Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Air travel!

Yes, its higher cabin pressure apparently means one arrives less jet lagged. I believe the A350 and to a lesser degree the A380 also have higher-than-standard cabin pressure. My flight wasn't long enough to trigger jet lag anyway.

I haven't flown on the A380 yet, but reading numerous reports on aviation forums from people who have, that seems to be the most passenger friendly aircraft out there, and by a long shot.

I haven't flown on the A380 yet, but reading numerous reports on aviation forums from people who have, that seems to be the most passenger friendly aircraft out there, and by a long shot.

Its certainly less confined so you get a greater feeling of space. Also cause of its size you don't feel as much turbulence so a smoother ride, beyond that its all the same really. Its well boring on the runway though, feels like you're just going to drive to your destination rather than fly.

I dunno, it kind of feels that with planes (like cars) most of the advances in technology these days are invisible. The experience for the passenger depends far more on the airline then the plane. Personally I prefer the a330 simply because of the seat configuration, just 2 seats at the window instead of 3. Means me and my g/f can sit by ourselves.

Supposedly you're supposed to feel better after a long haul flight on a Dreamliner. I've only flown short haul on it so far, I have an overnight coming up next year on a Dreamliner so I will report back then.

Have 11 hours on an A350 and 4 on an A330 straight after, so will compare. A350 configuration is 1-2-1, A330 is 2-2-2

:p

most of the advances in technology these days are invisible
Just like the cabin radiation. ;)
Supposedly you're supposed to feel better after a long haul flight on a Dreamliner. I've only flown short haul on it so far, I have an overnight coming up next year on a Dreamliner so I will report back then.
I did a 12 hour leg and a 9 hour leg on 787s in quick succession earlier this year (couple of hours break between flights). Can’t say I arrived feeling any more or less fresh than usual. Electronic window blinds are annoying (can’t see out the window, don’t block all the light anyway - casting a weird blue hue). Most 787s have this config but a couple of airlines have had them replaced with traditional blinds that the individual can control (the electronic ones do have a control below each window but the cabin crew can override it and frequently do).

Just like the cabin radiation. ;)

I did a 12 hour leg and a 9 hour leg on 787s in quick succession earlier this year (couple of hours break between flights). Can’t say I arrived feeling any more or less fresh than usual. Electronic window blinds are annoying (can’t see out the window, don’t block all the light anyway - casting a weird blue hue). Most 787s have this config but a couple of airlines have had them replaced with traditional blinds that the individual can control (the electronic ones do have a control below each window but the cabin crew can override it and frequently do).

I normally get shit faced on a plane anyway so I can't imagine I'll end up feeling anything other than ropey as.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't limit it to 2 drinks each or something, just scan the boarding passes. What they need to do is stop people getting smashed on spirits they've just brought from the duty free shop, I've seen that happen a fair bit.

The airlines are being pretty disingenuous in blaming the airports. The worst flight I've been on for drunken behavior was a flight to Ibiza where a large group were all totally wasted. They were in high spirits but it was chaos from the moment they boarded, the airline (Jet 2) happily sold them more booze for the whole flight.

That 6am Gatwick pint really does let you know you're on holiday :thumbs:

This will probably go through cos MPs and shit go to the lounges which will be unaffected, cos they don't sell booze.

The 777X, 787, A350 and A380 can all be operated at 6000 feet equivalent effective cabin altitude. Everything else at around 8000 feet.
Cheers. I’m sure it helps somewhat towards jet lag but I doubt it’s a game changer. I’d imagine intelligent-use of ambient lighting throughout the flight would be a more effective tool. Or a bit more space in economy.

Apparently the fuselage width of the 787 makes a 9-abreast configuration rather crammed but technically possible, and of course many airlines are choosing 9-abreast instead of the optimal 8. My pkane was 9, and while the pitch was about adequate at 32 in., the width was not generous at all.

Last edited:
I'll be flying on a 787-8 for Christmas in ghuangzhou (airport) and then a 787-9 to New Zealand soon

China Southern, 9 seat wide but I don't remember them being that cramped the last two years, my partner and her child were in the other two seats in the row then though so it might feel different this year, except that the layout looked pretty empty when I picked my seat
I haven't flown much the past few years either, so not much to compare it to

I like this thread. I love flying in anything I can manage to get into (usually just passenger aircraft) but I've hardly flown in ten years, then I changed jobs and there's loads of flying to be had.
I'm having to retrain myself in the finer arts of packing so I only need carry on, and how to avoid the long queues at airports.
I'm like a pig in shit.

Is it just China Southern or do all 787s have a toilet seat that won't stay up in the cubicle or both cubicles next to each other that face the rear of the plane (the ones where the partition can be removed to make a disabled toilet), I think I've noticed it every time I've been on one and it takes the piss, literally if you're not careful

On a 787-8 right now. Cabin crew seem to have let passengers choose individual window settings. One thing I've noticed with these electrochromic units is they attenuate RF so the cabin is a Faraday cage as regards personal GNSS. Toilet lid seats stay where you put them.
20181231_092637.jpg

Airline Accident statistics for 2018

As in previous years, number of fatalities for western airlines is very low.

Only 1 death on a western airline.

The accidents statistics inlcude some strange stuff like this aircraft,

Convair 340 built in 1954

The aircraft was retired in 2009 and sat unused until May 2018, when Rovos Air donated it to Dutch aviation museum Aviodrome.
The museum had the aircraft restored and painted in the colours of Martin's Air Charter, a Dutch air charter company that operated Convairs in the 1950s (still operating in 2018, as cargo airline Martinair); and plans were made to fly the aircraft to the Netherlands through eastern Africa and central Europe, departing on July 12.

The aircraft was operating a test flight in preparation for its delivery flight. Shortly after takeoff, the aircraft's left engine began trailing brown smoke

2018 Pretoria Convair 340 crash - Wikipedia

24471_1530449896.jpg

ASN_infographic_2018..jpg

Airline Accident statistics for 2018

As in previous years, number of fatalities for western airlines is very low.

Only 1 death on a western airline.

The accidents statistics inlcude some strange stuff like this aircraft,

Convair 340 built in 1954

2018 Pretoria Convair 340 crash - Wikipedia

24471_1530449896.jpg

ASN_infographic_2018..jpg

Yeah had to keep fear of flying Frau Bahn away from BBC news this morning with it’s dramatic headline of a surge in flight fatalities, just before taking a three hour flight :rolleyes:

It was a bumpy one too, I barely noticed, she lost her shit over it, must be pretty rough to feel that way.

Food was good though;

F997896A-AD8A-4CB0-A9CF-A6EC7A138BF1.jpeg

And there was a dragon on the engine :cool:

6B58D651-9F1F-4EF6-AFA1-9386343B587D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom