Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Air travel!

But I still think Airbus is far better off having launched the 380, from the prestige and technological know-how they acquired.

Of course Airbus are better off. They got 3bn EUR of "repayable launch investment" from the British, French, German and Spanish taxpayers to develop the A380. None of which is ever going to be repaid as the A380 line is never going to make 1 euro of profit even if they shift all 319 contracted frames.

Its looks are an acquired taste, it's fair to say. Having said that its wingspang is spectacular, even more so with flaps down

maxresdefault.jpg

Same here, but don't like sitting in line with the propellers in case they come off and slice through the cabin, chopping my legs off. As has happened, never in the history of aviation...

It's happened quite a few times. The one I can recall is a LHS blade coming off an Aeroflot An-24 which went through the fuselage killing two or three passengers and severing all the flight controls. A turn of events which soon killed the remaining passengers and crew.

It's happened quite a few times. The one I can recall is a LHS blade coming off an Aeroflot An-24 which went through the fuselage killing two or three passengers and severing all the flight controls. A turn of events which soon killed the remaining passengers and crew.
So it does pay off to sit right by the propeller then, as you'd be killed instantly unlike the other buggers on the plane who'd have to endure two minutes of free-falling terror first.

I'm not scared of flying, and if I'm in a plane which is actually in the air flying, then I can just about cope. I am unfortunately terribly claustrophobic. :oops: The last two flights I've taken have been split flights, which is a thing in China, I don't know about other large countries, where you stop at another city roughly half-way to your destination and get off the plane before re-boarding with a whole load of extra passengers and then continue the journey.

Our first flight was from our home city in China to Kunming, with a pick-up in Qingdao. Everything was going great until we re-boarded in Qingdao and didn't take off. Then they started handing out the food, while we were still on the runway. This is always a bad sign.
After over an hour of sitting on the runway, it turned out I was having a panic attack (I didn't notice :facepalm: :oops:) and I had to be lead to the front of the plane, sweating and hyperventilating, and be made to stand in the little tunnel-bridge thing which connects the plane to the terminal. Then they sat me on a seat in the galley for an hour or so, while I sweated and hyperventilated and cried and begged to be allowed to disembark. My husband swung by occasionally, shame-faced and sympathetic, mostly towards the staff tbh. :D Eventually they sat me in first class, because it was empty, and I fell asleep since it was pretty late at night by then.

I woke up to see us still flying, with a massive storm on the horizon. Then we landed ... In Chengdu. We were not flying to Chengdu. :( They announced that the weather was too severe to land in Kunming, so we were just going to wait. On the plane. For an unspecified amount of time. In Chengdu. :eek: :D At which point I had another panic attack. :D :facepalm: Mr Yu had less sympathy for me this time, as did the staff. :D A couple of hours later we did actually arrive in Kunming, more than twelve hours after we'd left our home city, and a day late.

After two weeks in Yunnan province, I'd mostly (mostly) forgotten the trauma of that journey, and yesterday we did the return flight. This time our plane would stop in Nanjing to pick-up more passengers, before we continued to our home city in China.
We boarded the plane on time, and it seemed like everything was going well, but then they announced that the flight was going to be delayed, and started handing out the food while we were still on the runway. :facepalm: :D This time, I'd chopped a sleeping tablet in half, albeit not very exactly, so one half was much bigger than the other, and I took the smaller piece, so as to not have a full breakdown on the plane again. Surprisingly, this made me fall asleep, rather than just be calm, and I woke up two hours later just as we were landing in Nanjing. :thumbs:
I don't know if the airline now carries some special warning about the mad foreign lady who can't handle delays, but as we were getting off the plane, one of the air stewards came up to me, lightly caressing me and holding my hand, saying "You're just going into the terminal for a little while, and then you'll get back back on the plane".
"Just relax, take a rest", she said. :oops:

We climbed down the metal stairs and got onto one of those airport transfer buses next to the plane. My sleeping tablet had completely worn off by then. After ten minutes of not moving, I looked at my husband and said, "They've locked us in this bus until they put us back on the plane, haven't they?".
"No, no. No. :hmm: " My husband said, nervously.
After another thirty minutes I had a panic attack. :facepalm: :D
Fortunately they started re-boarding us pretty quickly after that, but I wouldn't get on the plane. :facepalm: My husband was asking if we were going to be delayed, and the staff were saying, yes, probably, who knows how long for! Then the staff started actually full-body hugging me, and hugging my husband, and trying to enfold us into a full group hug of love and support. :eek: :D :D Then the ground staff appeared, and the air stewards started screaming at them in Chinese for locking us in a bus. Then the captain came, and they hustled me into my seat and I took my larger part of the sleeping tablet while my husband spoke to the captain. Then the plane took off and I passed out.

