ths and cook three at a time (so 3 cooking sessions) and even then I'm not 100% it'd fit!

I'm still massively hesitant to purchase food tech that makes food more appetising and calorie-dense just as I'm on the cusp of switching to winter stews ... :hmm:

As they always said at school, show your workings!
Fine.
1665601077479.png

This is a 10" circle (cut in quarters with half deleted, and then one of the quarters cut in two) in an 8" square. Won't fit if you put a circle in.

1665601175477.png

I think you could probably get this in the circle though.

edit: 2 quarters definitely wouldn't fit so not showing that as I can't go back to that in photoshop easily.

Fine.
View attachment 346908

This is a 10" circle (cut in quarters with half deleted, and then one of the quarters cut in two) in an 8" square. Won't fit if you put a circle in.

View attachment 346909

I think you could probably get this in the circle though.

edit: 2 quarters definitely wouldn't fit so not showing that as I can't go back to that in photoshop easily.
Please model the donut approach - cutting out and cooking the inner centre, then chopping up the remainders like what two sheds is planning to do.

I do wish (as others have said) that they hadn't come up with the term "air fryer" though because it is a bit misleading as to what it does.
They are small fan ovens, quick to pre-heat and quick to cook, only heating up a small volume of air and circulating it around your food to cook it quickly and efficiently with little waste.

They are cheaper and quicker to use than a normal oven

Orang Utan made it clear on another thread that he has no intention of reducing his energy consumption, so he'll not be interested in an air-fryer.

Personally, I am happy having reduced my electric use by half over the last couple of months, saving over £25pm, but whatever.

So Yorkshire puddings then? If its an oven rather than a fryer can it cope with the classic oven test.
Clearly pizza is not happening but if you can get yorkies going you could put toppings on them and close your eyes.

So Yorkshire puddings then? If its an oven rather than a fryer can it cope with the classic oven test.
Clearly pizza is not happening but if you can get yorkies going you could put toppings on them and close your eyes.

The reason they work quickly is because the fan is really quite strong, I'm not sure you wouldn't end up with batter splattered all over the inside of it - better to stick to more solid offerings I'd have thought :D

Orang Utan made it clear on another thread that he has no intention of reducing his energy consumption, so he'll not be interested in an air-fryer.
I was talking about heating though, which I've aways made an effort to use as little as possible as I am a Northerner with Scottish heritage.
I've never thought much about how much energy I used for cooking tbf - have always assumed, rightly or wrongly, that it wasn't that significant a proportion of my household energy use compared with heating, lighting and electrics

Decent article here which looks at the costs - it compares running time of 30 minutes per day, but consider that if you're pre-heating a normal oven to 200C you're probably (depending upon oven type and size) having it turned on for 15-20 minutes or thereabouts to get to that temperature - for example my old electric oven takes 20 minutes to pre-heat the smaller of the two ovens to 200C (I am sure newer ones are more efficient), but my basket air fryer takes 3 minutes to pre-heat to that temperature.

So if I am just cooking something small, I've saved a considerable amount of energy and hence cost before even starting to heat food by using the air fryer instead of the oven.

Now I'm not for a minute advocating that one could or would even want to use it for everything (perhaps as some sort of experiment, I am sure some have done that!) - you're not going to cook a family roast dinner in the thing, there are plenty of things that are still worth turning the oven on for.
However, a chicken leg with nice crispy skin and some sliced potatoes for one for a quick meal in it, or a side dish for two when you don't need the oven on for anything else - and you've saved by not getting a big oven up to the correct temperature and cut your cooking time considerably, while only heating up a small volume of air instead of the entire of your oven.

I've just done a quick tea/snack of some new potato wedges with tex-mex seasoning (with some salad and dips that were already made and in the fridge) - couple of minutes in the microwave to soften the potato bits and start them cooking (ie. a quick parboil) then coated in chilli powder, paprika, salt, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper and a small amount of oil and in the air fryer for 8 minutes (pre-heated it while I was adding the spices and coating the spuds) - came out really nice, before I had an air fryer and other current appliances I'd have likely parboiled on the hob then done them in a hot oven. They came out just the same but a lot quicker and with a lot less energy used.

Oh another thing, this may not interest everyone - but with a lot of air fryers, on their lowest heat setting (usually around 60-70C or thereabouts) you can use it as a mini-dehydrator for preserving fruit, mushrooms etc.
Downsides - the fan can be a bit noisy for use over a longer period of time, and you can only do small amounts at a time as they don't have the stacking basket capacity of dedicated dehydrators (although with a metal rack in the basket you could get 2 or 3 layers with enough airflow around the layers), but if you're just doing a few bits and pieces at a time it works.

Last edited:
Well, yes, but positioned so that the excess fat runs off. Which suits me, as I don't like fat all that much, and there's no point in naughty indulgences that you don't enjoy. But I hadn't realised they were terminally unfashionable now.
I love our Foreman grill too :oops: Just a small one but used all the time. I didn't know they were unfashionable now either. Toasties!

I'd definitely stick those frozen Aunt Bessies yorkshires in there :cool:

It's not a thing to boast about, but I manage fish fingers in the air fryer no probs.

Don't bother with the tray or basket thing. Get some foil, a bit bigger than the bottom surface of the AF. It needs to be a bit bigger so you can cover the bottom plus create some hills and valleys of foil to allow air circulation.

Then do your fish fingers as normal, and they will be intact.

For pity's sake, do not allow the foil to go in the air fryer without the FFs on top or else the fan will suck the foil up to the top of the machine. Always have the foil weighed down.
Thanks! In fact I already found a successful solution with one of these perforated silicone airfryer basket liners, which gets me a crispy finish without the breadcrumbs sticking and falling off. It helps a lot that it’s perforated because before that I tried the non-perforated type baking paper liners which are disposable, but which seemed to extend the cooking time significantly by blocking the air circulation around the food.

E34C6654-B8F1-442D-B1C0-04E994CACA11.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom