Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Air travel!

APD is about a quarter of what it should be. Airlines get their fuel tax-free, because it's difficult to tax it effectively. APD ought to be set at a rate that raises as much as fuel duty would, plus a bit more as a disincentive to flying. The billions of pounds raised could be spent on improving public transport in the provincial UK that (mostly london based) air passengers pretend to care about.

APD is about a quarter of what it should be. Airlines get their fuel tax-free, because it's difficult to tax it effectively. APD ought to be set at a rate that raises as much as fuel duty would, plus a bit more as a disincentive to flying. The billions of pounds raised could be spent on improving public transport in the provincial UK that (mostly london based) air passengers pretend to care about.

UK APD is already one of the highest in the world. Really it should be lowered to stimulate growth so that more tax money can be spent on the regions. Typical of a metropolitan gentryfyer's 'I'm alright Jack' attitude.

While we're here, how much tax does the rail network generate? Shovels a lot of public money to billionaires on their tax-free islands. It's a disgrace.

I'm not fucking surprised. Funny how some companies are left to rot when in financial difficulty while others are given every help they need, in this case apparently including a fucking industry-wise tax cut.

Does Boris have family with commercial interests in Flybe, or does the airline has compromising pictures of him in their safe?

What the flying (at the time of writing) fuck??

Probably the thread not to read as I’m wallowing a 130 miles from the place and I normally fly over the place on my way home (in a few days) ...are airlines doglegging round their airspace

I'm not fucking surprised. Funny how some companies are left to rot when in financial difficulty while others are given every help they need, in this case apparently including a fucking industry-wise tax cut.

Does Boris have family with commercial interests in Flybe, or does the airline has compromising pictures of him in their safe?

What the flying (at the time of writing) fuck??

He doesn't want this to happen again... The cattle class Prime Minister: 'Low profile' Boris Johnson and girlfriend Carrie Symonds save the taxpayer tens of thousands by flying economy on £1,300 British Airways tickets to their Caribbean New Year break

Scrapped APD huh? Upgrade, sir?

UK APD is already one of the highest in the world. Really it should be lowered to stimulate growth so that more tax money can be spent on the regions.
Lower taxes to stimulate growth. Handy to have this straight-up endorsement of tory ideology quotable for the future :oldthumbsup:

Fuck the regions. They're always so keen to say how great it is where they live and terrible London is. Well, connectivity is one of the major reasons for living in a major city. Don't want to live in a city? Well, in that case its the Megabus for you lot. Enjoy your lovely scenery.

Fuck the regions. They're always so keen to say how great it is where they live and terrible London is. Well, connectivity is one of the major reasons for living in a major city. Don't want to live in a city? Well, in that case its the Megabus for you lot. Enjoy your lovely scenery printed tea towels.

FTFY

Lower taxes for those in the regions subsidised by those in London, through taxes on train fares for trains leaving London.
If you subsidise flights from the regions to London won't you just bring more gentrifying scum to the capital? Should we not be paying them to stay where they are, and "stimulate growth" there?

If you subsidise flights from the regions to London won't you just bring more gentrifying scum to the capital? Should we not be paying them to stay where they are, and "stimulate growth" there?

Who said anything about flights to London? Not everything revolves around you fella.

For as long as ticket prices in this country remain as expensive, and often plain exorbitant as they are, domestic air travel is never going to go away. Certainly in those situations when one needs to travel at short notice and peak times, which is when the TOCs are given free reign to take the fucking piss.

With walk-in fares in the region of £200+ between hubs as close as London and Manchester, I cannot blame those on a tight budget to choose to fly if it’s going to cost them significantly less, even if they have environmental concerns. And for cities 4.5h apart the appeal is even smaller of course if money is a consideration. Not to mention couples or small groups.

I remember reading one or two years ago about a grim new fare price record that had been set in this country. For the first time ever, a TOC published a train fare that broke the £1,000 barrier. I suspect in most Continental European countries they would set the TOC’s headquarters on fire on general principle.

For as long as ticket prices in this country remain as expensive, and often plain exorbitant as they are, domestic air travel is never going to go away. Certainly in those situations when one needs to travel at short notice and peak times, which is when the TOCs are given free reign to take the fucking piss.

With walk-in fares in the region of £200+ between hubs as close as London and Manchester, I cannot blame those on a tight budget to choose to fly if it’s going to cost them significantly less, even if they have environmental concerns. And for cities 4.5h apart the appeal is even smaller of course if money is a consideration. Not to mention couples or small groups.

I remember reading one or two years ago about a grim new fare price record that had been set in this country. For the first time ever, a TOC published a train fare that broke the £1,000 barrier. I suspect in most Continental European countries they would set the TOC’s headquarters on fire on general principle.
In reality, peak time short notice fares are expensive by either mode. Go on and find me a direct plane ticket from London to Manchester that's significantly cheaper than rail for tomorrow morning. Or even Friday morning. The idea that airlines provide a budget option for these kinds of routes is absolute nonsense. People who need a budget option use the bus.

