Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Airfryer - which one is best?

Twatish food critic speaks snobbish wankery.

Yes the best chip is thick cut chip tripple fried in goose or pork fat.

Air fryers never claimed otherwise.

They're a bit shit though really. Silly things that take up loads of space and make sub par food. Give it a few years and we'll all be laughing at them like George Foreman grills and spiralizers.

Are they used for owt else other than chips?
I only ever get chips about twice a year from takeaways and have a small kitchen.

They're a bit shit though really. Silly things that take up loads of space and make sub par food. Give it a few years and we'll all be laughing at them like George Foreman grills and spiralizers.
If you know how to cook with a fan oven, you know how to cook with an airfryer which is essentially a small/mini fan oven. "Airfryer" is a bit of a misnomer. We're finding ours fantastic, the food is great and the amount of energy used is far less than heating up a large conventional oven.

They are getting people to cook who otherwise would have microwaved ultra processed food.

Instead of snearingly looking down on them try looking for the bigger picture.

If you know how to cook with a fan oven, you know how to cook with an airfryer which is essentially a small/mini fan oven. "Airfryer" is a bit of a misnomer. We're finding ours fantastic, the food is great and the amount of energy used is far less than heating up a large conventional oven.

Yeah, this is the thing, and is why Rayner is way off the mark. The current trend for them has precisely fuck all to do with them mimicking frying, and everything to do with people being shit scared of energy prices... Potential health benefits too, but I think the energy side is what's really kicked off this recent boom. I bought one of the Cosori's recently and ended up recommending it to a friend's parents (with a shitload of caveats); first thing they cooked in it was a lemon drizzle cake. Because it's a small oven.

Rayner also apparently can't cook. Which is, I suppose, more surprising than it should be. Ok, maybe he just precisely followed recipes (the Cosori ones are sometimes laughably bad), but that's just daft. And you can see in the chicken recipe he's put too much in.

And y'know, oven chips are bad. Fine. That's life... But what are you going to do on a night in? Heat up a large pan of oil on your hob and go through the enormous faff of prepping and cooking deep fried chips (even ignoring health stuff)? If you want an acceptable sauce vehicle to go with a few light ales, it's fine. Just a different thing. Though to refute myself a bit you can do a kind of semi-deep fry for most fried stuff, which isn't so bad. Does still use a fair bit of oil, and is obviously less healthy. Or more energy dense perhaps, healthy being relative.

He ends up reviewing hype that isn't really relevant to the current trend, and mentioning the reason I think most people are buying in passing at the end. Engaging with that, and basing his review on it would have been... more helpful.

Last edited:
Yes - only problem is size. It will fit a small pizza but I'm still trying to work out how to fit a 10-inch pizza into an 8-inch air fryer the circumference is all wrong :(

Yes - only problem is size. It will fit a small pizza but I'm still trying to work out how to fit a 10-inch pizza into an 8-inch air fryer the circumference is all wrong :(
Have you thought about folding it up so it fits? Presumably you could fold the sides of it up a bit so it fits inside. The topping might slide down a bit but no big deal.

and shave off a bit from the edges?

it ... might ... just ... work

or possibly cut it so that it forms a bowl type shape in the compartment, still allowing one to add extra toasty type cheese

and shave off a bit from the edges?

it ... might ... just ... work

or possibly cut it so that it forms a bowl type shape in the compartment, still allowing one to add extra toasty type cheese
Yes, cut out some sections then staple together the edges to make a pizzza bowl.

Just remember to remove the staples before eating.

Doesn't quite work - the diameter is still 2 inches larger than the air fryer basket :mad: you need to cut another hugely inconvenient bit off.
Cut into quarters and re-arrange to get half in at a time?

I feel like i should be able to work out in my head of that will work out not but i can't, lol.

Me neither :( but I think that still means you've still got two 5-inch radii which still wouldn't fit and it looks really untidy because of the gaps. :( You could turn one of the pieces upside down but I don't think that would work either.

I think we have to put this down as theoretically possible but not ideal.

The only way I can see is to cook slices on a stacking rack but I don't know whether you'd get such a good result. Plus there'd be a lot of cheese dripping off the edges.

Whoever called it an 'air fryer' has a lot to answer for in terms of unmet expectations. It's a mini fan oven, but that doesn't have quite the same cachet.

Back
Top Bottom