Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Air travel!

Seems they may end up being rebranded as Virgin something or other. So for domestic travel you have the choice of East or West Coast trains or Virgin flights :hmm:

I wonder what the future of some of the smaller airports is as well. I don't know how some of them turn a profit. Before I get accused of snobbery again I don't mean the likes of Manchester and Liverpool I mean places like Bournemouth and Southampton. Is there a need for both airports? Would Bristol and Cardiff be better served by one big airport?

I see the likes of Coventry are no longer doing commercial flights.

I wonder what the future of some of the smaller airports is as well. I don't know how some of them turn a profit. Before I get accused of snobbery again I don't mean the likes of Manchester and Liverpool I mean places like Bournemouth and Southampton. Is there a need for both airports? Would Bristol and Cardiff be better served by one big airport?

We periodically lose commercial airports like Blackpool, and ones like Bournemouth are probably not far off that fate. Southampton's continued existence will be largely based around the presence of Flybe.

When the existence of short hop domestic flights (e.g. Soton-Manchester) is based on convenience then you do need more local airports. 40+ more minutes to Bournemouth further reduces competition against car or train. You might argue that's a good thing, of course.

Plymouth has gone for good. And that's a long way from anywhere so some flights could have been viable, local economics not so good tho. Manston looks set to be a place where food can rot in the back of trucks...

Teesside Airport shut down a few years ago, though it was never a busy one anyway. I only flew from it once, I think.

Anyway, the reason I'm here: I'm going to Madeira in a few weeks. Apparently the airport is a bit scary. I'm not a good flyer.

How many pairs of underpants will I need to wear?

Teesside Airport shut down a few years ago, though it was never a busy one anyway. I only flew from it once, I think.

Anyway, the reason I'm here: I'm going to Madeira in a few weeks. Apparently the airport is a bit scary. I'm not a good flyer.

Madeira’s a corker. Pilots have to have special training to land there so you probably won’t die.

Teesside is open though.

Madeira’s a corker. Pilots have to have special training to land there so you probably won’t die.

Short runway, jutting out in to the sea, recently been extended though, which takes some of the excitement away. Any disappointment at not emulating Glenn Miller can be made up for by entering the terminal building and seeking out the statue of the maybe-rapist winker...

Really? I remember it closing, then turning in an RAF base or something?

Nah, Manston in Kent closed down, Teesside has clung on, but by a thread and could go at any time I guess. It has changed names, to Durham Tees Valley.

Nah, Manston in Kent closed down, Teesside has clung on, but by a thread and could go at any time I guess. It has changed names, to Durham Tees Valley.
Aye, I knew about the name change.

Just reading about the Tees Mayor's bid to bring it back into public ownership. Hes going to let the public vote to call it Teesside again if they get it :thumbs:

3095.jpg

Today's the 50th anniverary of Concorde's maiden flight

50th anniversary of Concorde's maiden flight - in pictures

777-9X officially unveiled next week. Folding wing tips and London-Sydney in one hop with a full seat configuration now within reach (though A350 is also a contender for this).

D0bV0JzWwAAJ5p5.jpg-large_1170.jpeg

With their ever bigger engines and all, I hope this latest 777 generation has better soundproofing than its predecessors...

At Xmas we went to Hong Kong on an A350, back on a 777. On the return Frau Bahn couldn't sleep at all as it was so loud, such a massive difference. And last Saturday was outside at T5 when a 747 took off right past us, followed by an A380, again the difference was stunning.

Christ the BA app is crap. Thought their website was bad but the app is even worse.

Couldn’t cope with changing a (flexible) flight. Had to do it on website instead, managed to change it and it’s still not shown as changed on the app :facepalm:

The A330 has always looked great to me. I’m also liking the ‘racoon eyes’ Airbus is nowadays painting around the edges of the windscreens on new models, though a lot if others don’t.

Newquay must rate as a tiny, pointless, unnecessary airport.

Newquay must rate as a tiny, pointless, unnecessary airport.
Newquay is one of the most successful small UK airports. Even from London the time savings against other transport options are significant but from more northern parts of the country they're enormous. It does well as a holiday and weekend break destination and SAS have started a scheduled service between there and Copenhagen which links into their global network so people in the South West don't need to come to London to fly out any more.

Newquay is one of the most successful small UK airports. Even from London the time savings against other transport options are significant but from more northern parts of the country they're enormous. It does well as a holiday and weekend break destination and SAS have started a scheduled service between there and Copenhagen which links into their global network so people in the South West don't need to come to London to fly out any more.

Also direct flights from Dusseldorf. Shame as I have someone who goes twice a month from Munich to Newquay, the timings mean she must overnight at Heathrow on the return.

Back
Top Bottom