It’s wrong, If I start a business, debt it up to the eyeballs and fail the government isn’t going to bail me out.

however....from a regionally selfish position, the flights into Newquay servicing north Cornwall are always packed full whatever time of the year full of people with plenty of cash to leave in the area Keeping its head above water

if there was a reliable rail service at a competitive cost and travel time it wouldn’t be necessary to fly in the money
Plymouth-London trains on a good day can do the journey in 3h 12m normally nearer 4h
last leg Plymouth-newquay takes 1h 45 on fastest day more like 2h 15 on a good day

may be worth stopping flights then all the rich fuckers will stop propping up the insane house prices and leaving houses in Cornwall empty half the time

Last edited:
There is a woman on the radio now saying the majority of flybes flights are full. Clearly something is being done badly.

I've only taken a return domestic flight once, donkeys year ago. I think it was London Edinburgh.

We don't do it much - we live in the Midlands, my parents live in the south west and my eldest lives in Scotland - it's usually her coming down to us and then returning home.

The reason we/she chooses to fly is cost/convenience/safety: cost is obvious, even just a week in advance, convenience is while she may have to sit around an airport for two hours, the flight itself is only 45 minutes or so, and the whole collection/drop-off thing happens to be easier for us because it means not having to go into a city centre, and the safety thing is that she's a pretty 16yo traveling on her own, she's had one or two problems with people on trains, but not on planes. She, like me, has also had the dubious pleasure of being sat on a broken/stuck train for several hours.

Personally i prefer to drive - it takes longer, but I have control: if the motorway is closed I can decide to take an alternative route and which one, I can decide at any stage that I'm not happy with the road conditions and stop, turn around and either go back or find a hotel - with both a train and plane those decisions are in the hands of other people, and I can't get off of I disagree with them.

If trains from the Midlands to Glasgow took two hours, cost £100 return, and didn't sit near Carstairs junction for three hours in the snow with no heating I'd very happily use them - I could read, listen to podcasts, not have to worry about what that fuckwit in the Audi with no lights on was going to do...

So you only want to drop APD on routes that don't serve London? What proportion of the domestic flight market is that?

It will be a growing market as it will stimulate growth, something those who abandoned their home communities in order to move to London for the lucre, ousting locals with glee, seem to do whatever you can to stifle less it affects their own selfish positions. Thatcher’s drones.

Fuck the regions. They're always so keen to say how great it is where they live and terrible London is. Well, connectivity is one of the major reasons for living in a major city. Don't want to live in a city? Well, in that case its the Megabus for you lot. Enjoy your lovely scenery.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or if you're just the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

I’ve genuinely not seen many empty seats on a London-Newquay-London flight in nearly three years
The reason we/she chooses to fly is cost/convenience/safety: cost is obvious, even just a week in advance, convenience is while she may have to sit around an airport for two hours, the flight itself is only 45 minutes or so, and the whole collection/drop-off thing happens to be easier for us because it means not having to go into a city centre, and the safety thing is that she's a pretty 16yo traveling on her own, she's had one or two problems with people on trains, but not on planes. She, like me, has also had the dubious pleasure of being sat on a broken/stuck train for several hours.
Apart from the cost and time advantages, flying is also a far more pleasant way to travel if you do it properly. From London you only need to be checked in an hour before the flight and if you do that online you just go straight through security, grab a coffee and go to the gate. No passport control so less than 2 hours later you are walking out of the airport in Scotland or Cornwall having travelled in comfort, probably without having your bags nicked, lor your journey delayed for several hours. If you can fly from London City you lose a bit of the cost advantage, though it's still cheaper than the train, and the little airport is an absolute delight.
Personally i prefer to drive - it takes longer, but I have control: if the motorway is closed I can decide to take an alternative route and which one, I can decide at any stage that I'm not happy with the road conditions and stop, turn around and either go back or find a hotel - with both a train and plane those decisions are in the hands of other people, and I can't get off of I disagree with them.
Same. Plus I like driving and, time permitting, will plan a route to take in some scenery and a decent lunch at a country pub. Then there's the added advantage of having a car at the other end without hiring. If there are 2 or 3 people travelling it's also even cheaper than flying.

London City was a total mess when I came through just after Christmas. Took over an hour for them to get the bags the 50 yds from the airplane to baggage reclaim. Then they came through on a different belt to the one displayed. Then it turns out my bag wasn't among the bags on the belt. It did arrive into the country that evening but it took them two days to get it across London.

London City was a total mess when I came through just after Christmas. Took over an hour for them to get the bags the 50 yds from the airplane to baggage reclaim. Then they came through on a different belt to the one displayed. Then it turns out my bag wasn't among the bags on the belt. It did arrive into the country that evening but it took them two days to get it across London.
Pah. One off incidents you're going to get with anything. I reckon I've flown in and out of there 50+ times and have had bags not arrive once but that fault was in Dublin, and one security incident that shut it down. It's a superb airport.

Pah. One off incidents you're going to get with anything. I reckon I've flown in and out of there 50+ times and have had bags not arrive once but that fault was in Dublin, and one security incident that shut down the airport. It's a superb airport.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you. My flight out wasn't a great experience either. I think the difference was flying during the Christmas break. The usual passenger profile of frequent travelling business traveler had been replaced by families and other leisure travelers. Cue chaos everywhere like every other airport.

Back
Top Bottom