Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

I used to go to Birmingham a lot as a kid (late 60s to mid 70s) My Aunty Bridget lived there , came over from Ireland in the 50s, it became a stopping off point for her siblings (she had 13 Inc my Dad) . Used to be very Irish there , I still go up occasionally, my cousin had his 25th Wedding anniversary do there a few years ago (They have since divorced) and another cousin was running an Irish club up there, she may still be doing so.

Remembered , she managed a place called Scanlon's , an Irish Social Club. I think she now runs a place called Casey Jones.

I came across this article from 2017 quite by chance, it's about an architect who believes Birmingham has never made the most of it's interesting old buildings which I totally agree with.
I went to the Jewelry Quarter a few years ago , had a meal in a fancy pants place there. Liked it.

I went to the Jewelry Quarter a few years ago , had a meal in a fancy pants place there. Liked it.

That architect's old building conversion in Princept Street, actually the old gun quarter not far from the jewellery quarter, has a flat for sale that I absolutely love! Full of character, 2 bedrooms and only £239,000 :eek: can you imagine what that would cost in London?!!
If I didn't live in London's best borough ;) I would be very tempted to move back to Brum :D

That architect's old building conversion in Princept Street, actually the old gun quarter not far from the jewellery quarter, has a flat for sale that I absolutely love! Full of character, 2 bedrooms and only £239,000 :eek: can you imagine what that would cost in London?!!
If I didn't live in London's best borough ;) I would be very tempted to move back to Brum :D
“Only” £239K for a two bed flat. The world has gone fucking insane.

A reminder the clean air zone kicks in on June 1st. May catch a few people out that may return to work after June 21st.

Last edited:
I had to watch it again - it's great!
The old steam tram, the horses and carts, the man with the top hat pushing some of the boys aside :D
Was trying to figure where it was, thought it might be by the Town Hall but I'm not sure it looks like that?

Calls to delay CAZ charges as tram system suspended in 'fault' fiasco Calls to delay CAZ charges as tram system suspended in 'fault' fiasco

I dont drive so the CAZ issue doesnt really affect me. This suspension of the metro does though, it's the safest cleanest form of public transport we have with regards to Covid. The pressure on buses today is going to be scary with this Delta variant increasing rapidly. Last thing we need right now is this.
A bit worrying also that they wont reveal what the actual fault is, why would they hide that info?

Back
Top Bottom