Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Air travel!

I took an onward flight to San Sebastien, so hopefully that will add a degree or two to what you south London gentrifiers are suffering. Actually a pleasant 23 degrees here.
A hot but pleasantly dry 28-30C in Cabo de Gata. Sent a pic of us enjoying a cold beer on the beach a mere three metres from the water yesterday to friends and coworkers in London, which they all appreciated.

I flew to Madrid as well (on EasyJet sadly), to briefly see family then drove to Almeria in a petrol car. Not sure if I might have contributed more or less to the London temperatures by doing this than by flying direct to Almería.

We got the 777 treatment when we flew to Madrid last summer, nice surprise. Apparently this summer BA are breaking in their brand-new A350s on the LHR-MAD route as well, so you might get one of those on your way back. Flying back from Murcia’s new airport ourselves so no such luck for us.

Last edited:
A hot but pleasantly dry 28-30C in Cabo de Gata. Sent a pic of us enjoying a cold beer on the beach a mere three metres from the water yesterday to friends and coworkers in London, which they all appreciated.

I flew to Madrid as well (on EasyJet sadly), to briefly see family then drove to Almeria in a petrol car. Not sure if I might have contributed more or less to the London temperatures by doing this than by flying direct to Almería.

We got the 777 treatment when we flew to Madrid last summer, nice surprise. Apparently this summer BA are breaking in their brand-new A350s on the LHR-MAD route as well, so you might get one of those on your way back. Flying back from Murcia’s new airport ourselves so no such luck for us.

I am on a 777 for the way back, will be on BA’s A350 in October to Toronto though, enclosed suites in club.

Frau Bahn came here by ferry, so we have a 3ltr diesel to tear around in, should see London burning up soon enough...

I'm flying on Air New Zealand London to LA in a few weeks. I'm really hoping it has wifi on board - their page suggests the 777-300s are first in line to get it but not that they actually all have it yet - it's honestly more essential to me now than any onboard movies/tv. At least I can whatsapp people and read the news/urban. 11hrs with no contact with the outside world makes me feel uneasy these days.

What’s the price differential between that and cattle class for those of us who have to pay full price? And is it worth it for short haul? I mean apart from avoiding the riff-raff?

Economy was £270, business £330. Not needed for short haul, but nice all the same. They use it for training so you get better food than in regular Club Europe too.

I didn’t know we were getting a 777 last year. I saw in the seat plan it was a widebody bird so I thought we’d be on one of their 767s that they used in the summer on some European routes. I chose seats as far forward as possible and discovered upon boarding we were in the premium economy cabin, which was nice.

So what's going on at Ryanair?

The threat of mass job losses just because a handful of 737 Max have not been delivered yet. Its not like their fleet is made up of them and they're having to wet lease replacements. I know they mention oil and over capacity but bringing the max into it is an odd one.

What are the chances this coincides with a conversation they are having with Boeing regarding compensation?

So what's going on at Ryanair?

The threat of mass job losses just because a handful of 737 Max have not been delivered yet. Its not like their fleet is made up of them and they're having to wet lease replacements. I know they mention oil and over capacity but bringing the max into it is an odd one.

What are the chances this coincides with a conversation they are having with Boeing regarding compensation?
Oh without a doubt. O’Leary is the biggest cunt in aviation history, and the greediest one as well. His ‘we totally raped Boeing during our last order negotiations’ comment a few years ago perfectly illustrates the man.

What the eternally foolish Ryanair customers don’t realise is that the 737 MAX frames destined for Ryanair are a exclusive sub-variant crammed with an unprecedented (for that size of a plane) 200 seats. Basically you would travel in more comfort in a Roman galley slave ship than you will in one of Ryanair MAXs.

Oh without a doubt. O’Leary is the biggest cunt in aviation history, and the greediest one as well. His ‘we totally raped Boeing during our last order negotiations’ comment a few years ago perfectly illustrates the man.

Yes, though Willy Walsh has been jealous of not having that title for many years now. He's still coming up fast on the rails.

What the eternally foolish Ryanair customers don’t realise is that the 737 MAX frames destined for Ryanair are a exclusive sub-variant crammed with an unprecedented (for that size of a plane) 200 seats. Basically you would travel in more comfort in a Roman galley slave ship than you will in one of Ryanair MAXs.

The legroom in the Ryanair max's does sound grim which is a little odd really because they've recently increased the leg room in their existing 800's when being re-furbed. Its the nature of new generation Boeing planes though, the passenger experience is miserable. Just look at the "dreamliner", horrible plane to travel on in economy unless you are tiny.

Thing is though some customers may be foolish but many simply don't have a choice. Ryanair do operate quite a few services where they are the only direct option.

First visit to the new-ish Murcia international airport. Today’s the busiest weekend of the year outside of Christmas, and these are all the scheduled departures here for this late afternoon/ evening...

25-E903-DE-4685-4466-87-AE-865-EB939-EF6-C.jpg

Can’t see the airport staying in business for long if this is the amount of traffic they get at the peak summer holiday time...