When we got off the plane in our home city the air stewards gave me some fruit and some more full body hugs, like air steward sandwiches, where I was completely enveloped in their ... I dunno? Pity? :D :facepalm:

Anyway, like Mr Yu said, it was a good experiment, but we'll go back to taking the train again next time. :oops:

TL;DR I am one of those crazy people who loses it on planes and promise never to fly short-haul in China again.

I'm not scared of flying, and if I'm in a plane which is actually in the air flying, then I can just about cope. I am unfortunately terribly claustrophobic. :oops: The last two flights I've taken have been split flights, which is a thing in China, I don't know about other large countries, where you stop at another city roughly half-way to your destination and get off the plane before re-boarding with a whole load of extra passengers and then continue the journey.

Our first flight was from our home city in China to Kunming, with a pick-up in Qingdao. Everything was going great until we re-boarded in Qingdao and didn't take off. Then they started handing out the food, while we were still on the runway. This is always a bad sign.
After over an hour of sitting on the runway, it turned out I was having a panic attack (I didn't notice :facepalm: :oops:) and I had to be lead to the front of the plane, sweating and hyperventilating, and be made to stand in the little tunnel-bridge thing which connects the plane to the terminal. Then they sat me on a seat in the galley for an hour or so, while I sweated and hyperventilated and cried and begged to be allowed to disembark. My husband swung by occasionally, shame-faced and sympathetic, mostly towards the staff tbh. :D Eventually they sat me in first class, because it was empty, and I fell asleep since it was pretty late at night by then.

I woke up to see us still flying, with a massive storm on the horizon. Then we landed ... In Chengdu. We were not flying to Chengdu. :( They announced that the weather was too severe to land in Kunming, so we were just going to wait. On the plane. For an unspecified amount of time. In Chengdu. :eek: :D At which point I had another panic attack. :D :facepalm: Mr Yu had less sympathy for me this time, as did the staff. :D A couple of hours later we did actually arrive in Kunming, more than twelve hours after we'd left our home city, and a day late.

After two weeks in Yunnan province, I'd mostly (mostly) forgotten the trauma of that journey, and yesterday we did the return flight. This time our plane would stop in Nanjing to pick-up more passengers, before we continued to our home city in China.
We boarded the plane on time, and it seemed like everything was going well, but then they announced that the flight was going to be delayed, and started handing out the food while we were still on the runway. :facepalm: :D This time, I'd chopped a sleeping tablet in half, albeit not very exactly, so one half was much bigger than the other, and I took the smaller piece, so as to not have a full breakdown on the plane again. Surprisingly, this made me fall asleep, rather than just be calm, and I woke up two hours later just as we were landing in Nanjing. :thumbs:
I don't know if the airline now carries some special warning about the mad foreign lady who can't handle delays, but as we were getting off the plane, one of the air stewards came up to me, lightly caressing me and holding my hand, saying "You're just going into the terminal for a little while, and then you'll get back back on the plane".
"Just relax, take a rest", she said. :oops:

We climbed down the metal stairs and got onto one of those airport transfer buses next to the plane. My sleeping tablet had completely worn off by then. After ten minutes of not moving, I looked at my husband and said, "They've locked us in this bus until they put us back on the plane, haven't they?".
"No, no. No. :hmm: " My husband said, nervously.
After another thirty minutes I had a panic attack. :facepalm: :D
Fortunately they started re-boarding us pretty quickly after that, but I wouldn't get on the plane. :facepalm: My husband was asking if we were going to be delayed, and the staff were saying, yes, probably, who knows how long for! Then the staff started actually full-body hugging me, and hugging my husband, and trying to enfold us into a full group hug of love and support. :eek: :D :D Then the ground staff appeared, and the air stewards started screaming at them in Chinese for locking us in a bus. Then the captain came, and they hustled me into my seat and I took my larger part of the sleeping tablet while my husband spoke to the captain. Then the plane took off and I passed out.

