Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yorkshire, third best region in the world!

the 'north-east' isnt a region, its a vague area with frequently changing boundaries. It is a daft government creation not recognised by locals.

the 'north-east' isnt a region, its a vague area with frequently changing boundaries. It is a daft government creation not recognised by locals.

Sorry, you're wrong. I, and many others born and bred there, would refer to it as the NE. It's logical, as it is the NE of England.

that just means you can read a compass! Its different to recognising it as a coherent entity all of its own. Would you say you came from the north-east rather than Northumberland, or Newcastle, or whatever? You would say you came from Yorkshire, or a real region, like 'the Lake District' - but 'I'm from the north-east'?? naah

Salford may be a city technically, but it just doesn't feel like one in my view after living there for years. Because it doesn't have a proper city centre it just feels odd.

Salford is a city that's had it's heart ripped out by town planners. Which is why it feels more like a massive urban sprawl without a proper centre. It still is a city though.

that just means you can read a compass! Its different to recognising it as a coherent entity all of its own. Would you say you came from the north-east rather than Northumberland, or Newcastle, or whatever? You would say you came from Yorkshire, or a real region, like 'the Lake District' - but 'I'm from the north-east'?? naah

I'm sorry but you are talking bollocks. I do say I'm from the NE.

me! how very dare you

I might say Colne is in 'the north-west' if I was talking to a yank, but anyone from Britain I'd say Lancashire (and a Cumbrian would say Cumbria/the Lakes), but otherwise it is a mere external region, imposed upon us from above.

It is not even that it is just a suburb of Manchester, it doesn't even have its own postcode. Oh and of course Salford central train station is practically in the city centre of Manchester.

Hehe - that'll start a good row! But true - I've always thought it slightly odd that it has an M postcode, when the satellite towns mostly have their own postcode prefixes, although they are all hybrids except Stockport which is just SK. Poor Tameside has three different prefixes though - that's quite sad for a town. And yes, the central station is a mere few yards from Manchester. :)

postcodes-large.jpg

It is not even that it is just a suburb of Manchester, it doesn't even have its own postcode. Oh and of course Salford central train station is practically in the city centre of Manchester.

Postcodes mean nothing - Rochdale's got an OL postcode but that doesn't mean it's part of Oldham.

And Salford Central is in Salford.

Postcodes mean nothing - Rochdale's got an OL postcode but that doesn't mean it's part of Oldham.

And Salford Central is in Salford.
Salford claims to be a city, name me anther city without it's won postcode?

As for the station, yes it is in Salford, that bit of Salfod just happens to be in the center of Manchester, rather proves my point. :p

Salford claims to be a city, name me anther city without it's won postcode?

As for the station, yes it is in Salford, that bit of Salfod just happens to be in the center of Manchester, rather proves my point. :p

Good point - I wonder if there are other cities without their own postcode. Over to you, Frances...

That bit of Salford's in the bit of Salford that borders the centre of Manchester. Salford has been fucked over by planners and such but it's still a city in it's own right even though it has fallen on hard times - The Salford people remain proud of their own identity.

E2a - As I said earlier, the postcode thing means nothing.

That bit of Salford's in the bit of Salford that borders the centre of Manchester. Salford has been fucked over by planners and such but it's still a city in it's own right even though it has fallen on hard times - The Salford people remain proud of their own identity.

Oh, you're taking this too seriously! :p

Your just saying that because you don't have an answer.

Where exactly is the boundary between Salford and Manchester anyway, if get of the train and Salford central and walk into Manchester, at what point do a cross into a different city?

Back
Top Bottom