Trying to find cheap return flights to Havanna for October 10/20 back 25/26th, average now £700 on the net I could find, any other recommendations please?

Tried Skyscanner and a few bigger names.

Trying to find cheap return flights to Havanna for October 10/20 back 25/26th, average now £700 on the net I could find, any other recommendations please?

Tried Skyscanner and a few bigger names.
Are there any direct flights to Havana from the US or has Trump banned them all? If there are some it could be slightly cheaper to fly to somewhere in Florida and then on to Havana?

Reactions: OzT
Are there any direct flights to Havana from the US or has Trump banned them all? If there are some it could be slightly cheaper to fly to somewhere in Florida and then on to Havana?

AA is generally cheapest from Miami, but a through ticket with them from elsewhere in the US will also be a decent option and cheaper than a one way to Miami and a one way to Havana.

Flights are still going.

Newquay must rate as a tiny, pointless, unnecessary airport.

Newquay airport is smashing it. Full flights in and out all the time, nice and shiny. Happy people in happy people out. Seems to do well all year round and there are plenty of people saying fuck it I want to live by the sea and be able to get to a world wide hub snappy

Love it. My current route back from the Middle East is Abu Dhabi-Dublin-Newquay. Set off at 0300 home for lunch :D depending on the wind direction fly in over the beach to see what the waves are doing then in the water in the afternoon

Flights from Newquay | Cornwall Airport Newquay

Last edited:
Was driving through Richmond Park today, which is on the final approach path to Heathrow, and thought not for the first time how quiet modern airliners are. There was an A380 flying so low you felt you could touch it, and it was almost silent on the ground.

Back in the 90s when I lived in Clapham Junction, which is much further away from
LHR and planes are flying higher, I was actually woken up by the 747s arriving from the Far East at 5am as the first flights of the day, so loud the fuckers were.

I got the train from Madrid to Bristol recently and it was great.. far more of an enjoyable experience than flying. Flights were well expensive so it only cost me 40 quid more and I got a full day in Paris too.

Sure the taking off bit is great but the rest is a chore. When you've flown a lot, not even the sight of people wriggling and adjusting their underwear sneakily can make it more entertaining. Airports are grim and depressing... either bland and functional or chaotic and hellish. Sorry for the hate :D

Def not giving up flying but im sold on travelling more by other means in future.

Was driving through Richmond Park today, which is on the final approach path to Heathrow, and thought not for the first time how quiet modern airliners are. There was an A380 flying so low you felt you could touch it, and it was almost silent on the ground.

Back in the 90s when I lived in Clapham Junction, which is much further away from
LHR and planes are flying higher, I was actually woken up by the 747s arriving from the Far East at 5am as the first flights of the day, so loud the fuckers were.
They still make enough of a racket flying over Loughborough junction on the approach to Heathrow. They don't wake me up as such, as I've got used to it, but guests often say they do, in the summer when the windows are open.

They still make enough of a racket flying over Loughborough junction on the approach to Heathrow. They don't wake me up as such, as I've got used to it, but guests often say they do, in the summer when the windows are open.
I’ve told the pilots to boost the throttles when they fly over your gaff.

I would have thought you would have noticed the noise much more over Richmond Park then Loughborough due to the background noise.
We never notice the noise of planes flying over ours. We barely notice the choppers anymore.
It's quite something to stand in Richmond Park to see the planes flying in. In the right spot, I think you can see 4 at anyone time queuing up to land :eek:

I got the train from Madrid to Bristol recently and it was great.. far more of an enjoyable experience than flying. Flights were well expensive so it only cost me 40 quid more and I got a full day in Paris too.

Sure the taking off bit is great but the rest is a chore. When you've flown a lot, not even the sight of people wriggling and adjusting their underwear sneakily can make it more entertaining. Airports are grim and depressing... either bland and functional or chaotic and hellish. Sorry for the hate :D

Def not giving up flying but im sold on travelling more by other means in future.

And how long did it take you to get to Madrid from Bristol? The Easyjet flight takes just over 90 minutes.

Airports are grim and depressing... either bland and functional or chaotic and hellish.
Airports are ace. Shitpots like Luton aren't much fun but not much beats sitting at the window of the bar at places like LCY, having a coffee or a beer and watching the take offs and landings before you fly. Terminal 5 at Heathrow is excellent, Newquay is an awesome little airport, loads of them are great. Arrive early, travel light, pack a book and music, and the airport is a great part of the holiday unless you get huge delays, but those happen with trains too.

Airports are ace. Shitpots like Luton aren't much fun but not much beats sitting at the window of the bar at places like LCY, having a coffee or a beer and watching the take offs and landings before you fly. Terminal 5 at Heathrow is excellent, Newquay is an awesome little airport, loads of them are great. Arrive early, travel light, pack a book and music, and the airport is a great part of the holiday unless you get huge delays, but those happen with trains too.

Fly in the proper part of the plane and even a delay can be enjoyable, next month I have a flight with BA from terminal 5, have booked in for a complimentary facial at the spa and will have a nice meal followed by some drinks on the balcony. Should the flight be delayed I shall have more comp foods and drinks :)

Back
Top Bottom