Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Afghanistan: Mission Accomplished

What a charming poster you are.
“Ooooh, medieval isn’t how I’d describe the Taliban when considered alongside Islamic rule in Spain”. Seriously? Fucking Ada.

I doubt it was meant as a pinpoint accurate historical reference. If someone had called them a bunch of cunts would you be sitting there with a thumb up your arse and a gormless Roy Cropper look saying “well strictly speaking they are not a collection of vaginas”?

News is saying that the Taliban are strongly on the hunt for collaborators.

I doubt they are going to let many pass to the airport and escape.

“Ooooh, medieval isn’t how I’d describe the Taliban”.

I doubt it was meant as a pinpoint accurate historical reference. If someone had called them a bunch of cunts would you be sitting there with a thumb up your arse and a gormless Roy Cropper look say “well strictly speaking they are not a collection of vaginas”.
It adds nothing to any discussion and obscures much more than it enlightens

If term Medieval is to be used then perhaps looking at Islam in Medieval Europe for instance. Spain was under Islamic rule for much of Medieval period. For some of this it was a centre of learning and culture.

I do think its simplistic to just say Taliban follow Medieval practises.
Stoning to death for adultery? Sounds pretty medieval to me. Do they do crucifixion also?

The Taliban are just not to be trusted on any level. They said in the negotiations they wouldn't invade, they invaded, they said recently they wouldn't seek collaborators, they are hunting them down. Whatever they say, they do the opposite. Scum.

News is saying that the Taliban are strongly on the hunt for collaborators.

I doubt they are going to let many pass to the airport and escape.
Dunno. Kill too many and you jeopardise your chances of Chelsea-level Russian cash. Imprison them and you have pay for their food. I reckon just letting them go will be in the mix.

Reactions: Ax^
i'm not trying to damage the reputation of the taliban

they are a little bit quicker in processing capital punishment than even the state of texas

Last edited:
The Western NGOs serve the coloniser without whom they wouldn't operate picking up the mess it creates assisting with pulling out the tiny minority of educated people
If term Medieval is to be used then perhaps looking at Islam in Medieval Europe for instance. Spain was under Islamic rule for much of Medieval period. For some of this it was a centre of learning and culture.

The Ottomon empire banned the printing press for 100s of years undoing all the previous gains made in the Islamic world though. Probably has an impact lasting to the modern era.

Last edited:
i don't know much about military hard wear etc, but isn't it possible they might have learned how to handle these things over the years? they've been at war for decades, surely you'd think they'd have access to all sorts of hard wear and training, living in the middle of it all?

I have a fairly clear memory of (I think) John Simpson hanging out with the Northern Alliance doing a TV report in 2001 or thereabouts, and suddenly having to take cover because a ‘Taliban Jet’ entered the valley. Does that even sound plausible?

Aye. The notion that they'd leave all their tanks and guns sitting there for the Taliban to waltz into is insane. :D

Another official said that while there are no definitive numbers yet, the current intelligence assessment was that the Taliban are believed to control more than 2,000 armored vehicles, including U.S. Humvees, and up to 40 aircraft potentially including UH-60 Black Hawks, scout attack helicopters, and ScanEagle military drones.

I think Biden saying the ANA let us down and weren't reliable is the wrong way around. In any case the mission is now to (almost by whatever means) get our people and their families out. Given the obscene amounts they like to donate to the arms industry, even if it takes a fuck-ton of bribery, get as many out as possible. Drive a hard bargain sure, but then I don't even know what the terms of Trump's deal, ratified seemingly by Biden are. You've got this massive intelligence, and massive special forces budget. It's time to justify it. It's practically a hostage situation.

I'd go a bit further than you and say that it's wrong for multiple reasons to say that the Taliban follow medieval practices. Firstly because the term 'medieval' refers to the Middle Ages in Europe, and extending that term to the rest of the world is tough because the history of the rest of the world doesn't conform to Europe's historical timeline until much later, with the advent of colonialism. For example, the age of classical Islam in the Middle East could be said to have lasted until the 1870s, and someone's life would've been little different in 1850 when compared to 1400. The same critique could be applied to much of the world outside of the most developed capitalist countries of Europe, so the use of the term medieval when speaking about countries outside of those developed capitalist countries is awkward.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, in the classical period of Islam (which I'd say lasted until around 1877) very few of these so-called medieval practices would have been carried out. For example, the level of evidence required for a person to be stoned to death for adultery went far beyond the level of evidence required to be convicted under contemporary English common law. As such, truly brutal punishments would have been very rare. The question we should be asking is why are the Taliban, and regimes like them, carrying out such punishments with little regard for the classical Islamic rules of evidence?

My answer would be that they have no use for the procedural hurdles that these evidentiary requirements create, because they are an authoritarian regime that rules by fear, with a particular emphasis on the subjugation of women. Also, as I said in an earlier post in this thread, actual engagement with the sources of Sharia and Hanafi fiqh is incredibly limited in Afghanistan because much of the population is illiterate.
Stoning to death for adultery? Sounds pretty medieval to me. Do they do crucifixion also?
See above. Calling the Taliban medieval actually does a disservice to classical Islamic law, which, while not progressive by modern standards, was streets ahead of English law until well into the 19th century (on women's rights, capital punishment, and many other things).
A thread on Deobandis and the Taliban, in case anyone wants to know.

For what it's worth, the thread is good in parts but really falls down in some places too. For example, the 'clash of civilisations' framing of the issue, the simplistic solution, and the determination to link Deobandis with Wahhabis.

Medieval scumbags now seeking to target families of "collaborators".

"There are a high number of individuals that are currently being targeted by the Taliban and the threat is crystal clear," Christian Nellemann, who heads the group behind the report, told the BBC.
"It is in writing that, unless they give themselves in, the Taliban will arrest and prosecute, interrogate and punish family members on behalf of those individuals."
He warned that anyone on the Taliban's blacklist was in severe danger, and that there could be mass executions.

Back
Top Bottom