Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Airfryer - which one is best?

Have just ordered the Ninja Foodi Max 15 in 1 for a whopping £270!

It’s a friends 50th soon & we do a group gift on big b’days. They were out of stock last week bar Amazon for silly money.

Has anyone used an air fryer for mince pies yet? Pre-heating a big old oven to just heat up a couple of mince pies for like 7 minutes is so last year.

Have just ordered the Ninja Foodi Max 15 in 1 for a whopping £270!

It’s a friends 50th soon & we do a group gift on big b’days. They were out of stock last week bar Amazon for silly money.
I bought one of these earlier in the year when it was on offer (and before everywhere sold out). It’s pretty much all I use most days apart from the odd thing on the hob and anything that needs a full size oven. Hopefully it should pay for itself with what I save on gas, the change in my electric bill has been minimal so far :thumbs:

Cooking takes relatively little energy - and it's zero if you do the cooking in the room you heat - plus the food warms you from inside.

My entire day's cooking including baking and toasting my slice of bread comes to 0.6kwh or less than 19p.
Coffee and toast - 0.09kwh - 3p

I’ve been making easy airfryer bread rolls lately, which don’t require much effort, just take a long time to rise in a cold kitchen this time of year.

It‘s a no-knead method, just mix it, forget about it, come back later and make dough balls then cook them once they’ve risen. Probably 15 mins of total effort, but 2 days of waiting around. Ingredients cost is a small fraction of what ready made bread rolls cost in the supermarket and the 8 roll batch below stretches to 4 days of lunches for me.

For 8 crusty bread rolls:
1. Mix 420g flour, 1 level tsp instant dried yeast, 1.5 lvl tsp salt in a 3 litre lidded plastic box. (Ideally high protein bread flour, but plain flour also works fine. No need to sieve it)
6DBED2D2-907F-4FBF-A146-A720C2D775CA.jpeg
2. Add 310g cold water and mix to combine with a spoon until you have a shaggy mess (no dry areas of flour). Scrape the spoon off, put lid on box and set aside for 48 hours if ambient is 16C, or 36 hours at 20C, or 24 hours if it’s summer and 25C+.
CFB848F8-66D2-4AE0-8CFA-8120C4F51C93.jpeg3B8ACD99-033A-4000-BB46-C99E588B4ADD.jpeg
3. When contents have risen 3/4 of the way up the 3 litre box, turn out onto a floured board (use a bit of dough to pick up any remnants which stick to the plastic box). Add a couple of folds to make one big doughball.
D1E63FE7-FEC2-41A2-A29A-F7F2F7ECBE48.jpegC0D29D1F-70D9-4014-B65A-32919436D21F.jpeg
4.Divide dough into 8 equalish pieces then fold into individual balls, turn upside down and cut ears with sharp scissors or knife. This video shows a few different techniques for shaping doughballs to achieve various types of bread rolls. Set aside for final rise on a floured board covered with clingfilm.
57DCC592-8347-4AE5-8FB9-0415B4705B83.jpeg

5.After 2-3 hours (1 hour in summer), with floured fingers carefully transfer doughballs to airfryer (my 3.5l airfryer will take 4 at a time) and cook 200C 20 mins with no preheat. You can turn the rolls over after 15 mins to get the undersides more coloured, if desired.
86848928-8F68-42B9-8219-C391D3B73435.jpeg04F179A1-ACB8-4855-ABA5-A31EEC8DE4E8.jpegBF191EA7-94FC-462D-A0D0-041CA87DBB8C.jpeg

Begin early in the morning on day 1, and by lunchtime day 3 you have hot bread rolls for lunch! Start again on the morning of day 4 and you’ll have a fresh batch ready to take over when the first ones are running out. Already made rolls reheat nicely in airfryer at 160C for 5 mins👨‍🍳🫓😋
519D54EF-EECC-4283-AAF1-F8A1ECF23B9F.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been making easy airfryer bread rolls lately, which don’t require much effort, just take a long time to rise in a cold kitchen this time of year.
My gran used to makes fadges which I suppose would work in an airfryer. Remember helping her make them when I was about 5 or 6.

My gran used to makes fadges which I suppose would work in an airfryer. Remember helping her make them when I was about 5 or 6.

How can you say that, when you have had one for over a fucking year, and still not used it, you muppet. :facepalm:

I still haven't worked out the difference between an airfryer and an oven which makes me reluctant to buy one as I have an oven already. I mean they just heat up the air in a chamber which is then used to cook stuff right? That's an oven.

I just got a like for this post but it's completely wrong. Especially when properly preheated air fryers have a lot more efficient hot air current past the surface of the food than any fan oven and is far more able to produce a crispy finish on the outside of suitably oiled/greased foods.

Looking forward to your inaugural usage of your airfryer, to test this theory. Pics would be good as I’m struggling to imagine what a fadge should look like :thumbs:

Airfryer garlic bread

Really easy and delicious- makes enough for 7-8 slices: Mix 30g butter, softened at room temp with 1/4 lvl tsp dried mixed herbs, 1/8 lvl tsp salt and 1 minced clove of garlic. Spread onto vertical slices taken from airfryer bread rolls or baguette and cook at 200C in airfryer 5-6mins until browning on top.

20D16709-30BC-48B6-AD4C-059447107C67.jpegA4ECE653-D306-48DF-8885-D1EF3E0F1F8C.jpeg2E399EBA-9BEB-40C4-BEC8-ABFDB740CEEA.jpeg

Last edited:
MrCurry If I wanted to do that quicker than 3 days do you know the knead method? I have a mixer with dough hooks.

Do I just follow a standard bread roll recipe but do your air fry method instead of the oven bit once ready?
Yeah, just give it an initial knead of 5-10 mins until it looks smooth then rest it covered up until it at least doubles in size. The rise will still take a long time if it’s in a cold kitchen but you can obviously just put the covered bowl somewhere warmer if you’re in a hurry. Plus of course using more yeast or feeding the yeast with a tiny bit of added sugar also speeds things up.

Yeah, just give it an initial knead of 5-10 mins until it looks smooth then rest it covered up until it at least doubles in size. The rise will still take a long time if it’s in a cold kitchen but you can obviously just put the covered bowl somewhere warmer if you’re in a hurry. Plus of course using more yeast or feeding the yeast with a tiny bit of added sugar also speeds things up.

Thanks. I’m going to give this a go for the kids sandwiches this week so I’ll do it tomorrow.

How long does the raw dough keep? Can I do the first four then keep the rest for in a day or so?

Can I do the first four then keep the rest for in a day or so?
I guess you could put half the doughballs in the fridge when you divide them, that would slow down the rise so they’re ready a couple of days after the rest.

But if the dough is all at the same temp it’ll all be ready to bake at the same time, and if you don’t use it then, it‘ll keep rising and get super sticky. You’d be better off baking them all at the same time when they’re ready, then rebake the leftovers a couple of days later at a lower temperature to freshen them up again.

There are probably others on here a lot more experienced with bread making than me, who might be better placed to advise you, but if you’re a beginner I’d keep it simple and just bake them as a single batch personally. Or experiment and see what works if you don’t mind risking a bit of dough :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom