Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A song of ice and fire (AKA the spoiler thread)

half way through the third at the mo. Pleased I did start to read them after the first season of the TV show finished

I'm going to hold out until my 12hr flight in a couple of weeks. It'll be a challenge, not least to avoid JON SNOW DIES LOL type spoilers on the internet.

My copy of A dance with Dragons arrives today. Take a week to read to the 1,000+ pages and then wait 6 years until 'The Winds of Winter' is on sale then Martin will be dead and the last one won't get published. Bummer.

finished a dance with dragons. it's really long (959 fucking pages. 1015 if you count the list of houses) yet for some reason it feels like not very much happened.

i guess that because the story is told from so many different viewpoints what you get is a more personal view of a time of change.

this book as with just about all the other doesn't really work as an individual book. this is the next instalment but the point where one book ends and another begins feels somewhat arbitrary.

it seems that for ever piece we lose in the game of thrones we gain another, sometimes two. one of the slightly annoying things was the amount of time we spend with characters we don't have much investment in.

ok going into spoiler territory here and although this is the spoiler thread i think i'll give those who haven't finished the book yet a bit of a chance.

Shitting hell is jon dead?

if so as much as i'll respect the book i think my enjoyment of it might slip a little. he was one of the last characters that i felt i had real investment in. for me only tyrion feels like more of a main character. this is why all through the last book i felt a little detached. the only one i really connected with in that book was sam. the books will be epic but i'm not sure if they can stay engaging.

part of this i suppose is the desire for heroes. we want jon to be an aragorn. a scruffy ranger of the north but in him flows the blood of kings. and he has the trappings of this. he is desended from the king of the north. he has magical powers that he does not yet fully master. he rose up from the ranks to become a leader of men. and he dies with a knife in his back for upsetting the balance.

he may well be dead however as that could just be the means to set him free from the wall. there was a large amount said about wargs moving into other bodies if dying and Melisandre was hinting to use his power in his time of need not to mention red priests have been known to resurrect bodies before. hell the experience may even be the true awakening of his powers.

i guess it's up in the air at the moment and we won't find out till the next book if this will be a defining moment to mark the weakness of man or simply the tempering of the steel forged to stand against the winters night.

i dunno if it was all just a pretence and jon was just injured i will fell that was just a big tease. if he gets out magically that feels kind of wrong too. so far the magical assistance has been very slim and using it now in a big way would be strange. if he is dead... i dunno for every reason i thing he should live i also think... valar morghulis

Half way through Adwd. I'm liking it, not so much the Danys stuff though. There are a couple of shockers when I've had to put the boojk down, shake my head and shout 'Really? REALLY? C'mon George!!!'

However the stuff on the Wall and White Harbour has been excellent.

just finished A feast for Crows. Will have to pick up ADWD tomorrow.

Have to say I thought of all the series so far, AFFC is the weakest book

i think the story is sort of getting lost in the books

the first three books managed to hold together as they were doing the north vs south thing but in the last two books i feel that events are almost in a holding pattern. a couple of big things have been hinted especially in the north such as what's going on with the boltons and stannis but nothing was cleared up

this book kinda felt like a big tease for the next one

I thought the Barristan Selmy bits were really good, as were most of the Jon Snow chapters. There were enough good secondary characters (Selmy, Tormund Giantsbane) to make up for the annoying ones (that dwarf girl). The Reek chapters were quite unpleasant. The early Jon chapter with Janos Slynt was probably my favourite bit overall.

Excuse the spellings here, haven't got books to hand But this is puzzleing me. The Frog Woman. The old mystic crone Sersalie thretts over, who told her she would be queen. Does this incident occur in the first book or is it just through Sersalie's recollections we know of it? Not a massive point but it keeps cropping up and is bugging me.

I'm half way through Feast of Crows ATM. SO if there's a spoiler regarding the above, ignore me.

i don't think ice is the Starks because by nolw there are only two and a half of them left and they don't present the same dynamic as ned did

also where does the lannisers come into the title then? a song of ice, fire and dangerous cunts?

OK, OK, I read first page. But the title's pretty self evident no? Ice, The waking death of the others the whites beyond the wall and the encroaching winter, ying, to the yang, summer, fire of life,. To be restored through Deneries.

OK, OK, I read first page. But the title's pretty self evident no? Ice, The waking death of the others the whites beyond the wall and the encroaching winter, ying, to the yang, summer, fire of life,. To be restored through Deneries.
perhaps you should read a little more.

Excuse the spellings here, haven't got books to hand But this is puzzleing me. The Frog Woman. The old mystic crone Sersalie thretts over, who told her she would be queen. Does this incident occur in the first book or is it just through Sersalie's recollections we know of it? Not a massive point but it keeps cropping up and is bugging me.

I'm half way through Feast of Crows ATM. SO if there's a spoiler regarding the above, ignore me.

It's a memory from her childhood. IIRC she and a friend visit the fortune teller in Lannisport, who prophesises that Cersei's children will die and she'll be murdered by her brother. Cersei later murders her friend, which was also prophesised on the same night.

It's a memory from her childhood. IIRC she and a friend visit the fortune teller in Lannisport, who prophesises that Cersei's children will die and she'll be murdered by her brother. Cersei later murders her friend, which was also prophesised on the same night.

Aha. OK I'm definitely out of this thread now, I've seen too much.

that seems a little too... good/evil. dragon/other i could get as they are somewhat elemental but the summer = life hope etc sounds too nobel hero and evil lord for this world

What I particularly like are some of the speculations about that final Jon Snow paragraph, wrt the big prophecy that keeps being mentioned.

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt."

Back
Top Bottom