Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your most underwhelming critically acclaimed multi award-winning films

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
Inspired by the discussion about Everything Everywhere All at Once, and at the risk of incurring pogofish's wrath due to a couple of vaguely similar pre-existing old threads, I thought it'd be worth to ask peeps what multi-Oscar winning critic wankfest films they have found the most underwhelming. Not necessarily bad (though that also counts), but anything that after receiving universal critical acclaim and/or cleaning up the awards season left you thinking what is wrong with everyone else after you'd watched it.

To refresh the memory here are a couple of lists showing the most Oscar-grabbing films, and a list of Best Academy Award Movie winning films.

I'll get the ball rolling with The Artist and La La Land. Not terrible per se, but I have no interest to ever watch either again in my life, and I struggle to believe all other films in competition those year were so poor those two films amassed such amount of accolades. Not that they would ever want to do it, but I'd rather they would leave some categories 'unawarded' on any given year when none of the entries are deemed of the sufficient outstanding quality.

Honorary mention to the LOTR's The Return of the King. Not a bad film for me at all, but blatantly the 11 Oscars it received were a blatant and cynical Hollywood adjustment for the lack of gongs awarded to the first two films, after it'd become apparent this had become one of the most successful and popular film franchises in history. That's not how awards are meant to work ffs. Fellowship of the Ring was a better film anyway.

There Will Be Blood, because I felt I'd been promised a genre-busting epic that would re-write the rules of cinema, and although I enjoyed it, it was just an old-fashioned Hollywood melodrama.

There Will Be Blood, because I felt I'd been promised a genre-busting epic that would re-write the rules of cinema, and although I enjoyed it, it was just an old-fashioned Hollywood melodrama.
Agreed. And interesting you mention that. Whereas I don't doubt Daniel Day-Lewis acting excellency, he has been in a few acclaimed films I found bordering on the soporific. Phantom Thread and Gangs of New York ended up boring me to bits. Great individual performances, but the former overall about as memorable as a meeting with your accountant, and the latter longer than a rail replacement bus journey to Glasgow.

Thin Red Line.

It’s basically the film equivalent of manufacturing a boy band.

Bunch of A-listers jumping on a script aimed point blank at the academy.
Dying swan scene.

On the basis of how I felt when the credits rolled at a showing on Saturday, I might add Killers of the Flower Moon to this list.:oops:
That's a 200+ minute film, no way am I going to sit in a cinema for that long - I'll watch it on the sofa eventually - over several days

Can't remember which Terrence Davies film but it was highly acclaimed and just couldn't get into it. Will try again one day.

Long films never put me off. Never understand why so many here are down on the length of a film.

Back
Top Bottom