Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Airfryer - which one is best?

I got mine from onbuy.com but it was literally the last one on the site, they get them in and sell out in no time at all since its cheaper there than anywhere else it seems lately. Can't even find it on the site at all now, found it at currys for £104 but thats out of stock too at the moment and even amazon for £109 have sold out too. https://www.currys.co.uk/products/daewoo-sda1551-12l-rotisserie-air-fryer-oven-black-10208884.html

Good news seems £109 is actually the top of the price at amazon according to camelcamelcamel and its been down to the 90s before. Since they seem most likely to get them in first I would guess. Linked for Camelcamelcamel price tracker;

Got a link please?
My daewoo microwave has been going strong for over 20 years
I got mine from onbuy.com but it was literally the last one on the site, they get them in and sell out in no time at all since its cheaper there than anywhere else it seems lately. Can't even find it on the site at all now, found it at currys for £104 but thats out of stock too at the moment and even amazon for £109 have sold out too. https://www.currys.co.uk/products/daewoo-sda1551-12l-rotisserie-air-fryer-oven-black-10208884.html

Good news seems £109 is actually the top of the price at amazon according to camelcamelcamel and its been down to the 90s before. Since they seem most likely to get them in first I would guess. Linked for Camelcamelcamel price tracker;

How does camelcamelcamel work in practice? I looked at their website and it seems interesting, but I don’t know whether it’s worth signing up to. Presumably you have to tell it in advance which products you’re interested in then wait around for months to see if the price drops (more likely to rise, with current inflation)! I’m not sure I’m that patient / organised.

How does camelcamelcamel work in practice? I looked at their website and it seems interesting, but I don’t know whether it’s worth signing up to. Presumably you have to tell it in advance which products you’re interested in then wait around for months to see if the price drops (more likely to rise, with current inflation)! I’m not sure I’m that patient / organised.
Basically paste in any link from amazon, you can see previous prices then put a target level and your email then it emails you if the price drops to hit it.

Works well if you have things you think you may want, repeating items or things that fluctuate quite a lot, my current air frier is an instant pot and was well over £100 when I was looking at them but I wasn't about to pay that when I saw it had been at £70 before, so I set the thing and it came up on an offer a few months later for £59.99.

Have one for darn tough socks since they occasionally go on sale, anything I stick to a specific brand for really, worn the same exact shoes for years because of my feet, Brooks Adrenaline (I had managed to get 5 pairs over the years and the dog decided to chew one shoe from 4 different pairs....), so I have alerts set for all of those since I don't care if the model is 5 years old if its now on a massive price drop.

Anything you may think at some point to have put on the wishlist, its worth adding a camelcamelcamel link for the best price on it. Doesn't always line up with when you might need it but it can give you some good savings when it does. Never managed to use it for white goods since thats always a case of well its fucked NOW, but even things like deodorant, batteries, hell even giant packs of bog roll can fluctuate weirdly in price so I get it on offer and usually use the subscribe and save for another 15% off too. I know we are supposed to hate amazon but it does work out cheaper, plus where I am I can find nothing local anyway.

It may not be a huge surprise that I've done accounting/finance, IT, data analysis and procurement for a living lol.

Basically paste in any link from amazon, you can see previous prices then put a target level and your email then it emails you if the price drops to hit it.

<snip>

It may not be a huge surprise that I've done accounting/finance, IT, data analysis and procurement for a living lol.
Thanks - seems worth knowing about. I hope I’ll remember it next time I have something which needs buying from Amazon

1kg of baked potatoes just about fitted in the airfryer and if cooked at 160C for 90 mins would have come out well.

What actually happened was I started them at 150, got paranoid after 20 mins that nothing much was happening, turned them up to 175 for half an hour then fretted the skins were getting dark, so turned down to 160C for another 15-20mins. 😝

Still made for a nice dinner with lasagne sauce and cheese on 😋 Hopefully used less than half the electricity of having the oven on for 90 mins.

View attachment 353471
If saving electricity is the goal, nuking them for 10-15 minutes and then 10-15 in the air fryer on high will get the same results for a lot less juice. The microwave is perfectly capable of cooking them nice and fluffy, you really only want the air fryer to crisp the skin up a bit.

If saving electricity is the goal, nuking them for 10-15 minutes and then 10-15 in the air fryer on high will get the same results for a lot less juice. The microwave is perfectly capable of cooking them nice and fluffy, you really only want the air fryer to crisp the skin up a bit.
Thanks - another time I might do that. I’ve done microwave / oven jacket spuds in the past but found the skin didn’t get that thick, crusty nice tasting layer which comes from a long oven cook. But I probably will forego that in future in favour of the lower energy cost you highlighted, since electricity is so fucking expensive.

Late to the party, but similar to record players, I'm not entirely sure how they work, but I'm 100% certain that witchcraft is involved somewhere.
Someone years ago remarked to me that it's not that things like TVs and aeroplanes work so well that he found incredible, it's that they work at all.

