Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

£108m lottery winner a furious BNP supporter

refshortsleeve.jpg

are refs fascists?
Well fascists like to dress in black and tell people what to do and refs... are completely different

You could do a hell of a lot of good with that kind of wedge.

That would be my thinking if I won the lottery - which I won't, because I buy a ticket once in a blue moon. Nevertheless, I've got it all planned out in my head. I'd keep back enough to live on, donate large sums of cash to certain charities and other organisations, and use the rest to set up a series of foundations to support the arts, improvement of the built environment and selected business start-ups in Hull and the surrounding area. £100m could make a real difference here. That said, I suspect editor is right and the reality of winning it would be pretty hard to deal with, especially in the sense of being the person who suddenly has the ability to decide what gets funded and what doesn't. I'm not sure I'd want that kind of power.

That would be my thinking if I won the lottery - which I won't, because I buy a ticket once in a blue moon. Nevertheless, I've got it all planned out in my head. I'd keep back enough to live on, donate large sums of cash to certain charities and other organisations, and use the rest to set up a series of foundations to support the arts, improvement of the built environment and selected business start-ups in Hull and the surrounding area. £100m could make a real difference here. That said, I suspect editor is right and the reality of winning it would be pretty hard to deal with, especially in the sense of being the person who suddenly has the ability to decide what gets funded and what doesn't. I'm not sure I'd want that kind of power.

i've been to Hull, and it will need quite a lot more than £100m before anyone would notice an improvement. Where are the hills to begin with? It needs some inclines to relieve that flat as a fart feeling.;);):)

i've been to Hull, and it will need quite a lot more than £100m before anyone would notice an improvement. Where are the hills to begin with? It needs some inclines to relieve that flat as a fart feeling.;);):)

I think Hull will actually get smartened up a lot, there's been lots of investment in the marina area and town centre, and its city of culture 2018.

My mum goes regularly to see family and she grew up there, and she can't believe how much it changes every time she goes back.

When you climb the highest hill in Hull you can see all the way across to Grimsby. Or is it Scunthorpe?;);):D

There are as many hills in Hull as there are in Norwich. People have to wear breathing masks when they go to bed at night due to the rareified oxygen content. Its a bit like the Himalayas in parts.

I think Hull will actually get smartened up a lot, there's been lots of investment in the marina area and town centre, and its city of culture 2018.

My mum goes regularly to see family and she grew up there, and she can't believe how much it changes every time she goes back.

True that. It's changed a lot in the two years I've lived back here, and there's a sense of things starting to happen at long last. Economically it's visibly picking up, and fingers crossed there are a few big things in the pipeline that should improve things even more. Meanwhile, in cultural terms it's much livelier than people give it credit for, and City of Culture is a huge deal in terms of attracting investment. I'm starting a job here - rather than based in London - in two weeks time. So far as I'm concerned that's me settled in Hull for the duration, and I'm quite happy with that - wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Thats a very tasteful telephone box, especially the colour. People probably need to wear shades in Hull to avoid the psychodelic dazzle effect.

i've noticed that seed plants and telephone boxes are the same(ish) colour in Hull. They probably got a job lot of paint from ebay.

True that. It's changed a lot in the two years I've lived back here, and there's a sense of things starting to happen at long last. Economically it's visibly picking up, and fingers crossed there are a few big things in the pipeline that should improve things even more. Meanwhile, in cultural terms it's much livelier than people give it credit for, and City of Culture is a huge deal in terms of attracting investment. I'm starting a job here - rather than based in London - in two weeks time. So far as I'm concerned that's me settled in Hull for the duration, and I'm quite happy with that - wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Are the white hart and the minerva, and the black boy pubs still open?

i wonder what colour the external walls of the white hart and the minerva are? hmm. let me guess.;);):)

i've noticed that seed plants and telephone boxes are the same(ish) colour in Hull. They probably got a job lot of paint from ebay.

I think only the smaller buildings are white, the bigger ones are yellowish.

And Holy Trinity Church and the big aquarium thing are completely different colours, so maybe that was only the convention for a couple of hundred years in between those structures being built.

i believe Hull faced stiff competition for its City of Culture status. Dundee, Leicester, Aberdeen, Plymouth and East Kent were all considered. Well done Hull, it was probably the mountainous terrain, along with the imaginative colour scheming that swung it.;);):D

Back
Top Bottom