When we got off the plane in our home city the air stewards gave me some fruit and some more full body hugs, like air steward sandwiches, where I was completely enveloped in their ... I dunno? Pity? :D :facepalm:

Anyway, like Mr Yu said, it was a good experiment, but we'll go back to taking the train again next time. :oops:

TL;DR I am one of those crazy people who loses it on planes and promise never to fly short-haul in China again.

It must have been the storms around Beijing yesterday. Ms A320 was flying from Chengdu to Beijing last night; first they cancelled her flight, they all got put in a queue for buses to a hotel. Then they reinstated the flight. She ended up just 4 hours late.

No fruit or steward hugs though.

I hate flying.

It's scary, uncomfortable, bad for the planet, and the hoops you have to jump through now to get on a plane is ridiculous. I remember the excitement of it, when I was a kid. It all felt easy. Turn up at the airport two hours before, queue for a few minutes and check in your bags, then get on the plane and eat some shit, but weirdly cute, food in a little tray.

Now it's arrive three hours before, and hope that this is enough time to get through security checks. Get herded through said checks and get told off when you've left a 200ml bottle of liquid in your case instead of putting it in a clear bag, and then having your deoderant removed, or your port that you brought back from Lisbon taken off you because you forgot about the rule. You can buy some more as soon as you're through the gates, though: £££.

Then you don't have enough room to put your bag in the overhead compartments because nobody can afford to double their flight costs by checking in their luggage, so everythings in the cabin. You can't sit with your girlfriend because you didn't pay to choose a seat, and because you didn't pay extra to jump the queue, by the time you got on the only seats left were singles.

No food for you, because you didn't pay again. But even if you did pay for all of these extras, we're still gonna blast adverts at you for scratch cards and other pointless shit - because you look too comfortable in your tiny seats there.

Oh, and now you've arrived, it's silly o'clock and you're in the middle of nowhere, but as everything's interconnected now, there's a handy shuttle train to take you to the centre - great idea, should really cut down on car uses by making it simple to get to the airport. Oh, what's this? You have to pay double for a train ticket as there's an "airport surcharge"? Fuck off!
It is quite amazing how what is basically a miraculous activity has been turned into the biggest pain in the arse imaginable. I particularly like coming back to the UK and finding that the train ticket back home costs as much as all of the train tickets I've paid for on holiday put together. Also I defy anyone not to go full open borders when confronted with fucking immigration at Heathrow. (I particularly like all the signs they have up about how "Border Bastards" or whatever they're called are protecting us all by making you stand in a weird spiral queue for half an hour to wait to walk through a machine that says no.)

A flight from the UK to Australia at 8,000 feet could be the best geography lesson of your lifetime.

Once you’ve left behind the greenery of Europe down the Rhone-Saone corridor you begin to realise how much of the Earth’s surface is arid. Thousands of miles of yellow and brown across the North African deserts, the weirdly torn montain-tops of the Horn of Africa, and the barren coasts of Arabia and Iran. The green gradually returns as you fly south and east across the Sub-continent until you reach the lushness of the tropics. And then you get to Darwin. The route from there south to Adelaide takes you over over one of the strangest deserts in the world. Huge contorted sand dunes that stretch for miles and miles.

If on the other hand you fly westwards from the UK you’ll find out how much of eastern Canada is just lake and forest, and how flat and boring are the carefully ruled-out Mid-Western States. “Fly-over country”.

High-flying aircraft with pressurised cabins have made “fly-over country” of the whole world.

As we don’t have an aviation news thread, this one seems the most appropriate.... I was very pleased to see today that Emirates has placed a programme-saving order for up to 36 A380s

Airbus finally secures lifeline for A380 with Emirates deal

This aircraft is too magnificent to suffer the ignominy of an early production termination. This deal might even open the door for orders from other airlines and, five years down the line, the launch of an NEO model.

Back
Top Bottom