This article has convinced me that there’s no point in getting one for my kitchen:
I've always been suspicious of pressure cookers for safety reasons. And batch cooking in oven's fair enough but haven't you often got to heat them up again afterwards, and batch cooking is of limited use to me though on my own.

I've always been suspicious of pressure cookers for safety reasons. And batch cooking in oven's fair enough but haven't you often got to heat them up again afterwards, and batch cooking is of limited use to me though on my own.
I’m sticking to the hob and the oven as they’re cheap enough to run without losing kitchen space to an air fryer. Have alway cooked in batches and frozen half of the meals I make like stews and risottos - I use my work’s leccy to heat things up for lunch so no extra cost there either.
Don’t do much frying anyway.
Don’t need a pressure cooker though slow cookers are a better investment IMO, but again they take up space.

I'm going to have a go at fixing my microwave.
Now I have a good fridge I'm not reheating a whole pan of stew every night and a microwave might help save energy.
I'm also planning to try making a hay box..

What about cleaning air fryers then?

I'm on a self imposed agreement with Mrs Voltz about not buying one until the combination desktop oven/grill/microwave dies, and as it's not that old and a half decent make shouldn't be on the way out any time soon. In the mean time I'm "doing my research" and whilst I am sorely taken with these double hopper Ninja doo dash I'm more interested in a combination slow/pressure/airfryer.

But it's the cleaning of them that looks a nightmare. I don't mind taking things apart a bit for the occasional deep clean but it's your day to day maintenance clean that looks a right ball ache and more often than not that means it does not get done resulting in the need of more regular deep cleaning

All the Corsori parts just go straight in the dishwasher. Not sure about the inside/element.

I'll edit in a pic

View attachment 354422
It's the element bit that is my cause for concern. Failure to clean / maintain to a certain standard would almost certainly void the warranty yet taking apart to properly clean would do the same

Why can't things be made properly

My airfryers are both of the slide in / take out drawer type, so the only bit which ever gets cleaned is the drawer. The element I assume is self cleaning as it will burn off anything which touches it.

If i’ve cooked something messy like chicken tikka or souvlaki I’ll soak the drawer in water and then wash properly with hot water and washing up liquid. More often I’ve cooked something relatively clean like bread rolls or oven chips, then the draw just gets a quick wipe with a paper towel as it’s not dirty to begin with.

Just like the shelves inside a normal oven don’t need to be made hygienically clean after each time you use it, I reckon the temps inside an airfryer make it sterile upon use, so you don’t need to stress over making it shiny after each use.

1kg of baked potatoes just about fitted in the airfryer and if cooked at 160C for 90 mins would have come out well.

What actually happened was I started them at 150, got paranoid after 20 mins that nothing much was happening, turned them up to 175 for half an hour then fretted the skins were getting dark, so turned down to 160C for another 15-20mins. 😝

Still made for a nice dinner with lasagne sauce and cheese on 😋 Hopefully used less than half the electricity of having the oven on for 90 mins.

View attachment 353471
The tip I keep reading is to microwave spuds first and then bung them in the airfryer for a few minutes for crispy skins.

*I haven't got an airfryer but this alone makes me tempted

I was so close to buying a new microwave ...
I just plugged in the one that I swear had stopped working 5 years ago and it's bloody working. I was all set to pillage the transformer out of it ...
It could have saved me a fair bit of bother over the years.
It holds out the danger of "baked" potatoes, but also portion control via not having a ginormous saucepan to fill - but getting half a bag of kale into my pyrex may be a challenge so it may yet not help much ... I may do half and half ...
I'm still not going to buy an airfryer before I'm down at least one BMI point and preferably two ...

I’m sticking to the hob and the oven as they’re cheap enough to run without losing kitchen space to an air fryer. Have alway cooked in batches and frozen half of the meals I make like stews and risottos - I use my work’s leccy to heat things up for lunch so no extra cost there either.
Don’t do much frying anyway.
Don’t need a pressure cooker though slow cookers are a better investment IMO, but again they take up space.
I love my Instant Pot presssure cooker - brilliant for stews, soups, curries, dals and risottos and a heap of other things. Much better than a slow cooker - gave mine away. Not really interested in an air fryer after reading that same Guardian article and a similar one in The Times.

That looks good! Recipe please :)
I have just bought a small piece of gammon (1.07 kg) and usually boil them but this year we have an air fryer...
Button says ...

Buy small 600g gammon joint, tightly wrap in tin foil, place in enamel dish, preheated airfryer bake for 35 mins. Remove foil and place back in airfryer for another 10 minutes. Rest gammon in dish for at least 10 minutes (cover with new tin foil) and get the chips started in the airfryer. The gammon will still be proper hot and steaming in half an hour when the chips are cooked.

IMG_20221206_182844.jpg

Back
Top Bottom