Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

I'm sure the multinational corporates are doing very well indeed - and I know you're a big fan.

But I'm talking about the grassroots/small to medium band music scene, where they've been utterly screwed by Brexit. It's all been very well documented here. Educate yourself:

Unlike 99% of successful bands. It's dawning on me you live in a self-created victmhood, where nothing is ever good and absolutely eveyrthing is going to shit.

Pretty well everywhere in the media and not this utterly depressed, niche backwater where the seemingly permanently socially awkward come to feel hip.
Oh trust me I don't want to be depressed, I want to be happily looking forward to a great post-Brexit future.

So tell me all the wonderful opportunities that Brexit is now providing for musicians/sound engineers/tour drivers/roadies etc who used to make a good living touring Europe.

Because right now I'm looking at a gig sheet stretching two years into the future with not a single date where there used to be European tour after European tour booked.

So tell me why I should be banging my mythical tambourine with Brexit-spawned joy, Mr Positive.

Unlike 99% of successful bands. It's dawning on me you live in a self-created victmhood, where nothing is ever good and absolutely eveyrthing is going to shit.
Err, do you think successful bands are somehow created in a vacuum and emerge, ready formed? Almost all successful indie/rock/alt bands start off unsuccessful and then then develop via the gig circuit. Without that circuit they would be unlikely to achieve any success.

I'd say my band are relatively successful too, releasing well received albums, touring the world and playing decent size shows in Europe - before Brexit fucked us over, of course.

So what's your advice for bands who rely on lucrative European tours to keep afloat? Or should we just write off that entire creative sector and leave it to the major labels and Ed Sheeran to provide the music?

I was curious but my googling for New Theatres was just all about hospitals adding operatng rooms to make space for the covid wards ☹️ . Maybe it’s Creatives that are building them idk.

In fairness creativity does thrive in times of darkness. Look at all the cool stuff the 80s produced.

And all the shit stuff but focus on stuff like 2000AD or something

It's absolutely nothing like the 80s any more and the kind of creativity that thrived then was very much localised and not big money-generating. Plus there was the dole

But in the 80's they had free movement across Europe.

Oh no that's not right. Darn, what ever did they do?
Fewer bands toured Europe then and it was a shitload more of a pain in the arse too, having to produce a carnet and getting your van searched at customs.

Things were made massively easier and more affordable when we joined the EU. But now we're out of the EU, things have got massively shittier again.

It's absolutely nothing like the 80s any more and the kind of creativity that thrived then was very much localised and not big money-generating. Plus there was the dole

• incompetent Labour
  • untoppable tories
  • government obsessed with Neoliberal shite
  • economic uncertainty
  • media moguls running rampant
  • racist doggerel on the rise
  • awful fashion

Sounds like the 80s to me, time to direct that anger into something beautiful

• incompetent Labour
  • untoppable tories
  • economic uncertainty
  • awful fashion

I think you'll find Tories are not untoppable and as evidence I submit airey neave, Ian gow, and the mp no one ever remembers who was killed at Brighton

Last edited:
  • incompetent Labour
  • untoppable tories
  • economic uncertainty
  • awful fashion

It terms of the creative industries, it's really not, you know. Different era, different ethos, different politics, different opportunities.

Any updates on your mate who owns a static home in Spain or the neighbour that runs some business enterprise in the EU ?
yes! Old bloke in liverpool he's not going to retire to spain anymore but i am not clear why, he's not well. Arsehole neighbours i have no idea, they're away but i dont think they can go to their spare house in france to teach yoga cos they've refused the bill gates 5g vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom